Project Ember Tube Rolling
Sep 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #2,641 of 3,354
faraday cages deter RFI RMI  these are ususally heard when a tube has a receptive circuitry for a certain combination of site specific energy frequency.  Tube that are noisy for other reasons should not usually benefit from these cages.I find it difficult to think that tube circuitry buzz or hum could be removed with such great efficiency as to remove that from the from the effluent pathway.
Did you try your 6j5s elsewhere?

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,642 of 3,354
Yes I did try the 6J5's w/ adapter in 2 locations. It made a similar sound in my shop and at my HP listening station.

"a tube has a receptive circuitry for a certain combination of site specific energy frequency"    Perhaps I mis-spoke (sound like a politician?) and characterizing these tubes as noisy was improper and what I was hearing was RFI???

I could put my hand over the tube(s) or make a tent (w/o touching the tubes) from a sheet of aluminum foil and it got quieter so thus I made the cage.

I just know it is now STONE quiet and that's what I wanted from the cage and this HP amp!

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,643 of 3,354
It is more expensive but a copper cage is best. Since whatever the fencing material is worked, and tin foil, sort of worked, there is no obvious need.  However compared with the cost of just one really good rare old tube it may not be all that bad.  I had an audio buddy who lived near a large tower with several radio broadcast antennae, and worked with him a bit on Farraday cages.
I have been lucky myself, while I have had only a few bad 6SN7s in terms of noise,  Those I can't use but won't sell either.*  Most of my  "noisy"  6SN7s are microphonic" (only noisy the majority are fine), and then only when drummed upon while playing.  I have decided not to drum upon them.  I am fortunate in that I generally don't need to use microphonic tubes if I don't want to, because I have multiples of most.  There are some well respected tube people over on Tube Asylum of  Audio Asylum BTW that think some microphonics isn't such a bad thing, because it can add depth to the image.  It isn't unreasonable to me. The main thing is just not drumming on your tubes, but some can't help themselves. ( I wish that was pure humor, but there really are some people who when finding a flaw need to repeat it, until the tube in this example is annihilated ?ad destructio?). 
I enjoy reading about your various trials and travails with breaking apart the constituent triode sections of a 6SN7 into the 6J5 triodes.  Now if you could find a 1.5 ode two of which would make a 6J5 that would really be impressive. 

*Sometimes what goes around should not come around.  Du Hest!

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,644 of 3,354
Hey folks,
I know this is highly subjective, but those of you that have used the Ember/he560 combo for a while:what are your favourite tubes for that headphone? Something that really allows the strengths of the 560 to shine, without getting harsh or sibilant, also maintaining a nice deep rumble. Experiences?

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,646 of 3,354
Hello,

want to try some new tube goodness and have a question about tubes for my Project Ember 2.0.
What you guys think about this tube, is it legit (i mean if its sounds good)?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tube-Roehre-Telefunken-ECC81-12AT7-geprueft-mit-AVO-Mark-IV-/322122781298

if not, can somebody recommend me a good tube on a budget for about 26 Euros/Dollar?
my preferences would be rather neutral but leaning to the warmer side.

thx

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,647 of 3,354
  Hello,

want to try some new tube goodness and have a question about tubes for my Project Ember 2.0.
What you guys think about this tube, is it legit (i mean if its sounds good)?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tube-Roehre-Telefunken-ECC81-12AT7-geprueft-mit-AVO-Mark-IV-/322122781298

if not, can somebody recommend me a good tube on a budget for about 26 Euros/Dollar?
my preferences would be rather neutral but leaning to the warmer side.

thx

I use a telefunken 12AT7 for my project starlight. i got it at similar price (around 29 dollars). amazing bass and width to soundstage. lots of good presence. i only use it now.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,648 of 3,354
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the tube sounds good but what i'm not sure about (because i'm a noob) is that this specific tube is the real deal or are there things i have to look out for?

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2,649 of 3,354
  Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the tube sounds good but what i'm not sure about (because i'm a noob) is that this specific tube is the real deal or are there things i have to look out for?

Not saying there's anything wrong with that particular tube, but is it a Telefunken, is it a Siemens, where's the Telefunken factory code, why isn't there a photo of the Telefunken diamond on the underside of the glass? Why are two of the three photos apparently irrelevant to the quality of the item? Does it matter? Maybe not, it may be a very good tube-but I have a golden rule never to buy tubes from sellers who refuse returns, so I would personally avoid this seller.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,650 of 3,354

Not saying there's anything wrong with that particular tube, but is it a Telefunken, is it a Siemens, where's the Telefunken factory code, why isn't there a photo of the Telefunken diamond on the underside of the glass? Why are two of the three photos apparently irrelevant to the quality of the item? Does it matter? Maybe not, it may be a very good tube-but I have a golden rule never to buy tubes from sellers who refuse returns, so I would personally avoid this seller.

Gotcha, thanks HOWIE13. Is there a reliable Seller of tubes in Europe?

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,651 of 3,354
I don't really take much notice of the name of the seller, as long as the tube is reasonably priced, has reasonable test results and can be returned.

I've rarely had a problem, and when I have sellers have always been helpful, but then these are the sellers who allow returns. It may be more difficult if the seller specifically states he doesn't accept returns.

I'm sure there are lots of other people on HF who do have favourite sellers though, maybe they will respond to your question more directly than me. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,652 of 3,354
He has great feedback. That indicates he doesn't rip people off. That tubes looks legit but without inspecting the tube I can't say but at that price I would have no issues buying that tube from him.

Just because someone doesn't offer returns doesn't mean they do bad business. I have two Ebay stores and I do not offer returns on anything I sell. I am not a business. I sell items I bought myself. Sometimes new, sometimes used. 

Ebay has seller protection and if you pay with a credit card or paypal and you get the item and it is not legit you can return the item for a full refund via Ebay.

I love me some Telefunken tubes. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2,653 of 3,354
@amigastar  Have a read of this. Gives some insight as to what is going on.

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/

I agree with Amish that the tube you had in mind was not expensive. It's just that even if it's genuine, as it may well be, it may not sound the way you like or expected and I don't think ebay will take up a case for you against a seller just because you don't find the tube has enough bass or too much treble or wide enough sound stage, etc,etc, for your personal liking. 

As I understand it, ebay and PayPal will protect you against failure of delivery of goods or false representation, not personal likes and dislikes of sonic quality.
That's why I prefer tube sellers who allow a short period for returns, even if it's only a week and I pay for the return postage, so the seller doesn't lose out financially either and everyone is happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,654 of 3,354
Thats the exact feeling i got, namely buying fake tube even i didn't realize its possible, thanks for the article HOWIE13.
Just another reason more buying my tubes from sellers like Garage1217 even if it's oversea.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,655 of 3,354
  Thats the exact feeling i got, namely buying fake tube even i didn't realize its possible, thanks for the article HOWIE13.
Just another reason more buying my tubes from sellers like Garage1217 even if it's oversea.

Yes Jeremy is very helpful too. If you tell him the sort of sound you are seeking he will advise the best tube for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back