Project Ember Tube Rolling
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,221 of 3,354

This from an early thread on a Woo amp....
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/47/100x100px-LS-47ef8059_Headphone_Girl_by_ziksan.jpeg[/img]
  1. Seamaster
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png
  4. offline
  1. 1,962 Posts. Joined 10/2004
  2. Location: Seattle Area

Please don't wast your money on Treasure CV181. looking for round plate 6F8G is the way to go. But now days 6F8G are not cheap anymore, because more and more people realize they sound great, and price has been jumping up lately

My wallet hates me!

Yes, Seamaster (and some other HeadFi members) have tried more 6SN7's than I have and settled on the 6F8G's.  Other than being somewhat microphonic as a group, they sound great! You DO want the round (oval) plate version of either the TS or NU 6F8G. Great tubes but not great enough to beat (IMO) the V's.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,223 of 3,354
Lately I find myself with the urge to simplify (again 
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I have been pretty satisfied with the 6sn7 while I agree the Visseaux, Brimars, & others are no doubt better.  I have an Obsessive personality and I get to a point where I enter Critical Mode and everything I listen to becomes an exercise in futility. No enjoyment just trying to hear the last enth of detail / nuance.  I have to put the brakes on from time to time and pull myself outta that hole

So I am now settled on dialing back bit,  I am totally enjoying my RCA bottlecap 6sn7 (bass is SLAMMING) yes I loose some top end and some clarity +, But I gain sanity 
biggrin.gif
 I also get to listen to the music and stop worrying about best of the best ETC.......

Anyone looking for Visseaux, Brimar, Mazda, adapters etc... shoot me a PM 
L3000.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,224 of 3,354
Lately I find myself with the urge to simplify (again :veryevil: ) I have been pretty satisfied with the 6sn7 while I agree the Visseaux, Brimars, & others are no doubt better.  I have an Obsessive personality and I get to a point where I enter Critical Mode and everything I listen to becomes an exercise in futility. No enjoyment just trying to hear the last enth of detail / nuance.  I have to put the brakes on from time to time and pull myself outta that hole

So I am now settled on dialing back bit,  I am totally enjoying my RCA bottlecap 6sn7 (bass is SLAMMING) yes I loose some top end and some clarity +, But I gain sanity :D  I also get to listen to the music and stop worrying about best of the best ETC.......

Anyone looking for Visseaux, Brimar, Mazda, adapters etc... shoot me a PM :L3000:

You got PM. :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,226 of 3,354
  I just noticed that the Fivre 6c5g has an extensive soundstage. Sounds quite remarkable listening to classical music. If thats your kind of music I can recommend it.

Thanks, sneaky415!
Why do you feel the Fivre 6C5G do so well with classical compared to other types of music? I guess I'll know soon enough with them in route from Italy.

Did you get a second Visseaux 6J5g to replace the one you had that was 'buzzing'?

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,227 of 3,354
  Lately I find myself with the urge to simplify (again 
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I have been pretty satisfied with the 6sn7 while I agree the Visseaux, Brimars, & others are no doubt better.  I have an Obsessive personality and I get to a point where I enter Critical Mode and everything I listen to becomes an exercise in futility. No enjoyment just trying to hear the last enth of detail / nuance.  I have to put the brakes on from time to time and pull myself outta that hole

So I am now settled on dialing back bit,  I am totally enjoying my RCA bottlecap 6sn7 (bass is SLAMMING) yes I loose some top end and some clarity +, But I gain sanity 
biggrin.gif
 I also get to listen to the music and stop worrying about best of the best ETC.......

Anyone looking for Visseaux, Brimar, Mazda, adapters etc... shoot me a PM 
L3000.gif

Tempted to snag a THIRD pair of your 'V's to stash away.............but with the Fivre 6C5G's in route, I need to take a breath myself and LISTEN to what I have, not what I could have!!!!!!!! The last thing I need is more tubes.

With the 'V's getting scarce, you may want to think about keeping a pair of those for when you fall off the 'tube wagon' and want to hear the 'V's just one more time!!!

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,228 of 3,354

Thanks, sneaky415!
Why do you feel the Fivre 6C5G do so well with classical compared to other types of music? I guess I'll know soon enough with them in route from Italy.

Did you get a second Visseaux 6J5g to replace the one you had that was 'buzzing'?

If you think about a concert hall you have a really large stage and all the various instrument classes are placed in various positions. With the Fivres huge soundstage you can hear the instruments playing from all various positions so it feels almost like being at a concert. With more modern music the stage is smaller so the listening experience doesnt benefit as much from that kind of tube. Also the good bass gives a real full bodied sound to instruments like cellos.

I managed to get a good deal for three Visseauxs so hopefully I will have two good pairs soon 
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to reading your impressions with the Fivres.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,229 of 3,354
  If you think about a concert hall you have a really large stage and all the various instrument classes are placed in various positions. With the Fivres huge soundstage you can hear the instruments playing from all various positions so it feels almost like being at a concert. With more modern music the stage is smaller so the listening experience doesnt benefit as much from that kind of tube. Also the good bass gives a real full bodied sound to instruments like cellos.

I managed to get a good deal for three Visseauxs so hopefully I will have two good pairs soon 
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to reading your impressions with the Fivres.

Thanks sneaky415!

I guess I could use the 'V's for this genre and perhaps the 'F's for other types just as some folks use different hp. Looking forward to trying the Fivres. The only tubes that have come very close to the Visseaux were the Brimars & they, IMO, were just a bit rolled off. If I had bright or a very detailed hp, the Brimars would be very nice tubes.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,233 of 3,354
Thanks for the replies. 
  A pentode tube would need to be used as a pair with a dual adapter to be compatible with the Ember, in order to get a stereo signal.
Compatibility however depends on the voltage specs of the tube and if a dual adapter is available however, or if one can be made as I have seen others to for other amps.

BaseMiniatur-7-Pin-Base B7G, USA 1940
FilamentVf 6.3 Volts / If 0.175 Ampere / Indirect / Parallel, (AC/DC) /
I've got these infos for the EF95 tubes. Is an adaptor possible to make so that they'll be compatible with the Ember?

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,235 of 3,354
Well the Shuguang CV181-Z 50 year treasures are a treat so far.  Nice detail retrieval, pretty balanced overall 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back