Project Ember Tube Rolling
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,057 of 3,354
yea I might adjust the output resistance on my starlight n see If I can't get better results. That or just sell it with a bunch of tubes n buy the ember ii

the store also offered me an equal ish exchange, so I'm not sure yet what i'll do

Could be bad tubes, could be that those tubes require too much power. If they're cool, there's definitely something not up to snuff.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,058 of 3,354
Anyone tried a 6C5G tube with ember? I read somewhere that it is a predecessor of 6J5 tubes, they're quite nice looking tube, I just couldn't find a review or impression about 6C5G, maybe they're not really popular but it may sound nice with the ember too

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,059 of 3,354
  Anyone tried a 6C5G tube with ember? I read somewhere that it is a predecessor of 6J5 tubes, they're quite nice looking tube, I just couldn't find a review or impression about 6C5G, maybe they're not really popular but it may sound nice with the ember too

Yep-Russian ones were nice and airy, detail rather than warmth. Good dynamics and had the holographic soundstage that typifies the 6J5 class.
Hytrons were very warm and rich- lovely sound BUT hum was too intrusive with most cans.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,060 of 3,354
  Well the 76's arrived and they sound good! Bass is really taut, sound stage is wide, good balance of warmth and smoothness on the top end... they do how ever Clip something NASTY with any really low synth Sub Bass.

I did notice they stayed REALLY really cool while in my starlight, so I might let them burn in a little over night. See if that helps any 

I'm wondering how the Ember might differ, given it's a little more powerful than my lil starlight 

Thanks for your impressions, they should sound even better with some burn in. My 76's should be with me sometime next week so I can let you know how they sound in the Ember.

I have also got a little bonus tube incoming, the Visseaux 6A6. I read some positive reviews of it in the Elise thread 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,061 of 3,354
  Yep-Russian ones were nice and airy, detail rather than warmth. Good dynamics and had the holographic soundstage that typifies the 6J5 class.
Hytrons were very warm and rich- lovely sound BUT hum was too intrusive with most cans.

Thanks HOWIE13! They're plug and play into the 6J5 adapter correct? If yes, I might get the fivre 6c5g with the brown base.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,062 of 3,354

Thanks for your impressions, they should sound even better with some burn in. My 76's should be with me sometime next week so I can let you know how they sound in the Ember.

I have also got a little bonus tube incoming, the Visseaux 6A6. I read some positive reviews of it in the Elise thread 
smile_phones.gif

Also do you have an adapter for them? If not I'd love to sell you mine, as I may not need it any longer 

Quote:
  i have the sunrise iii, it has a little power, and cost a little less, it runs in class a too, 
i'm very pleased with it

I might just jump right to the Ember II so I can use my HE 4 with it as well 

Could be bad tubes, could be that those tubes require too much power. If they're cool, there's definitely something not up to snuff.

Well my seller has offered me a equal value Trade, and appreantly they have higher Plate Resistance and a low Mu, meaning they clip with a low plate voltage, I'm going to adjust the Output Resistance and see if they improve 

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,063 of 3,354
just plain, everyday galvanized  hardware fabric, still needs some finishing touches, i need to clean up the edges, probably a little more duct tape
it just slides on and off, the ground wire has a spade connector on one end, and an alligator clip on the other
and best of all, not a buzz, crackle, hum ! 

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,064 of 3,354
Also do you have an adapter for them? If not I'd love to sell you mine, as I may not need it any longer 

It's a pity with those clipping problems. I already have the adapter but I have my external power supply connected to it so I might be willing to buy another adapter, let me think about it. Are you putting your Mazda 76's up for sale as well?

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,065 of 3,354
  just plain, everyday galvanized  hardware fabric, still needs some finishing touches, i need to clean up the edges, probably a little more duct tape
it just slides on and off, the ground wire has a spade connector on one end, and an alligator clip on the other
and best of all, not a buzz, crackle, hum ! 

Ok, now we need some of these.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,068 of 3,354

smile_phones.gif

If it's anything like the Ken-Rad 6A6 I'm listening with just now you are in for a real treat.

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,069 of 3,354
  It's a pity with those clipping problems. I already have the adapter but I have my external power supply connected to it so I might be willing to buy another adapter, let me think about it. Are you putting your Mazda 76's up for sale as well?

I might be, I paid $83 for the Adapter an the Tubes, my SEller is willing to let me do an "equal value" exchange but I'd rather sell em both to some one here for like $70 or something, but I'm not sure if I want to sell these or try to buy a Ember II first then try the Mazda 76s in that amp 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back