Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jan 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,441 of 3,354
Mr. Mechans1, 

Roger Modjesky, yes, I met him some 4 Decades ago, verrrry interesting fellow, he and Art Ferris ( who's Modelus pre-amps I sold aplenty ).

Thanks for mentioning all this.   I had a nice look-over what Roger has to say about the Tube history he's uncovered and now reveals. Again he's proving to be an interesting resource.  hmm.

I do get your point about those ETA valves.  The Aluminum devices seem to be a solution to a problem I've never encountered  : microphonic-tubes.  Audiophiles love little do-dad thingy sorts of add-ons, I've seen folks having their speaker cables off the floor by an elaborate trestle systems, I suppose a little something to wrap around a glass tube would appeal to our neurotic nature, doesn't hurt so what's the harm? I won't buy into it. 

Roger's RAM tube effort is aimed at the low noise Phono Amplifier group, he know's his stuff and can be trusted to pre-select properly, I suppose, for a price.  I'd be relying on him if I was still vinyl.  There seems to be a group of Tube Vendors offering product of widely ranging quality, a reliable such person could be a treasure and going on Tube hunts could become an interesting adventure.  I like the hunt part, seems like fun to me.   And I like the one tube Amplifier concept.

Now that I think about it, the Schiit Valhalla 2 with 4 tubes would not have been an ideal purchase for me, I didn't realize it until Atomicbob was exploring and writing about the Project Sunrise 3.  All of a sudden the twin-triode Amp concept snaped into focus. ( by the way, dual-triodes are different than twin-triodes, just reading Roger's stuff reveals this important distinction ).  

Thanks for writing me about this, 2016 is starting out as another learning curve for this old dog.

Tony in Michigan 

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,442 of 3,354

I really only wanted the EAT question sorry about that.
EAT is a company that takes ordinary and frequently very inexpensive  tubes   Chinese run of the mill tubes, they glue on their aluminum anodized heat sink jacket, says abra cadrabra  -this is a very fine, and  selected, expensive tube,  The pricing is absurdly high even if they do select them and I think part of their schtick..  You know some products made intentionally expensive so they can say it's  a  rare and expensive. 
If for some reason you want a similar  aluminum jacket  Brente Jessee at audiotubes.com has that kind of device for damping. If for some reason you need ultra low noise tubes e.g. in a phono stage check out,  RAM labs . He even has NOS selected and tested low noise tubes , none of his tubes is cheap but compared with EAT he's a bargain. He is Rodger Modjeski  BTW, He makes tube amps with unique  architecture, but I don't think he makes headphone amps. 

Mr. Mechans1, 

Roger Modjesky, yes, I met him some 4 Decades ago, verrrry interesting fellow, he and Art Ferris ( who's Modelus pre-amps I sold aplenty ).

Thanks for mentioning all this.   I had a nice look-over what Roger has to say about the Tube history he's uncovered and now reveals. Again he's proving to be an interesting resource.  hmm.

I do get your point about those ETA valves.  The Aluminum devices seem to be a solution to a problem I've never encountered  : microphonic-tubes.  Audiophiles love little do-dad thingy sorts of add-ons, I've see folks having their speaker cables off the floor by an elaborate trestle systems, I suppose a little something to wrap around a glass tube would appeal to our neurotic nature, doesn't hurt so what's the harm? I won't buy into it. 

Roger's RAM tube effort is aimed at the low noise Phono Amplifier group, he know's his stuff and can be trusted to pre-select properly, I suppose, for a price.  I'd be relying on him if I was still vinyl.  There seems to be a group of Tube Vendors offering product of widely ranging quality, a reliable such person could be a treasure and going on Tube hunts could become an interesting adventure.  I like the hunt part, seems like fun to me.   And I like the one tube Amplifier concept.

Now that I think about it, the Schiit Valhalla 2 with 4 tubes would not have been an ideal purchase for me, I didn't realize it until Atomicbob was exploring and writing about the Project Sunrise 3.  All of a sudden the twin-triode Amp concept snaped into focus. ( by the way, dual-triodes are different than twin-triodes, just reading Roger's stuff reveals this important distinction ).  

Thanks for writing me about this, 2016 is starting out as another learning curve for this old dog.

Tony in Michigan 

I agree that website was golden! I might wind up just buying the StarLight I have an getting some tubes to roll into it! 

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #1,443 of 3,354
  Yes, I bought from Yitry.
I see the VT-94 is being sold for nearly 4 times the price from Italy. I'll keep well away from them at that price. 

Looks like Yitry ran out.  I sure hope he gets more at that same price.  
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #1,445 of 3,354
Ran out! The horror! I've been eyeing the visseaux but had to wait till my budget allows. Sure hope he gets stock from somewhere

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I know.  I'm going to go cry myself to sleep on my pillow now... if you'll excuse me...

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #1,446 of 3,354
Don't get too downhearted yet. Get a pair of National 6L5G. They're very close to the Visseaux.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,447 of 3,354
Don't get too downhearted yet. Get a pair of National 6L5G. They're very close to the Visseaux.

Tommo21 is absolutely correct about 6L5's -and they can be just as suited for certain music and cans.
I've only had experience of NU 6L5's but I have some RCA's coming so will report whether they are similar or not.
Another to consider, which has something of the vivid sound of the Visseaux, and retains the sweetness of the treble, is the Pinnacle, and they are still available and a reasonable price too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6J5GT-PINNACLE-NOS-/260747100869?hash=item3cb5bd02c5

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,449 of 3,354
What about these? In the first link one of the bottles is slightly smaller but...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Paire-triodes-appariees-56-VISSEAUX-Amplification-audio-NOS-NIB-100-OK-RARE-/291653498993?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Paire-triodes-appariees-6J5G-VISSEAUX-NOS-en-rouleaux-de-guerre-100-OK-/291653498989?nav=SEARCH

EDIT: I must have ordered one of the last pairs from Yitry (but not the last, he had more after I ordered), I hope he gets more!
EDIT2: Don't use the first link!

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,450 of 3,354
What about these? In the first link one of the bottles is slightly smaller but...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Paire-triodes-appariees-56-VISSEAUX-Amplification-audio-NOS-NIB-100-OK-RARE-/291653498993?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Paire-triodes-appariees-6J5G-VISSEAUX-NOS-en-rouleaux-de-guerre-100-OK-/291653498989?nav=SEARCH

EDIT: I must have ordered one of the last pairs from Yitry (but not the last, he had more after I ordered), I hope he gets more!

I'm sure Yitry had 124 at one time. It might be worth contacting him to see if he has any more, meantime those two above look the real deal.
Two of mine are also slightly different sized bottles-but sound isn't obviously different. Good luck.

EDIT: SEE SNEAKY415  POST BELOW # 1454. THE FIRST LINK IS A VISSEAUX 56 AND NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STOCK EMBER/EMBER 2.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,451 of 3,354
Actually, I'm happy with my zenith 6J5s but since no one else seem to be using it, there's no point of reference to compare to. I may check out the Viss in a month or so if there are any reasonable ones around.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,452 of 3,354
Anyone tried any of the Mullard 6J5s?

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,453 of 3,354
Not that I've seen. I admit to buying the coke bottle shaped ones coz of how it looks LOL.
Mullard 6J5s are straight tubes so I just skipped.

They should be good based on their other tubes. But as usual, someone needs to try first.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,454 of 3,354

The first link is for Visseaux 56. It requires a different adapter than for 6j5g, it also requires an external power supply for the heater  since it is 2.5 volts. I actually bought four Visseaux 56 from the same guy. It is a really nice tube, a little bit darker sounding but the bass is superb. Very good with live performances. One of my favourite tubes along with GEC L63 and a few others.

I am now a bit uncertain if I will ever buy the Visseux 6j5g due to its price and availability, I also have plenty of other tubes in my inventory to play with.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,455 of 3,354
RetroValves

Somebody on the Schiit Site mentioned the Solid State Tubes that Schiit offer and mentioned the Retrovalves that are now being offered to the Pro-Audio Guitar Amp owners that use the 12AX7.   Retrovalves cost $6 to $11 depending on desired gain, they seem to have LED color lights for each of the three gains offered. They are said to present the same sound quality of Vacuum Tubes.  

What will they think of next, driverless cars? 

Tony in Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back