Project Ember Tube Rolling
Dec 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,321 of 3,354
I rolled a new tube in the Ember, it's a GEC L63 (CV1067). Basically it's the European version of the 6j5g. Really nice tube from top to bottom. One of my favourite tubes so far for the Ember and I've rolled quite a few.

I haven't tried the Visseaux 6j5g so I don't know how it compares. I will buy the Visseaux some day but I have been spending way too much money on audio stuff lately so my wallet needs some time to heel first 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,322 of 3,354
  I was scrounging through my pile o' tubes and found a pair of NOS GE (branded for RCA) 6BL7GTs. Has anyone ever tried one of these in their G1217 or other amp? The 6BL7 is a dual triode with a 6SN7 pinout and looks like it has been used in audio applications before, but it appears to have mainly been used as a vertical oscillator in TVs.

Like some others said the heater current is 1.5 A so you would need external heater supply for it to work in the Ember. I read that it was used as a television frame generator so I don't know if it is any good for audio.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,323 of 3,354
Let me ask indelicate question, how much in round figures, do the Visseaux 6J5s cost?   Also - and please don't answer with specifics, are there regular dealers who carry this the 6J5 and the Visseaux brand? I Imagine if they are in short supply, that blabbing the name of this supplier all over won't t help hose who really feel the need for these tubes.
Back to the more mundane world of  rolling 6SN7s in the Ember.  I have tried as of late, NU black  and  Grey glass, the VT231 bottom getter GT and Bad Boy variant also from the brand the original  Chrome Dome top getter GTs and Ws all made by Sylvania and left plenty for next time  Today is NU, I should tell you, that despite my long and  colorful way of writing, what  I want to convey, that I am, by contrast, terse in my audio appraisals .
The NU black is a very well known commodity in this community as being true and non colored while the Grey attacks with a softer edge and presentation.  The Grey therefore perhaps would be well received by those whose preferences run warm and organic. The NU black glass is very different it sounds very linear clean but not overly stark or cold. It manages  decent detail and and good sound stage .  I think it is a very good all rounder making no errors mistakes or serious weakness or by that same token doing one thing exceptionally well.  My though here was good all rounder and a great choice for someone rolling up the 6SN7 ladder.  It even includes the eye pleasing and cool allure of a black glass.
More on the others in a future episode of Mechans1 presents..

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,325 of 3,354
Eber can be used as a pre amp according to Garage  1217.  The next big project might be a headphone tube power amp that works with the Ember II pre. amp. I would be interested in such a project  If some flexibility for the power tube used is built in that would be  very welcome.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,326 of 3,354
Oh yes, several of us have already put this feature into play, with both headphones and speakers. The Ember is a solid performer as a pre-amp, AKA tube buffer. Simply use the RCA line out on the back and remove the headphone plug, and the preamp feature is activated, and the volume level is still controlled by the knob.

Now that I have the LC amp, I don't even use the amplification of the Ember anymore. I use it only as a preamp to the LC amp, or to my electrostatic amp. This way I get the flavor of the other amp, with the sonic goodness of the tubes I'm using. And I'm shocked at how well this works - after many careful comparisons feeding the LC direct vs. indirect thanks to it's instant input selector switch, I was able to notice absolutely 0% signal degradation although it's a longer signal path, and with the Visseaux tubes anyway, I get a bit more organic presentation with larger soundstage.

It's interesting to note however, that I have determined the Ember to have a better amplification stage than the LC while in SE mode (normal) headphone connection on some headphones, and the LC was better with others. However with the balanced headphone out on this amp, it's no contest so the Ember comes in as a preamp.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,327 of 3,354
Merry Christmas to all reading!

For whatever it's worth, here are my initial impression notes on the several tubes I've been playing with for the last couple of weeks in my new Ember.

I'm yet to buy a pair of HD650 in the beginning of the year and a pair of LCD-2 later. I use my Ember set to low impedance with my Fidelio X2, Denon AH-MM400, Focal Spirit Classic.

Raytheon 12AU7 (long black plates) - overall very musical tube, natural smooth bass w/ noticeable bleed into mids, beautiful mids (piano, trumpet) and lush vocals, tamed highs w/ enough detail, a bit narrow soundstage with good depth

Matsush(i)ta 12BH7A - very interesting tube, fast bass and high overall energy in attacks, good details in highs, wide soundstage, sometimes hollow mids, nice realistic shimmer of guitars, best for rock & blues, vocals and piano are not very lush for my tastes.

GE 6SN7GT - balanced, overall airy and detailed sound, fast bass, wide soundstage, little dry mids and vocals, not very smooth highs.

Sylvania 6SN7GTA (Chrome dome, long base) - very balanced with great detail, natural bass (not too slow, not too fast), relaxed smooth vocals, extended upper mids, polite but detailed highs, sometimes too much air sensing void between instruments

Russian 6H6П (6N6P) - soft, smooth, relaxed, musical, not for critical listening, good for modern low DR recordings, narrow soundstage, complete lack of harshness in highs, makes the Fidelio X2 with its dryer sometimes edgy highs to sound lush almost like HD650.

JJ ECC82 (Slovak 12AU7) - the controled bass is its strong point, slightly U-shape soundtsage, sometimes hollow mids, not refined highs

Shuguang 6N6-T - overall balanced & fast, SS amp sound signature alike, fast dry controled bass, harsh sounding highs, nicer w/ good quality recordings, likes clean source

(Russian) Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH - I don't like this sound type at all, lean, lack of bass, too much highs, forward vocals, good to tame bassy tracks

GE 6DJ8 (smoked glass) - can't comment on this tube, it just sounds PERFECT, I guess that's the sound I bought the Ember for. It makes me spend money to try other brands' 6DJ8s.

A Telefunken 12AU7 and RCA 6SN7 are coming my way. I guess I'll settle when I try some 12AT7 particularly Mullard or Philips, also want to try a few more 12AX7 and 12BH7A, and definitely more 6DJ8.

I'm using the Ember with my ODAC (part of my ODAC/O2 combo). I hope somebody can comment if I can get noticeable improvement from another dedicated desktop DAC in $300-400 price range?

Cheers!

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,328 of 3,354
 Bobmonkhouse I wish you the best and to all of you the same also !

My experience with the bushmaster mk II was very  good.... Emotiva stealth dac is also a good choice ... The two are under 400 dollars.... I will upgrade in one year in the 1000 dollars range ....read about these 2... No really negative review about these 2
smile.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,330 of 3,354
I've got the Shuguang CV181-Z. It's a good tube-very quiet, well balanced, clear and warmish sound-nothing stands out particularly in it's frequency output and its sound stage is comparable to other 6SN7's.
I buy my adapters from:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Dual-6J5G-6C5G-VT-94-CV1932-L63-VR67-TO-ECC88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/201458214762?hash=item2ee7d8676a:g:j5EAAOSwhcJWM0XX.
I've found him very reliable and helpful.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,331 of 3,354
I have bought a few adapters from the same seller and quality is usually quite good

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,333 of 3,354
Welp, keeping both the 6LG5 and 6J5. After got G-Cush pads, I managed to balance out the tubes and sounds to my liking.

6L5G + G-Cush pads
Highlights bass. Some of the heavier metal songs I play sounds nice on this combo. It still has great mids and decent highs. On stock pads the voices sound too recessed for my liking.

6J5 + L-Cush pads
Beautiful guitars and strings. Vocals are almost magical. Combo is perfect for guitar riffing songs, violins and female vocalist especially. 

6J5 + G-Cush pads
Funny thing, 6J5 + G-Cush improves the staging a lot but the vocals sound like they're somewhere off stage. It works perfectly for movies though as I can hear directional audio much better. Also can hear much more going on without everything getting muddled together.

So I'm all set for now. Will be enjoying these tubes till someone else stumble on some other magical formula LOL.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,334 of 3,354
  Hey guys, I just read on another thread that it seems the 2C22 and 6N8S are variants of the 6SN7. So perhaps these would work on the Ember too...

Edit: looks like 2C22 is the same as 7193

Yes, I interchanged RCA 7193 with their 2C22. They look and sound identical. Those 6N8S would be interesting to try. You never know what nice old Russian tubes are just waiting to be re-discovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back