Project Ember Tube Rolling
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #121 of 3,354
Hi, has anyone of you tried 6n6p or ecc99?
I found some of them really cheap on ebay so I ordered one of each of them.
Just curious about the sound.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #122 of 3,354
An interesting thing about the 6N(or H)P. It is also used as the power tube in the Little Dot MKIII, which I also have. It can't be used in a stock Ember--too much heater current draw, about 800 ma.

I run one in my PS2 until I upgrade my Ember. I find the sound to be similar to a 5751, very robust and punchy.

It also sounds good in the LD MKIII

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #123 of 3,354
This might be a silly question, but I am in the market to get a Project Ember to pair with my aune t1 and LCD 2, and I was wondering what the 1a+ sc heater option did? I tried google but came up blank.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #124 of 3,354
  An interesting thing about the 6N(or H)P. It is also used as the power tube in the Little Dot MKIII, which I also have. It can't be used in a stock Ember--too much heater current draw, about 800 ma.

I run one in my PS2 until I upgrade my Ember. I find the sound to be similar to a 5751, very robust and punchy.

You do know about the supercharger that makes it a 1a heater right? Or are you just saying the oldish embers without them.
This might be a silly question, but I am in the market to get a Project Ember to pair with my aune t1 and LCD 2, and I was wondering what the 1a+ sc heater option did? I tried google but came up blank.

Allows for more tubes to be used, mainly tubes that required more heater current.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #125 of 3,354
Well I just have to wait and see for myself. My question was directed to the members with Ember+supercharger, thanks anyway.

I think I will have my E80CC SQ today, depends on the lousy Swedish post office. ..
My 6n6p will come at the end of next week.

By the way, thanks for the recommendation of the 12bh7a tubes. I don't remember who told me about it but the RCA red lettering, halo getter is pure magic.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #127 of 3,354
I wish I could say I could notice more of a difference when changing tubes on this amp. So far I've tried: Stock tube, NOS Amperex Orange Globe, NOS Amperex Bugle Boy, and a few other 6v and 12v selections I picked up. I have tried all three impedance settings with MS2i's and DT990 Pro's, and Im really not sure if I can REALLY hear the difference...and I am a musician with pretty damn good ears. Is it because its a hybrid amp and not an OTL perhaps? Or is it just me?

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #128 of 3,354
  I wish I could say I could notice more of a difference when changing tubes on this amp. So far I've tried: Stock tube, NOS Amperex Orange Globe, NOS Amperex Bugle Boy, and a few other 6v and 12v selections I picked up. I have tried all three impedance settings with MS2i's and DT990 Pro's, and Im really not sure if I can REALLY hear the difference...and I am a musician with pretty damn good ears. Is it because its a hybrid amp and not an OTL perhaps? Or is it just me?

Strange I can instantly hear the difference. Generally when I listen for the differences between them I listen for certain things in the same song. There is a huge tonal difference between something like a Bugle Boy and a Telefunken to my ears, along with the comparison to the stock tube.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #129 of 3,354
  Strange I can instantly hear the difference. Generally when I listen for the differences between them I listen for certain things in the same song. There is a huge tonal difference between something like a Bugle Boy and a Telefunken to my ears, along with the comparison to the stock tube.

Hmmm ya. I guess I was expecting an obvious "overall" change in sound, maybe I can try focusing in on something. But then if I have to focus to notice should I really care? :p

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #131 of 3,354
  Save yourself lots of $ and pain...go solid state :wink:

I have a magni on my night stand. 
o2smile.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #132 of 3,354
Well when the new ss amp is ready from Garage 1217, you will have even more choices.  It sounds like a pretty decent offering from what Jeremy is saying.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #133 of 3,354

You do know about the supercharger that makes it a 1a heater right? Or are you just saying the oldish embers without them.

Allows for more tubes to be used, mainly tubes that required more heater current.

Yes, I do know. I am saying that I was  playing the 6N6P before the SC was conceived.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #134 of 3,354
Anyone want to go halfies with me on a Mullard 12ax7 cv4004 and Telefunken 12at7? Both tubes with good tests for $43 shipped to USA. The Mullard is from Tubemaze and TeleFunken from an eBay seller, I'd be willing to share link/proof of purchase. Only need 1 of each and sellers are selling in pairs, PM if interested.

Quoted from OP:

Mullard CV4004
This particular tube was amazing with Daft Punk. This would be the tube to buy if you wanted an upgraded Mad Dog sound signature and owned the Alpha Dogs. It gave it a bit darker presentation, with good mids and decent bass. It was lacking a bit in treble, with a bit more sibilance than other tubes. The sound stage sounded a bit reduced. Overall this was a decent sounding tube.

Telefunken 12AT7
This was by favorite tube of the AT7 family I tested. It had the best details of all the tubes listed. It did not do anything bad nor did it do excel at any one thing (other than detail). It was my favorite flat tube, and probably the tube I will use the majority of the time. I did find the treble could be a bit harsh at times, but I think that is mostly due to the detail. My brother found this tube to be a bit tinny sounding, and my dad found the bass a touch lacking. However neither bugged me too much. As I found its other traits to pay off. This tube also had a really crisp sound to it. Just an great balanced tube over all.

May 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #135 of 3,354
Has anyone tried an Amperex 7308 white PQ shield type tube with their Project Ember? I'm currently using an Amperex HP 6DJ8 with white lettering made in Holland but I'm thinking about upgrading to the 7308 in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back