Project Ember Review
Mar 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,218 of 1,366
  Has anyone upgraded from the Vali 2 to the Project Ember?  I know the Ember is a more versatile amp than the V2 but assuming the same tube is being used in both amps is there much (or any) sonic differences between these 2 hybrids? 

I believe @HOWIE13 has (or had at one time) owned both the Vali 2 and Ember.
He helped me when I was considering going from a Vali 2 to a Project Starlight. I ended up selling the Vali 2 and bought the Starlight! While I enjoyed the Vali 2 the Starlight was a VERY nice step up for me in SQ.

Granted, the Starlight is not an Ember II, but I don't regret selling the Vali 2 for the Project Starlight at all. Hopefully HOWIE13 will chime in and give you his take on these 2 amps.

HOWIE13 also had notes, from owning a Starlight, and gave me some op-amp reviews that I found very helpful.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #1,219 of 1,366

I believe @HOWIE13 has (or had at one time) owned both the Vali 2 and Ember.
He helped me when I was considering going from a Vali 2 to a Project Starlight. I ended up selling the Vali 2 and bought the Starlight! While I enjoyed the Vali 2 the Starlight was a VERY nice step up for me in SQ.

Granted, the Starlight is not an Ember II, but I don't regret selling the Vali 2 for the Project Starlight at all. Hopefully HOWIE13 will chime in and give you his take on these 2 amps.

HOWIE13 also had notes, from owning a Starlight, and gave me some op-amp reviews that I found very helpful.

That does indeed say it all.
Ember is well worth to my ears the $150 extra cost compared to Vali2, even though Vali2 is excellent value for money and still a good amp.
I've never compared the amps tube for tube as I have always taken advantage of Ember's great configurability to suit the music I listen to.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,220 of 1,366
  Has anyone upgraded from the Vali 2 to the Project Ember?  I know the Ember is a more versatile amp than the V2 but assuming the same tube is being used in both amps is there much (or any) sonic differences between these 2 hybrids? 

Ember is so much more configurable that it isn't really possible to do a tube for tube comparison, not would it be realistic as Ember has no 'default' setting. It's a chameleon amp, altering it's characteristics according to the sound you wish for.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,222 of 1,366
My faithful LD I+ had to move out to make room for the new family member:

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,223 of 1,366
I think you'll be impressed.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,224 of 1,366
I think you'll be impressed.

I am :wink:

Honestly I think I've got a couple of really good amplifiers in the Burson Conductor V2+ and my HA-200 mono blocks but the Ember still impress me, I like it :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,226 of 1,366
hello,

what tube did you use ? the stock one ?

Hey, if you're asking me mine came with a very nice Conn tube pre installed. I've also tried it with a unknown 6SN7 tube but so far I prefer the Conn one but I've only got a couple of hours with it so far.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,228 of 1,366
Well conn is the brand ? 
Did you know the model / version ? and why is great ?

Yes, Conn is the brand. It's great because I like it :wink: Honestly I've only listened to the Ember for a couple of hours. Give me a couple of more days and I'll try to give you some more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back