Prog rock
Dec 12, 2006 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,411

warMen

100+ Head-Fier
What are your favorite prog rock bands? Mine are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

I'm also a big progressive metal listener. Bands like Circus Maximus (they rule), Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Amorphis, Ayreon, and sometimes stuff like Canvas Solaris.

Anyone have any similar tastes or even recommendations? There's just so much stuff in the progressive rock and metal genres. There's always these side projects. I can't even count how many side projects Mike Portnoy has done. I just love long, indulgent passages and the song structures that take you on a journey.

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 4,411
Looks like you're really into the newer stuff. Check out some King Crimson - the classic 70s stuff like Red and Larks' Tongues in Aspic should be up your alley.

Of the current batch of prog bands, the first name that came to mind was Indukti, you'd like them for sure. They've got kind of a heavier Porcupine Tree/Riverside sort of thing going.

A few good resources if you're not already acquainted with them-

http://www.gepr.net/
http://www.gnosis2000.net/
http://www.progressiveears.com/
(shameless plug) http://www.progreviews.com/

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 4,411
If you like Camel you might also like Caravan.

Try at least these albums:

In the Land of Grey and Pink
For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night

For Porcupine Tree fan this album is a must-have: Blackfield - Blackfield.

Try also Alan Parsons Project, Genesis, A Perfect Circle, Jeff Beck, Marillion, Rush and Tool.

So what do I listen to myself? I think it's useless to list my preferences here when you can just click the last.fm link in my sig.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the most important one.
rolleyes.gif

Pink Floyd. My all-time favorite rock band.

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 4,411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Camel you might also like Caravan.

Try at least these albums:

In the Land of Grey and Pink
For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night

For Porcupine Tree fan this album is a must-have: Blackfield - Blackfield.

Try also Alan Parsons Project, Genesis, A Perfect Circle, Jeff Beck, Marillion, Rush and Tool.

So what do I listen to myself? I think it's useless to list my preferences here when you can just click the last.fm link in my sig.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the most important one.
rolleyes.gif

Pink Floyd. My all-time favorite rock band.

Yeah I have the Blackfield disc.. it's excellent
cool.gif
And I hear that SW and that other dude are working on another blackfield album
biggrin.gif

I do like King Crimson, I should've mentioned them. I only have in the court of the crimson king, though. Maybe I should pick up a newer album.

Anyone have some more obscure prog metal recommendations? I know most of the big prog metal bands, a la DT, Symphony X, etc. Should I pick up an OSI album? And this Indukti stuff is pretty cool
cool.gif

What I'm really trying to do is get a new CD to listen to right when I get my new hd595s
wink.gif
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 4,411
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have some more obscure prog metal recommendations?

Yes. Stylistic variations are a given since your OP mentioned everything from prog rock to tech/death metal. Sorry about the mini-wall of text -

Abydos, Adagio, After Forever, Agalloch, Aghora, Alarum, Alchemist, Andromeda, Arcturus, Ark, Atheist, Atrox, Beyond Twilight, Blind Guardian, Bubblemath, California Guitar Trio, Conception, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Dreamscape, Dysrhythmia, Elegy, Enslaved, Estradasphere, Evergrey, Explorer's Club, Farmakon, Frameshift, Frantic Bleep, Freak Kitchen, Green Carnation, Gordian Knot, IQ, Isis, Jon Finn Group, Katatonia, Koenjihyakkei, Kong, Liquid Tension Experiment, Madder Mortem, Magnitude Nine, Mar de Grises, Marillion, maudlin of the Well, Naamah, Novembre, Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pagan's Mind, Pantommind, Planet X, Portal, Ram-Zet, Redemption, Sleeping People (awesome), Spastic Ink, Spiral Architect, Subterranean Masquerade, Textures, The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Tiamat, Time of Orchids, Ulver, Upsilon Acrux, Vanden Plas, Voivod...

I didn't include much of the more extreme left-field type stuff that I own, since I'm not sure exactly what your tolerances are.

edit: As for OSI - The ST is good. Skip their second.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 4,411
I can't speak to a lot of the recent stuff cited by other posters. When I think prog-rock, I think 70s and early 80s. If you want to dip your toe in this pool, check out this sampler:

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-F.../dp/B0000033T5

The only recent stuff I am familiar with which might qualify are Tortoise and The Sea and Cake.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 4,411
My favourite prog albums:
Solaris-Book of Prophecies Nostradamus : it's an underrated album, but it's a must have album.
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Dracula Opera Rock
Riverside-Second life syndrome is a masterpiece
Green Carnation - Light of day, day of darkness

to Patu : is A perfect circle a prog band ? I don't think so, they're pop rock/alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back