Prog rock
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,507 of 4,306
59893C77-DE0C-4698-91B1-28C95D408AEF.jpeg

More along the lines of Progressive Metal than Progressive Rock.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #2,508 of 4,306
Anyone hear the new Pain of Salvation album (Panther) yet? I really connected with this album.....and the production value is off the charts. Clearly they had a big budget for this studio recording. lower treble, upper mids can get a little rough at times (but that's done on purpose) just enough to remind you it's still progressive metal.

The introspective lyrics (about the struggles of the human condition) along with the passion behind Daniel's voice is chilling. Leo has really come up with some cool drum grooves and the guitar work doesn't disappoint.

I'm glad it's part of my library and there are at least three songs on it that I think could rank right up there among the very best they've written. IE "Wait" , "Species" and "Icon". Check those three out if you're limited on time, though admittedly they took a couple listens to truly appreciate. There are complexities in their arranging that you'll pick up on each time through. Genius!

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,509 of 4,306
What are your favorite prog rock bands? Mine are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

I'm also a big progressive metal listener. Bands like Circus Maximus (they rule), Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Amorphis, Ayreon, and sometimes stuff like Canvas Solaris.

Anyone have any similar tastes or even recommendations? There's just so much stuff in the progressive rock and metal genres. There's always these side projects. I can't even count how many side projects Mike Portnoy has done. I just love long, indulgent passages and the song structures that take you on a journey.
May want to try Big Big Train Atlantic Oscillation, Pineapple Thief (Gavin Harrison drummer), No Man (Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness). Older band would be Can. Krautrock but excellent. Then of course the obvious bands that's already been mentioned.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,510 of 4,306
What are your favorite prog rock bands? Mine are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

I'm also a big progressive metal listener. Bands like Circus Maximus (they rule), Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Amorphis, Ayreon, and sometimes stuff like Canvas Solaris.

Anyone have any similar tastes or even recommendations? There's just so much stuff in the progressive rock and metal genres. There's always these side projects. I can't even count how many side projects Mike Portnoy has done. I just love long, indulgent passages and the song structures that take you on a journey.
King Crimson----Bruford, UK

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #2,511 of 4,306
Anyone hear the new Pain of Salvation album (Panther) yet? I really connected with this album.....and the production value is off the charts. Clearly they had a big budget for this studio recording. lower treble, upper mids can get a little rough at times (but that's done on purpose) just enough to remind you it's still progressive metal.

The introspective lyrics (about the struggles of the human condition) along with the passion behind Daniel's voice is chilling. Leo has really come up with some cool drum grooves and the guitar work doesn't disappoint.

I'm glad it's part of my library and there are at least three songs on it that I think could rank right up there among the very best they've written. IE "Wait" , "Species" and "Icon". Check those three out if you're limited on time, though admittedly they took a couple listens to truly appreciate. There are complexities in their arranging that you'll pick up on each time through. Genius!

After a few listens - many interesting ideas, great production, but can't get into it as much as In the Passing Light of Day. Maybe need few more listens. Entropia took me over a decade to get into :)

If you liked Panther, from the interviews it sounds like next album is not too far with many songs that didn't make it to this record already ready to go.

2021 is shaping up to have many interesting (though unconfirmed) prog releases:
new Steven Wilson
likely new Transatlantic
likely new Devin Townsend
probably new Pain of Salvation
probably new Dream Theater
and many others

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,512 of 4,306
After a few listens - many interesting ideas, great production, but can't get into it as much as In the Passing Light of Day. Maybe need few more listens. Entropia took me over a decade to get into :)

If you liked Panther, from the interviews it sounds like next album is not too far with many songs that didn't make it to this record already ready to go.

new Steven Wilson
likely new Transatlantic
and many others
Transatlantics been nominally confirmed by Pete Trewavas on the Marillion Q and A they did online at the weekend. Along with keyboard player Mark Kelly's first solo album out in November.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #2,513 of 4,306

new Steven Wilson
likely new Transatlantic
and many others

It's going to be hard to beat 2020's new albums from Caligula's Horse and Haken.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,514 of 4,306
Spotify recommended, didn't know Geddy has solo work. Pretty good, for a Rush "extension". Actually better than some later Rush albums:

And the new Pineapple Thief :

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,515 of 4,306

ELP-Pictures at an Exposition
I was more like “Wow” they can actually do this live. Part of my exploration of Progressive Rock, yet maybe not something I always came back to.

Self-Titled ELP
This became my favorite ELP and obviously Lucky Man is the classic gateway drug of all Progressive Rock, being played on the FM radio 40 times a day for everyone.

ELP-BSS
Even though this is so famous and so advanced I have never been able to enjoy more than a song or two.

Aphrodite’s Child-666
Just amazing on so many levels. Not sure how popular this was in the US but definitely a classic. Somehow it’s heavy and ethereal?

FAUST-FAUST
What can you say about this that has not already been said. The off-the-wall arrogance just makes it so right. It’s experimental and funky and better than anything as they think they are.

FAUST-So Far
So artistic the album came with lots of limited edition prints inside. Yet now their seriousness is art?

Hawkwind-Warrior On The Edge Of Time
Last album Lemmy was on, he despised it. Yet maybe their most accessible and even better sounding with the remaster by Steve Wilson! Can’t go wrong with it.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,516 of 4,306

MAGMA - Üdü Ẁüdü

Excuse this if it’s been posted before.

E84BDBC4-B90E-40C8-B084-6AC671660F77.jpeg

Live, released in 1996

Songs / Tracks Listing
Zünd 1:
1. De Futura (24:32)
2. Sons et Chorus de Batterie (26:38)
Zünd 2:
1. Köhntarkösz (33:31)
2. Theusz Hamtaahk (33:34)
Zünd 3:
1. Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh (42:29)

Total Time: 160:3

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,517 of 4,306
8DF8F2F6-23C0-4899-A1E8-59F8D000A7A2.jpeg

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,518 of 4,306

Ash Ra Tempel:

One of the few Timothy Leary albums. 7 Up

Cosmic Jokers:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,519 of 4,306
La Düsseldorf

Neu!

Neu!

Klaus Schulze - Timewind (1975)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,520 of 4,306
Outside The Dream Sindicate - Tony Conrad & Faust (1972)

The missing link between The Velvet Underground and Krautrock.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back