Prog rock
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2,297 of 4,431
Definitely check out IQ last album The Road of bones (2CD)... IMHO blows away many current "classic" prog-rock bands like Dream Theater (last album is crap imo). To me that album reminds somewhat old Dream Theater Awake album (which is great imho).
Anyway, try it out :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I did actually have an IQ album some years ago but it didn't click with me. Or I didn't click with it. One or the other.

Dream Theater are classified as "classic" now? Well then, that's news to me! :grin: I have always associated the classic prog tag with bands like Rush, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, etc. DT have really been the champions of modern prog, flying the flag and carving out a pretty healthy career in the process. And I think that's why they cop a lot of criticism because so many other bands haven't been able to replicate the level of success that DT have achieved. It's a tough market though and DT have been very fortunate but they've also been very consistent with their output. There haven't been a lot of missteps or massively stark departures from their core sound and if there have been, they've corrected it on the next album (or attempted to). They're like the AC-DC version of prog metal and you generally know what you're going to get without too many surprises. And that's okay if you like that sound (as I do, most of the time).

I've been a fan since 1994 so I have a soft spot for them (not to mention the fact I'm a massive Mike Mangini fan, from his days with Steve Vai and Extreme before that). I rather liked Distance Over Time which is not quite a classic but it's a punchy, vibrant and enjoyable record nonetheless. It was certainly a lot more tolerable and digestible than The Astonishing which I just don't bother revisiting. It's far too long, too soft, too sterile sounding and far too cheesy as far as the overall story is concerned. It's nice that some fans really loved it but it seemed to alienate a whole lot of other fans too. I'm fairly indifferent towards it and only like some of the music.

Over the years, I have heard music from some new bands that seem to be heavily influenced by DT, just as DT were heavily influenced by the aforementioned classic bands, along with the likes of Metallica etc. Strangely, I don't care for the DT clones and I don't really enjoy the bands that have influenced DT!

Another DT worth mentioning on this point is Devin Townsend, who is probably my favourite musician. I really don't care for any of the music he often cites as being influential and yet I love his music! Music tastes are very weird sometimes.

Just as a random thought, I'm wondering if there has ever been a poll on this forum for the top 50 favourite albums by the users. I'm guessing there'd be a pretty diverse range of tastes and it would be interesting to see the results.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #2,298 of 4,431

I've seen this band mentioned a bit recently. The musicianship is tight and the music is kinda frenetic at times but there are really enjoyable moments that I can comfortably jump on board with too. I'll definitely do some more research on this band.

Just out of interest, are you recommending bands you've linked videos to because you like them or are you just randomly finding stuff and sharing it?

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #2,299 of 4,431
I've seen this band mentioned a bit recently. The musicianship is tight and the music is kinda frenetic at times but there are really enjoyable moments that I can comfortably jump on board with too. I'll definitely do some more research on this band.

Just out of interest, are you recommending bands you've linked videos to because you like them or are you just randomly finding stuff and sharing it?

I post music that i personally enjoy.
MOST of the time, its something that i just discovered, like it, and want you to hear it.
I try to listen to brand new releases, a song or 2, and if it appeals to me, then i come and share it here.
Its difficult to recommend new music because so much new music is "one good song" and this isn't really worth buying the CD.
Azam Ali has a new CD coming out that will be one to check out if you can enjoy her style of "middle eastern Pop". Its very textured ambient music and she has a fine voice.
If you like guitar stuff, then an Italian girl "Lari Basilio" just released a nice CD of guitar music. I think she used some special guests on it, ....like Joe Satriani and others.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,301 of 4,431
Thanks for the recommendation. I did actually have an IQ album some years ago but it didn't click with me. Or I didn't click with it. One or the other.
About "classic"... didn`t mean it as sub-genre/tag about Dream Theater. In more of sense about their older stuff vs. newer stuff.

About IQ - their older stuff is also "out" for me... but The Road of Bones really took me in. Like I said, similar way as DT Awake album, with story in music and lyrics.
DT newer stuff is just "skillful playing" of riffs with no story-like vocals/words/melodies related to each-other.
Actually I just discovered now that IQ will be releasing new album on 29th September - Resistance. https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/
Will be interesting to hear if they going on similar direction or turning back to older stuff.
But now, TOOL new album all the way! ;P

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #2,304 of 4,431
About "classic"... didn`t mean it as sub-genre/tag about Dream Theater. In more of sense about their older stuff vs. newer stuff.

About IQ - their older stuff is also "out" for me... but The Road of Bones really took me in. Like I said, similar way as DT Awake album, with story in music and lyrics.
DT newer stuff is just "skillful playing" of riffs with no story-like vocals/words/melodies related to each-other.
Actually I just discovered now that IQ will be releasing new album on 29th September - Resistance. https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/
Will be interesting to hear if they going on similar direction or turning back to older stuff.
But now, TOOL new album all the way! ;P

There's a band called Wheel that brought out an album that is VERY inspired by Tool. It's hard to disagree, based on this clip:

Doesn't that opening section sound familiar? Goodness me... :grin:

If anyone is feeling like they need more Tool-ish sounds given the lack of output in the last 13 years, maybe this will help fill the void.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #2,306 of 4,431
There's a band called Wheel that brought out an album that is VERY inspired by Tool. It's hard to disagree, based on this clip:

Doesn't that opening section sound familiar? Goodness me... :grin:
If anyone is feeling like they need more Tool-ish sounds given the lack of output in the last 13 years, maybe this will help fill the void.

Thanks for that!
While ago I posted band Lucid Planet, which also has some "toolness" in it, much more than Wheel it seems. Btw, they should be releasing their new album this year too.

Anyway, IMHO there is no other band that comes very similar as TOOL and probably wont ever be. Especially after listening their new album (which is masterpiece imho).
Listening to Wheel, I immediately get no sense of "poetry" in vocals, no "soul" I would say.
Lucid Planet EP had some of that soul in vocals and lyrics but in very "un-mature" way but potential is there.
MJK and other members of TOOL just have very special synergy that wont be repeated.
I just hope they come to EU somewhere as I wish to listen to them ONCE in live before I die.

I posted this in the "Tool on HD Tracks" thread but here it is again, in case people aren't viewing that one:
If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of the fancy pants edition, there are still copies available here:
https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/cd-boxset/tool-fear-inoculum.html
93€ is too much for me atm ;S
Will probably get it used from aftermarket.

Btw, discogs also has 17 for sale: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/14056556?ev=rb

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #2,309 of 4,431
Because IQ was discussed recently, please try this:
IQ - Ever - 2018 Remix - 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition
The new production is very good. Some similarities with old Marillion especially on keyboards, but Marillion is much better.
Speaking of... try this also:
Marillion - Clutching At Straws - 2018 Re-Mix - fabulous! - my No.2 album - all time - all genre - favorite.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #2,310 of 4,431
Because IQ was discussed recently, please try this:
IQ - Ever - 2018 Remix - 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition
The new production is very good. Some similarities with old Marillion especially on keyboards, but Marillion is much better.
Speaking of... try this also:
Marillion - Clutching At Straws - 2018 Re-Mix - fabulous! - my No.2 album - all time - all genre - favorite.

I didn’t realise IQ had been around that long! On another forum I visit, people have been getting enthusiastic about their new album (not sure if it’s out already). Anyway, I may have to check them out again. The reference to DT’s Awake is probably more of a lure than Marillion, because I love the Awake album - it is beautifully recorded and everything sounds amazing, especially the drums. Portnoy’s snare sounded horrible in later releases but was perfect on this. I think this was also the peak of their songwriting abilities...but I’m getting off track.

Marillion are a hit and miss band for me. I love Marbles and a handful of tracks throughout their catalogue, but there are some stinkers amongst it all. Still, they managed to put out a wonderful live release with All One Tonight. It’s almost entirely enjoyable. “Go” is just sensational - a track I always liked but it was made so much better by the visual spectacle in this show. The sound was exceptional on this release too.

By the way, nice to see a Steven Wilson fan here. The interview linked in your signature is a very widely regarded one and I remember being impressed by it when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back