Prog rock
Aug 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,396 of 4,431
Aug 3, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,397 of 4,431
That was a cool read - thanks! It's also getting me exposed to other good bands/albums that I wasn't aware of before. I was a bit taken aback though to see Fish's current photo - very, um, mature! In my mind, I only see a younger Fish. Mind you, I'm sure some people would say the same thing about my current photo lol :)
You're welcome! I'd say he aged well, looks like he could play a character in Game Of Thrones :)

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,398 of 4,431
Aug 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,399 of 4,431
Ouch... brutal review of To the Bone. Can't say I am surprised based on what's been previewed. SW is one of my most revered artists and it would be a shame to get a new album not up to his usual lofty standards:

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2017/07/31/steven-wilson-to-the-bone/

This is not a surprise at all. I think what Steven Wilson did not realize is as much as we progressive people hate to admit it takes a lot of talent to conquer two musical genres as Genesis did and not end up like Emerson Lake and Palmer's 'Love Beach' or 'To The Bone'.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,400 of 4,431
Aside from Pariah, every snippet I've heard from To The Bone has sounded very uninteresting. Still, I've booked tickets for his show in Copenhagen next year.

As much as I hate to sound like a broken record, I could really use a new Porcupine Tree album right now. I think after a hiatus they could have a bunch of really cool ideas. The Incident was such a great album, I was kinda surprised to hear Steven say that he had trouble coming up with anything new for the band,

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #1,401 of 4,431
On Friday evening I went over to a friend of mines house, he is a Hifi fanatic! A real fanatic, he has modified all his valve amps, built his own version of a Japanese pre-amp, a phono stage with no capacitors inline and a set of line driver speakers that stand 2 meters high and have 12 speakers, a 1 meter ribbon and a ribbon super tweeter. I digress, he dug out his copy of The Black Album by Metallica, the detail, the inflections and how well this album is recorded absolutely amazed me, I have not personally bothered too much with Metallica, I was surprised how many tracks I knew from this album but it is so well recorded. And from what I could hear, recorded properly!

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,402 of 4,431
On Friday evening I went over to a friend of mines house, he is a Hifi fanatic! A real fanatic, he has modified all his valve amps, built his own version of a Japanese pre-amp, a phono stage with no capacitors inline and a set of line driver speakers that stand 2 meters high and have 12 speakers, a 1 meter ribbon and a ribbon super tweeter. I digress, he dug out his copy of The Black Album by Metallica, the detail, the inflections and how well this album is recorded absolutely amazed me, I have not personally bothered too much with Metallica, I was surprised how many tracks I knew from this album but it is so well recorded. And from what I could hear, recorded properly!
I wouldn't really call Metallica prog rock under any circumstances.

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,403 of 4,431
Ouch... brutal review of To the Bone. Can't say I am surprised based on what's been previewed. SW is one of my most revered artists and it would be a shame to get a new album not up to his usual lofty standards:

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2017/07/31/steven-wilson-to-the-bone/

This is not a surprise at all. I think what Steven Wilson did not realize is as much as we progressive people hate to admit it takes a lot of talent to conquer two musical genres as Genesis did and not end up like Emerson Lake and Palmer's 'Love Beach' or 'To The Bone'.

Aside from Pariah, every snippet I've heard from To The Bone has sounded very uninteresting. Still, I've booked tickets for his show in Copenhagen next year.

As much as I hate to sound like a broken record, I could really use a new Porcupine Tree album right now. I think after a hiatus they could have a bunch of really cool ideas. The Incident was such a great album, I was kinda surprised to hear Steven say that he had trouble coming up with anything new for the band,

OK, if reviewers have access to new albums before release date, I said what the heck, I will listen to it too because it leaked and I'm curious...
I think progressivemusicplanet.com should stick to reviewing progressive music albums because it's a specialized blog. "To The Bone" is not a traditional progressive album.

I like the album very much, as much as "The Raven..." but from a different perspective.
Is it OK not to like it and I get your points, but if you like good pop music, get out of boundaries, not compare it to previous albums, look at it from a different perspective, and all that, you can definitely like this album.
I grew up with ABBA and The Beatles and ELO and this album - in parts - is a lesson for today's "pop" artists in how pop music should be made. Yes "Permanating" was unexpected from Wilson, but after listening to it a few times, I can't get it out of my head which is a good sign for me :)
I get what S. Wilson is doing with this album and I applaud him for not repeating himself and doing what he desires, regardless of what hardcore prog rock fans are expecting.

This new interview may shed more light. I linked to the essential part at 9:07 If you're in a hurry.
Part II here. > very interesting not just regarding the new album but as general thoughts about live, politics, truth, psychology.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,404 of 4,431
I kinda understand why Marco Minnemann and Guthrie Govan didn't return for To The Bone. Doesn't seem like the type of music they would be particularly interested in playing, or if they even would be a good fit for it.

It's kinda strange that I don't really have any feelings towards To The Bone as one of my favorite numbers on Hand. Cannot. Erase. was Perfect Life. Maybe I will find something I like on full release.

Aug 10, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,405 of 4,431
I kinda understand why Marco Minnemann and Guthrie Govan didn't return for To The Bone. Doesn't seem like the type of music they would be particularly interested in playing, or if they even would be a good fit for it.

It's kinda strange that I don't really have any feelings towards To The Bone as one of my favorite numbers on Hand. Cannot. Erase. was Perfect Life. Maybe I will find something I like on full release.
Yes, in the interview SW states that he wanted a less technical, simpler approach to the instrumental side, and played himself the majority of guitar parts. The album makes a lot more sense as a whole, you'll see. The middle part of "Detonation" actually sounds like Porcupine Tree.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,406 of 4,431
I listened to it as well and am pleasantly surprised. I really like all the tracks that haven't been released yet, especially Detonation and People Who Eat Darkness. As a cohesive whole it is a fine SW effort. Different yes, but still top notch music. I need to listen to it a few more times to form my final opinion.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,407 of 4,431
OK, if reviewers have access to new albums before release date, I said what the heck, I will listen to it too because it leaked and I'm curious...
I think progressivemusicplanet.com should stick to reviewing progressive music albums because it's a specialized blog. "To The Bone" is not a traditional progressive album.

I like the album very much, as much as "The Raven..." but from a different perspective.
Is it OK not to like it and I get your points, but if you like good pop music, get out of boundaries, not compare it to previous albums, look at it from a different perspective, and all that, you can definitely like this album.
I grew up with ABBA and The Beatles and ELO and this album - in parts - is a lesson for today's "pop" artists in how pop music should be made. Yes "Permanating" was unexpected from Wilson, but after listening to it a few times, I can't get it out of my head which is a good sign for me :)
I get what S. Wilson is doing with this album and I applaud him for not repeating himself and doing what he desires, regardless of what hardcore prog rock fans are expecting.

This new interview may shed more light. I linked to the essential part at 9:07 If you're in a hurry.
Part II here. > very interesting not just regarding the new album but as general thoughts about live, politics, truth, psychology.

I will not endlessly debate with you but please remember this is a thread dedicated to progressive rock and in no way shape or form is 'To The Bone' progressive. Further, comparing it to 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' a masterpiece of progressive music, is a joke.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,408 of 4,431
Kopanedepooj I do not want to come down too harshly but after years of throughly enjoying every incarnation of Steven Wilson from No Man, Porcupine Tree and his solo work I recently discovered the emperor has no clothes.

I bought what is considered the best live Porcupine Tree album, 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' soundtrack from Burning Shed. It was recorded in Chicago in 2005 so presumably Wilson was at the top of his game as he was in his late 20's when it was recorded. Simply put that man cannot sing. After three tracks I was so disgusted that I deleted the album and am trying to forget it. Steven Wilson is the king of autotune.

In the progressive genre, I like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, or Peter Gabriel so I do not believe everyone has to sound like Greg Lake, John Wetton or David Longdon (Big Big Train's vocalist). However, Steven Wilson is an absolutely abysmal singer. He is a very good guitarist and a peerless song writer but not a vocalist. I consider the massive overuse of autotune to be incredibly disingenuous. If you cannot sing hire a damn vocalist don't use a computer to completely alter your voice. So my current reaction is colored by my discovery.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,409 of 4,431
Has stated in at least one interview on youtube his disdain for autotune is intense and has said that the only time he has used it was for sonic effects in on the title track of Raven. I highly doubt he has actually used it for live shows or any releases.

Agreed, he is not a great singer, but I still greatly prefer him to the likes of James LaBrie, who is truly bad, for example. I would classify Steven Wilson's singing as serviceable. It fulfills the function it needs to, not bad not great. Your use of brash exaggeration is such a pain to read. He has never claimed to be a great singer, and in all of his released work I can't find any "disguised" autotune. You have outrage and "disgust" for his "abysmal" singing? Really? Do you have any obvious examples of autotune you wish to share? There are tons of clips on youtube, so it shouldn't be hard.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #1,410 of 4,431
Has stated in at least one interview on youtube his disdain for autotune is intense and has said that the only time he has used it was for sonic effects in on the title track of Raven. I highly doubt he has actually used it for live shows or any releases.

Agreed, he is not a great singer, but I still greatly prefer him to the likes of James LaBrie, who is truly bad, for example. I would classify Steven Wilson's singing as serviceable. It fulfills the function it needs to, not bad not great. Your use of brash exaggeration is such a pain to read. He has never claimed to be a great singer, and in all of his released work I can't find any "disguised" autotune. You have outrage and "disgust" for his "abysmal" singing? Really? Do you have any obvious examples of autotune you wish to share? There are tons of clips on youtube, so it shouldn't be hard.
I may be brash but you are clearly illiterate. I already stated listen to what is regarded as the best live Porcupine Tree album 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' and compare the vocals to the studio tracks. The only conclusion I could draw was massive use of autotune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back