Prog rock
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,933 of 4,426
Wow indeed!

Finished listening to the new Dream Theater album "A View From The Top Of The World".

First impression - BEST Dream Theater album for my taste. What I like most is the fact that every song is - for the lack of a better description - "pleasant" to listen to. The album never gets boring. It is sooo musical and airy, and the harmonies always have a 80s/90s sound which I like very much. It goes way back to "Images and Words" and is up there with it but better in every way. More mature technically and musically. And the production is top-notch.

I'm not a big DT fan or connoisseur, I've gone through their entire catalog maybe twice... But every time the density of their style used to get tiring with me. But not now! This is muuuch more to my taste. Very airy and just beautiful! Five-star album without a doubt.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2,934 of 4,426
He he, look where the cover comes from >>

100821-a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world.jpg

And more >>
https://www.google.com/search?q=nor...BAKABAqABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nsAEK&sclient=img

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,936 of 4,426
Wow indeed!

Finished listening to the new Dream Theater album "A View From The Top Of The World".

First impression - BEST Dream Theater album for my taste. What I like most is the fact that every song is - for the lack of a better description - "pleasant" to listen to. The album never gets boring. It is sooo musical and airy, and the harmonies always have a 80s/90s sound which I like very much. It goes way back to "Images and Words" and is up there with it but better in every way. More mature technically and musically. And the production is top-notch.

I'm not a big DT fan or connoisseur, I've gone through their entire catalog maybe twice... But every time the density of their style used to get tiring with me. But not now! This is muuuch more to my taste. Very airy and just beautiful! Five-star album without a doubt.

I agree with you, it's probably their best album since Portnoy left the band. I have to admit I was a bit nervous after having heard the first 2 singles, but all the other songs are 10/10.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,939 of 4,426
I agree with you, it's probably their best album since Portnoy left the band. I have to admit I was a bit nervous after having heard the first 2 singles, but all the other songs are 10/10.
Gave it a second listen. I like them all but my favourite is "Transcending Time". It is maybe the most melodic and it has that 80's arena-rock flavour like Journey, or Def Leppard or 80's Rush, on keyboards and guitar riffs. I'm a sucker for that sound :p and I guess that song triggered my initial "best album" reaction.
And the next one "Awaken the Master" is great too, more epic.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,940 of 4,426

This one (first half) should be called "Getting Messy With The Blues" :D Great song! (forget about prog). Been meaning to explore this band for some time. Really solid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back