Profiles People!
Apr 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
People need to fill in their profiles. A persons profile gives other members a point of reference when considering a members questions or comments.

Something as simple as listing your location can be extremely helpful. If a question is asked about a specific item if the poster has their location listed other members might suggest attending an upcoming meet, or perhaps even suggest holding a mini-meet, or maybe a local dealer where the item can be auditioned. So LIST YOUR LOCATION, at least the State or Region.

EQUIPMENT PROFILE - The more info listed here the better. It gives other members a snapshot of a members experience.

If you are experienced listing the equipment that you own and have owned will show other members that you are experienced and the value of your opinion can be adjusted accordingly.

If you are inexperienced list what equipment you use is also useful. It allows more experienced members to judge what recommendation might be appropriate.

MUSIC PREFERENCES - Listing you Musical Preferences is also useful. Some equipment works better for certain types of music. This means that listing your Musical Preferences will also help other members make appropriate equipment recommendations. It also helps determining the individual value of recommendations (If someone only lists "Death Metal" in their musical preferences I personally will discount their recommendations because I don't listen to death metal).

So basically if you want to be taken seriously on Head-Fi fill out your profile.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 22
Good point. Never thought that would have to be something that we would have to tell people to do. Maybe this should also be put into the helpful guide for newbies thread.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 22
[unlurk]That type of information goes in my signature. My profile is out-of-date.[/unlurk]

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 22
I hope you find my profile and blogs helpful. Some things are a bit outdated but for my audio gear I just update my blog.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 22
Holy crap it's moogoob.

My profile is always out of date, but most everything can be seen in my sig/postbit. And I make it in small enough font to not be intrusive, I think.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 22
No one will keep everything up to date all of the time, but some information is certainly useful. I'm glad that a few found this thread worthwhile.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 22
I keep my profile more or less up-to-date as well, but I believe our signatures are places to showoff our personalities and interests via graphics or just put random, cool, and goofy stuff, not a list of one's equipment.

i.e.
priceless3yj2kf9tt.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 22
I got no issues if people don;t update their profile too often since I don't make a habit of going into people'e profile when they make a comment. I would like more people to keep their signature updated or put down in their signature. It should have their gear or the ones they use the most so people have an idea of what they use. That and their location of course which could be helpful.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 22
What's the phobia that keeps people from listing a location? I'm not saying that people should list their address, but just a city, region, or maybe the State.

The location is not as important as equipment, but why not list a general location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back