Professor needs urgent help: AKG N40 or Shure se425 (bt1 package)
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

UHJan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I recently invested in my first DAP (pioneer xdp-300r) which I have been using with beyerdynamic dt1350 and Bose qc35. Due to high temps this summer its quite painfull to wear them out or on my 3hour(1 way) commute. I am looking to pair it with a good pair of IEM, as I can't listen to either in store can any one help me choose between akg n40 (used 8months $180) boxed or Shure se425 bt1 (used 1 month $270) boxed. I listen to classic rock, jazz, male vocals, some modern hip hop ( not a bass head ). Any help will be much appreciated by this under paid professor.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm not familiar with the AKG but I've used the BT1 with the Shure SE535 and I think the SE425 may be a good option for two reasons: 1) Battery life of the BT1 is about 6.5 hrs, so it has enough juice for about two days. 2) The se535 and 425 shre eartips and they're coMfortable enough for summer. I've used them with 35°C with 80% of humidity (which feel almost like 40°C) and they do not become painful.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 12
AKG40 sounds more musical and lively (I'd say mild v-shape) whereas Shure SE425 sounds mid-centric (vocals) and possibly unexciting to some people. The bass will be better on the N40 for sure.

Based on your genres, I'd pick AKG N40.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Cheers guys. I will get the akg n40. After having listen to the Shure se425 yesterday they sounded not worth the price being charged. Did lovely the Weston um pro 20 the sound stage was amazing the music lively the vocals buttery smooth with cigar note details. With akg n40 discontinued due to Samsung take over of the company. And the last few akg n40 out there they will be the last pure akg products before Samsung dismantles the company's soul.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 12
I think you will like it. It’s a very good IEM.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Sad to report I had to sell of the akg n40 as the damn things never gave me a good seal no matter what ear tips I tried they kept popping out. Shame as i got a great buying price on them of $190. Looking to just settle in and get the westome um pro 30 as they are deep inserts same as the rha 20. The search continues.

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 12
The westone definitely has a better fitting. But its sound signature is quite different from the akg. Have you tried them
Did end up trying them at a shop . The soft silicon with deep insert gave great isolation the bass was vibrant withought being too over powering and the vocals were a bit warm but nothing too off putting. The instiments shinned with details. Only gripe I had was the sound stage was quite narrow. What I can say is that if you have tried the Shure se 535 (in their own right great sounding iems) these come through more punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back