Products that last forever
Dec 28, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #151 of 171

Quote:
I'm not sure about that one.  Paper and various bindings are very tricky to preserve properly over the long haul.  Plus their place in the digital world is increasingly being put to the test.  We've got some nice vintage book collections, I'm scared to death to even  do anything w/ them.  A lot of the subject material I read begs for constant revisits over a lifetime.  

Granted, the pages might end up looking like the Declaration of Independence.  I would think that their 'phasing out' might further enhance their collectibility.  Who knows- perhaps it might create a market for collector's editions, as in printed on archival paper and so forth.

One other thing I forgot to list:

ic Berlin Eyeglasses:  Perhaps something else that may get relegated to only museums.  However, I think they will still be around even after Lasik and related eye treatments (including ones that haven't been developed yet) become standard practice.  The ic Berlins really are wonderful spectacles.  They are made of stamped stainless steel and are by far the most durable frames I have ever seen.  They do not have conventional hingers; rather the pieces are folded and interlock so that you can close the ear pieces with no additional mechanisms.  You just have to hope that in the future there will be someone around to carve new lenses for you.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #152 of 171
My oldest book is from the 1730s and it is admittedly quite fragile, but I have many from the 18th and 19th centuries that I'll happily read as long as I have a pair of cotton gloves around. But newer books (by and large) are not constructed with the same care in material and construction. The older books mostly used cotton rag papers, leathers, linens and such. By contrast machine made glued spines and wood pulp papers simply fall apart after a dozen years. Even stitched spined books on better paper are not really up to the same level as what has survived from earlier periods. Books used to be expensive luxuries, and were built with that kind of care in mind. I don't think the modern book will stick around. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #153 of 171
my grand father had a copper sphere with one flat side, like 5% of it, he had this as paperweight in his desk since I can remember.
copper-sphere-paperweight-large.jpg

biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #155 of 171

Quote:
Yes he is, if you count both hands.  Katanas are sharp yo.

*snip*

I am actually very lucky to have all 10 digits. Several accidents with sharp objects have honed my skills for avoiding swords and other sharp objects. although I do have more scars compared to normal teenagers.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #156 of 171
Quote:
BA IEMs: I'm not sure if I missed it or if it was intentionally left out- but how about BA IEMs?  I'm sure there must be a thread somewhere discussing the longevity of these.  And I'm referring to the MTBF of the armature itself, as I'm assuming that with reasonable care and cleaning, aside from perhaps a frayed or cracked cable the rest of the unit should last at least to the next generation?  For this, I would assume a scenario of listening a few days a week for a few years and then maybe every once in a while.  I would also assume that there would be some compatible device still left to plug into.

Interesting that you say this; I've read of people that still use their original Etymotic ER4 from around 1991.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #157 of 171

INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINE

My parents own and used one of these in the 80's. I remember I used to jump and mess about on it all the time when I was a child. The thing is HEAVY! Still in perfect working condition

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #158 of 171
Quote:
my grand father had a copper sphere with one flat side, like 5% of it, he had this as paperweight in his desk since I can remember.

biggrin.gif

That is the coolest thing. I love copper, so this is right up my alley. Im going to go find one now...

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #159 of 171
My dad owned this electric razor from Hitachi since before I was born. I 'inherited' it about 11 years ago when we moved back to the USA and I found it among several other things in a couple of suitcases that constituted dad's 'Temporarily Reinstated Bachelor' kit. Still works and all it has to show for its age is slightly dull razor under the foil and a slightly diminished battery life. 26+ years it's been running (possibly closing in on 30+) and still going strong!

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #160 of 171
Sennheiser HD 580 Precision?  I used one for 15 years and with exception to replacing some pads, it still sounds great!

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #161 of 171
Even though it's been said before, I think instruments last forever. I have my Selmer Recital (B-flat clarinet) that was made in Paris in 1985, and my late clarinet teacher's Selmer K-series (A clarinet) that he bought in the 1930's, used (the K-series instruments were made mostly in the 1920s). Both of them still play spectacularly and with growing personality as they age.

Another thing that seem to last forever are Doc Martens combat boots. I've had them for about a year now and wear them heavily, but they still look like they're fresh from the box.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #162 of 171

Quote:

I am actually very lucky to have all 10 digits. Several accidents with sharp objects have honed my skills for avoiding swords and other sharp objects. although I do have more scars compared to normal teenagers.

You have ten digits? Has anybody ever told you... You were all thumbs? *ba-dum-tss*

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha....

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #164 of 171
I have a 3rd gen ipod nano that has been washed twice, dropped many times and the screen hasn't cracked. The backlight doesn't work properly if turned below 30% and won't even come on below 25% and is running slow but otherwise it still works.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #165 of 171
Lucky you. I think they don't make them like they used to. My hitachi lasted less than six months before calling it quits. My Braun, a cheap battery powered shaver from the late nineties survived a whole case of evils.

Quote:
My dad owned this electric razor from Hitachi since before I was born. I 'inherited' it about 11 years ago when we moved back to the USA and I found it among several other things in a couple of suitcases that constituted dad's 'Temporarily Reinstated Bachelor' kit. Still works and all it has to show for its age is slightly dull razor under the foil and a slightly diminished battery life. 26+ years it's been running (possibly closing in on 30+) and still going strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back