Problems with Unique Melody
Jan 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #46 of 52
Hey guys :),

Got a mail from Ultimate Ears about this extruded socket. Turns out their cable aren't compatible :/ (although they looked the same to me).

What I'm going to do is try to find someone who will make me a cable in Düsseldorf, Germany where I am right now or I'll try to make my own cable. And I will directly connect it to the earpieces since I don't know how to make their stupid pins. Yes, this is a risky operation I know :/.
I will still put a sleeve or something though. And I'll take the strongest materials I can find.

I'll keep you posted but right now I have a lot of work until at least mid February :s

- Thib -

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 52
FYI:
Just noticed there is now a new http://unique-melody.com, which says "unique melody international". Contact person is stephenguo's email, and custom-iem.com now redirects to unique-melody.com. I also notice that his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Unique-Melody-145824605434429 refers to this url.

After what I have heard about Stephen Guo, this sounds like good news for people owning UM products.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #48 of 52
I'm not terribly thrilled with them either.  I had UE 18 Pros reshelled back in Nov. '11.  They did fit well and sound great.  However, the left one broke in my ear less than two years after purchasing as I was removing.  I was lucky pieces didn't fall down my ear canal.

Anyways - I notified Stephen at the time just so the problem was on the record - but I didn't want to go through the bother of mailing it back to China and waiting for its return unless I had to.  Anyways, it broke again and seems much more brittle now.  I realize it's now 4 years post purchase, but the problem occurred less than two years post purchase (I even sent them photos at the time) and I didn't make a fuss as I was able to handle with glue (although it looked crummy as a result).

I asked Stephen a couple months ago what would happen if they break again and his reply back was I'd be out of luck and in for $300 to reshell ... that's certainly not standing behind their workmanship!  To quote: "Custom iems don't last a life time because our ears do change shape every few years, and reshells are necessary as well. Like buying a car, there is maintenance cost associated with earphone purchases."

Oh well - I'm just venting as I guess I'm out of luck if the glue does not hold again.  At some point, gluing it back is not going to work any longer.  

He did say back in Nov. '11 "If the problem worsens in the near future, email me, and i will solve it for you accordingly.".  I guess I should have taken him up on it then vs. wait and see if the glue might solve the problem in perpetuity (which if it worked would save UM the cost/time of a reshell and me the trouble of getting molds done again and shipping back to China).   If I took care of it then, it would have presumably been at UM's expense, but even though I acted in good faith and waited to see if the glue would be a permanent fix for poor workmanship, repairing it now will be at my expense.  

Clearly these shouldn't snap in your ear as you put them in or out!

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #49 of 52
I've been waiting on a reshell of ONE headphone for 5 + months now, absolute joke of a company. it takes a lot to piss me off, I understand that things go wrong etc., but I'm going to be coming up to half a year without my headphones now, they can forget about return custom, and I'll be ensuring that each and every one of my mates that ever wants iems will be advised to steer well clear of this shambolic excuse for a company.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #50 of 52
I've been waiting on a reshell of ONE headphone for 5 + months now, absolute joke of a company. it takes a lot to piss me off, I understand that things go wrong etc., but I'm going to be coming up to half a year without my headphones now, they can forget about return custom, and I'll be ensuring that each and every one of my mates that ever wants iems will be advised to steer well clear of this shambolic excuse for a company.

Someone in a thread from another company actually mentioned that UM has had problems communicating with their distributors. Did you talk to then directly?

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #51 of 52
I got both my Miracle and Mentor from the site called custom-iem.com.
First I thought that they are just the Chinese OEM for UM and if I order from the factory, it will be much faster.
Luckily I got both of them, and they are both working. They do sound very good so I cannot complain there.
I do fear their customer service is close to non-existence as I have to ask my friend in China to pick-up the reshell Mentor in their factory one time.
Now when i want to get some upgrade, it seems all UM's official website is gone.
I wonder what is going on with this company.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 52
I got both my Miracle and Mentor from the site called custom-iem.com.
First I thought that they are just the Chinese OEM for UM and if I order from the factory, it will be much faster.
Luckily I got both of them, and they are both working. They do sound very good so I cannot complain there.
I do fear their customer service is close to non-existence as I have to ask my friend in China to pick-up the reshell Mentor in their factory one time.
Now when i want to get some upgrade, it seems all UM's official website is gone.
I wonder what is going on with this company.

UM's had issues with their provider for the site on and off. They're easy to reach out to via FB. Very much still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back