problems with skipping
Sep 23, 2007 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bugsjr

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a used turntable and got it pretty much set up. I used the free cartridge alignment tool from enjoythemusic.com to make sure the cartridge was aligned and set up an LP to play. I am really sure that I used the tool correctly and that the cartridge was aligned according to the directions. Just a side note that using the tool put the cartridge at a slight angle to the headshell, is this possibly wrong? Well I played an LP and it played perfect for awhile then it started to get stuck on the groove, not really skipping across, more like staying in one place. So Im wondering if there is something Im not doing? Or, is it a really bad stylus, once again I am not sure, but, when you look at the nib, it sure looks small, well to me anyway lol.

thanks

Erick

p.s. the cartridge is also used (came with the turntable) audiotechnica looks kinda beat to me, well lol you guys know what I mean

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Just use a rubber band to attach a Quarter to the top of the headshell. The extra weight will prevent the skipping...............................JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
icon10.gif
But that's what people actually did once upon a time.
blink.gif

JMT's analysis of the situation is correct. Good luck with your vinyl adventure....for me it's been a long and rewarding one.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 5
It could also be improperly adjusted anti-skate. Does your TT have an anti-skate adjustment? Did you set it?

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I removed the headshell during the day and put the stylus under a magnifying glass and guess what? Its bent. So, Im gonna do all the things that were suggested plus, im going to get a new stylus. Thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back