problems with Chrome
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wordfool

100+ Head-Fier
For about a week now I have been unable to reply to any thread on Head-Fi when using the Chrome browser... type my reply, hit 'submit' and it just hangs and the 'please wait' just spins forever. I was able to start new threads, but even that ability stopped today and I am typing this on Firefox. Any idea what the problem might be? Until a few weeks back I was using Chrome with no problems at all, and nothing has changed browser-wise at my end since then.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Windows 7 Pro (x86) and both Chrome 6.0.472.63 and the latest release I installed tonight (8.0.552.237)

The only extensions I have are Vanilla and Web Developer (neither of which are newly installed). The only plugins I have are the default ones that come with Chrome (like Flash, Java 6, etc.).

The odd thing is that I have not updated any software in the last month (except Chrome, to v8 tonight) and Headfi went from being fine to not working in the last couple weeks. No windows updates, nothing.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 15
As a follow-up, could it be linked to cookie blocking in some way? I have not changed cookie permissions for Head-fi recently AFAIK, but have always been selectively blocking third-party cookies.

When I reply to a post and click "submit", for example, as the "please wait" box sits and spins Chrome tells me that I have allowed permissions for head-fi.org and www.head-fi.org, and have blocked cookies from atdmt.com, doubleclick.net, d1.openx.org, quantserve.com, skimresources.com, and voicefive.com. Are any of those cookies necessary for the site to function?

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 15
I have used Chrome on Win 7 Ultimate (x64) and OSX 10.6.6 with no problems recently. Both running only ad-block for plug-ins (and flash, java, silverlight, etc).

I guess it's possible that it's an x86 problem, but I can't see that happening as the x64 is usually the less stable of the two.

Have you tried reinstalling your latest version of it? And do FF and IE do the same thing?

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm having no similar problems with either FF3.6 or IE8 (am posting this using FF), so perhaps it's a local Chrome issue. I'll play around some more with Chome and other factors like plugins and firewall etc. (and see if log files shed any light on it). 

The reason I wondered if it was a site-related issue is that nothing changed on my machine (no installs, no updates, no changes, nothing) and one day Chrome simply stopped being able to post. Weird.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 15
I can't post in Chrome, just send PMs. Oh wait I just did. Why can't I post anymore in certain threads?

When I load the Woo thread for instance (in a tab right next to this one), I get a message, "Your mobile browser can only load the Basic editor. You may see some HTML source displayed. Any BBCode you enter will be converted to HTML when you save." I can't bring up the regular editor in many threads, but I can in this one, I don't get it!

It really sucks because I type stuff and it goes away. Even with just the basic editor, I should be able to make a post. But when I hit "submit" it just goes to the top of the page. I am running all the scripts, not blocking anything that I know of. I can't post in that Woo thread, or the LCD-2 thread as another example, at all. I lost a whole freakin' tube-rolling diary I was trying to post. It actually happens in Firefox as well.

So any ideas why I can post in this thread, but not in others? If there is another thread for this please direct me to it, as I can't find it.

Damn you huddler 
angry_face.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 15
The latest issue for me in Chrome is I can no longer get the dialog box to pop up when I want to "search this forum" in the for sale forums. It works in Firefox and it works with other forums in Chrome.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 15
I have no issues when using Chrome on win 7 x86, sometimes chrome goes crazy when posting replies. 
Not a big deal. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 15
It was still broken yesterday but it's fixed today, thanks!

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 15
I don't get that w/ Chrome on Win7 64 either.  I have updated video drivers and no SP1 as it was unnecessary and glitchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back