Problems with Android playback
Jun 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

baconbash

New Head-Fier
Hello, and thank you for your time. I had been listening to FLACs of an album on my computer for a few days, with no problems. Just yesterday, I copied them to my phone, played them in VLC, and noticed the highs were extremely muffled. I tried playing them on my computer again (also VLC) with the same headphones, to see if it was fault of the headphones, but the songs sounded just as crystal clear as before on my computer. I switched back and forth a couple times to be sure that they sounded better on my computer, and they did by a lot. I thought it might have been VLC for Android's FLAC codecs, and tried AIMP, but got the same muffled highs. I downloaded 320kbps MP3s and tried those, but they had the exact same problem as the FLACs. Tried the MP3s on my computer again, and they were clear as the FLACs were on my computer.

Does anyone know what exactly is causing the issue? I haven't noticed it on any other songs, but it doesn't seem to be the source files. Could something that is so noticeably bad be placebo?

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Phone: Sprint Galaxy S4
Headphones: Standard Samsung headphones (Yeah, I know.)
Volume: 1/2-3/4 way up.

I was hoping this was something general that happens with phones that I just couldn't find on Google.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmmm....S4 is supposed to have OK sound. Could be something in VLC on your phone effecting the sound. Try PowerAmp for Android. It's a good music player.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 7
SGS phones don't have as good a sound as people claim, or at least, that's only true for those that have whatever DAC they claim is better. My SGS is as good as my tonally similar iPod 5.5g, but my SGS3 has an obvious bass distortion (well, at least on IEMs that already have some bass boost) that gets in the way of the overall tone. Use its USB audio output, and it sounds identical to when using a computer on the same system via USB.

It's hard to know if there's some software hocus pocus going on to enhance the bass or if it's just distortion out of its audio chip, but basically on the go I just don't care too much because I'm too lazy to lug around something else on top of the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back