Problems when using two soundcards at once.
Dec 1, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
I have an EMU-1212M that i use with my media files on my computer. I had an Audigy 2 zs that i planned on keeping to use for games (since i'm a gamer). I can't get my Audigy 2 zs to work (i have botht he emu and a2zs plugged in right now). I can only access the THX Set up Console but there is nothing to select when i try to select the speaker type. Other settings like speaker setting i cant access, i get a pop up window saying "unable to change the sound device to your selected device" and "Creative MediaSource Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.". THe hardware is enable too. I can't get any sound of of the audigy 2 zs (music, games, etc). I have my logitech x-530 plugged in right now.. Any ideas?

Dec 1, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Well i got my foobar and mediamonkey to work with my audigy 2 zs. I switched the output from the EMu to Audigy but if i want to switch back, i have to do it manually. So its either one?... Looks like theres some conflicts between the EMU software and Audigy software. The audigy 2 software does not function properly and i cant play any games at all (Counter Strike or battlefield 2)... Any opinions?

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 7
no idea, but i'll just add in my experience with two other totally different sound cards

i have no problem using two sound cards (AV710 and onboard nForce4 realtek crap), and heck i can use BOTH of them at the same time
etysmile.gif

sorry couldn't be of any help lol

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no idea, but i'll just add in my experience with two other totally different sound cards

i have no problem using two sound cards (AV710 and onboard nForce4 realtek crap), and heck i can use BOTH of them at the same time
etysmile.gif

sorry couldn't be of any help lol

Yep, on one of my computers I had the 1212m and the onboard AC97 based sound. One was providing the in-game sound while I was playing Counterstrike and the other was recieving the ASIO output from Winamp and providing my headamp with signal. I actually only tried that once.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 7
The EMU's and Audigys share the same drivers so there WILL be problems. There are some methods to get around them. I got my 0404 and audigy 2 working fine after a lot of installation hassles.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 7
You must enable one at a time in system property. Each disable would cost a restart. This is the most reliable way to have them install in one PC. I have used emu1212m/emu1820m and a2/x-fi for a very long time. Creative even asks you to remove one of them.

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 7
As mentioned, the problem is the same driverfile filenames and locations. The name is not actually an issue but the location since both are installed into system32 and system32\drivers.

What if you change the driver installation paths for Audigy card by editing the installer inf files? Just change those paths for Audigy drivers to something else as like system32\A2 and system32\drivers\A2.

Creative uses InstallShield as installer ... I suppose, there are demo versions you could use for editing (least for to examine the installation files).

- http://www.macrovision.com/products/...ld/index.shtml

If this method fails, you just need to delete those duplicates from system registry, delete those new file paths creatied and re-install unmodified driver package.

I examined most of those .sys and .dll files the Audigy uses and there wasn't imports/exports from/to other CT driver files (only ASIO driver does have one link (to ctosuser.dll)). If this method works, there may still be some conflicts w/ E-MU card if E-MU uses same registry path/key names and/or CLSIDs.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back