Problems when im listening!
Apr 26, 2004 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BMBROWN911

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is probably a stupid question and can be common among all people who get into hi end headphones but I wanted to post about this. I have some pretty decent equipment at the moment that to me sounds fabulous. Senn. HD600 and Grado SR325 headphones and then my Perreaux Amp hooked to a Music Hall CD 25 which is conected by some very good Dimarzio interconnects with that being said it sounds very sweet. But I always find myself listening to details and analyzing the music when i listen. Almost to the point of fatigue. I know a lot of people will tell me to buy better equipemtn and u wont have that problem but ive decided im not going to upgrade again for a long time. Dont try and change my mind. Anyways I was just curious if anyone was ever able to overcome this and just listen to sweet sounding music on some very sweet equipment...lol! So far I just cant stop analyzing everything. Drives me nutz...lol! Anywayz if anyone has anything to say about this let me know.. Peace out everyone!

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I think we've all been there or are there now to some degree. There's a good and bad side to it, the bad side is you are distracted from the music which happens to be what it's all about and the good side is you steadily gain a critical ear which has it's benefits. What I have done is I try to listen to new music and generes I wouldn't normally listen to. Part of the problem is you listen to the same music over and over, and that familiarity just feeds the problem. Try to remember that this "hobby" should be all about the music and that's what you are doing this for. Try to forget the gear and focus on the music. I hate to say it but hanging around here doesn't help either, but I wouldn't say stop coming here but just try and limit yourself to how often you visit. When you are here check out the music forum and try some new music, that could help. Appreciate the system you have now and get on with the music!
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 9
May be you can try some tube amps. They sound so fluid and smooth and they are not analytical like most of solid stage based amps (although I wouldn't consider Perreaux analytical amp). Of course, I second the idea of getting some new CDs (try something new?).

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Been there and know the feeling. I finally get all the pieces, put them together, and find myself listening to the result. Usually looking for something wrong.
rolleyes.gif
Bought the stuff for the music, and I'm listening to the equipment. Not what I had in mind.

In my experience it passes. The new wears off. I got used to the sound and comfortable with the way my rig was working. Then I could relax and pay attention to the musc. And Sean hit on a good point with his suggestion for listening to new recordings. I went digging into my collection for things I'd not heard in years and could listen without critical expectations.

How are you liking your Music Hall? Did you notice any change after playing with the display setting. I never did, but that might just be me.

BW

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 9
What you need to do at this point is to throw on some really good tunes, something you really really, something that makes you get up and boogie or sing along. Every now and then, I have to do this too.

Happy listening!
600smile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Might I suggest that there is no problem with your equipment. You don't need tubes or warmer gear. The issue is not one of tweaking but becoming comfortable with what your system has to offer.

At the latest Head-fi meet I was listening to one of my CD's on a stax paired with a KGSS and a top shelf Meridian player. This system with the top cables must have cost, oh...over $7,000 (tuberoller could help me out here). It was far beyond anything I will EVER afford. And, yea I found myself analyzing the details but LOVING the music. The issue is that, in your mind, you are "working" on perceiving details. You are a bit too much in your head, which is easy to do with the kind of bucks you dropped on your system. Forget about your system.

I suggest, popping in some silly cd of music you listened to ten years ago without any care for its quality, and dance. Yes, my friend, dance like a maniac in your room. Dance infront of your girlfriend, your wife, your mother. Dance to that crazy music you listened to ten years ago that makes you smile. Get all tangled up in your cord, trip, fall, roll on the floor laughing. because it is all about the music.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMBROWN911
.....with that being said it sounds very sweet. But I always find myself listening to details and analyzing the music when i listen. Almost to the point of fatigue.

What you need is a beer, or several beers depending on your alcohol tolerance. Just keep drinking until you're nice & relaxed and just grooving along to the music. Or if beer's not your thing have some wine or liquor, the point is to get some alcohol in your system so that you can't/don't analyze the music anymore. Either that or you get zonked out enough that you just don't care about the details anymore and just sit there boppin' your head with a silly grin on your face.

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't upgrade. You have a pretty decent system going there. Yes, I remember that there were times when I just have to analyze my equipment. I'll listen to a song for 30 seconds and keep switching CDs and cueing around to listen to the various instruments or vocalists. Drove me nuts after a while.

Perhaps you just need to get away from the rig for a couple of days. The madness should subside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back