Problems Driving the AKG K501
Jun 22, 2005 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had the K501s for a while now, and I am noticng that they are harder to drive (with an amp) than my Beyer 250-250s and HD 580s (300 ohm). The reason for this (that was explained to me) is that even though the impedance of the 501 is 120 ohm, it has a low sensitivity rating.

I basically notice that in doing an A/B with the other cans, at the same volume, the sound is softer and thinner. If I turn up the volume, it seems to compensate.

I'm just wondering if other people notice this, and if anyone has a good portable amp reccomendation to match up well with the K501.
confused.gif

Cheers.

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 8
yup. one of the most power hungry cans around. you can get adequate volume out of them easy enough, but getting the proper quality juice to flow to make them bloom in the bass-mids area is a different story. one I'm hoping to solve at the upcoming SJ meet.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I basically notice that in doing an A/B with the other cans, at the same volume, the sound is softer and thinner. If I turn up the volume, it seems to compensate.
I'm just wondering if other people notice this, and if anyone has a good portable amp reccomendation to match up well with the K501.
confused.gif

I noticed this exact same thing. I think you'll like the Portaphile. The SR71 is also good, but it doesn't make the sound as "full" as the Portaphile does-- especially in the midrange.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I noticed this exact same thing. I think you'll like the Portaphile. The SR71 is also good, but it doesn't make the sound as "full" as the Portaphile does-- especially in the midrange.

thanks, i've been thinking about upgrading to the portaphile, although all the swtiches being incorporated into the new model seem annoying.

I'm wondering if the new porta corda mk III will be a nice match with the K501.

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8
The new Ray Samuels Hornet prototype that I've heard at the NY meet sounded great with the K501's. No problems driving, good bass, and aggressive, forward sound. I'm not sure where the volume was at. I think that when these do become available, they'll be a very good match for the K501. They seem to be more midbass-midrange, drive & dynamics oriented than the SR-71, which has a brighter, more open and extended sound.

The Raptor sounds a lot like the Hornet, so if you want that kind of sound right now in a stationary amp, then it's probably the best way to go.

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Works a charm with Xin's SuperMacro 3 (four switches), although the pot needs to be set at about 1 o'clock. The bass boost really helps to extend the bass.

I second that. Have tried K501 with both Portaphile V2 and SM3 and the SM3 with bass boost on is the one!

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the K501s for a while now, and I am noticng that they are harder to drive (with an amp) than my Beyer 250-250s and HD 580s (300 ohm). The reason for this (that was explained to me) is that even though the impedance of the 501 is 120 ohm, it has a low sensitivity rating.

confused.gif

Cheers.

I have exactly the same problem and I found my X5L+Tomahawk is totally powerless to drive K501. The sound will even broken when try to make it louder.

Then I got Predator yesterday, and it is a little bit better. It sounds good, but it will still break at certain point on bass. The only difference between Tomahawk and Predator is that Tomahawk provides very small volume when reach the break point, while Predator is loud enough before it breaks.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back