Problem with Xonar Essence One
Oct 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 9
You may have a ground loop between the PC and the Essence One (can you test it with optical S/PDIF ?), or it could simply be a faulty unit. Then again, if your Xonar STX already worked perfectly before, and had no audible noise, then the upgrade would probably not have made much improvement.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Which input are you using? 

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
You may have a ground loop between the PC and the Essence One (can you test it with optical S/PDIF ?), or it could simply be a faulty unit. Then again, if your Xonar STX already worked perfectly before, and had no audible noise, then the upgrade would probably not have made much improvement.

It says in the OP that I am not even using a PC, I just plugged it into an outlet and then plugged in my HD 800s and twisted the volume knob. Around 12 o'clock and higher the noise is terrible.

Quote:
Which input are you using? 

The headphone amp on the front? DURRR?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

The headphone amp on the front? DURRR?

That's not an input.

It might just be defective if you're not using any input. But I would try a 3 to 2 prong adapter just in case, they're about 50 cents. Good chance you'll need one when using it with a PC anyways.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks Chewy :) 

You should not be getting any noise at all, aside from what Chewy suggested the only other thing I can think of is it may need a firmware update (you will need to connect it to a PC and download firmware from the ASUS product page).

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
That's not an input.

It might just be defective if you're not using any input. But I would try a 3 to 2 prong adapter just in case, they're about 50 cents. Good chance you'll need one when using it with a PC anyways.

Sorry, misread, thought it said output. Was using USB before I disconnected everything to check and make sure it wasn't my PC that was causing the noise coming through the headphone port. I thought that was kind of clear.

Quote:
Thanks Chewy :) 

You should not be getting any noise at all, aside from what Chewy suggested the only other thing I can think of is it may need a firmware update (you will need to connect it to a PC and download firmware from the ASUS product page).

Already stated in the OP that the firmware is updated.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 9
In that case, RMA it, either back to store or ASUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back