Problem with sekller. Am I in the right forum?
May 1, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #47 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the $51 never came to me since im having a negative balance. it just reduces the amount of negative balance i have.

Correct. I owe a lot of money for my brand new house, and if someone misdirects a payment to me and it ends up going to my bank in the form of a mortgage payment, they have still essentially paid me the money as it serves to offset my debt obligation to the bank by an equal amount. Sure, I'd be upset if someone deliberately chose to pay me in that way, but how could I claim that the person hadn't paid me anything?

If you have a legitimate dispute over the negative balance in your PayPal account, it isn't the buyer's responsibility to resolve it.

EDIT: Back to my earlier point about the seller having the choice to accept a PayPal payment, I will post below the standard text I have received on every occasion when I've been notified by PayPal of a pending payment:

You Have a Payment Pending!

Dear xxxx,

This email confirms that xxxx has sent $xxxx USD to your Personal account.

To accept this payment, log in to the PayPal website and click the Accept button next to this transaction.

I know that PayPal has different rules and procedures for US vs. EU accounts, and I have an EU Personal account. This is how it works for me, and I have not changed any settings or preferences to make payment acceptance a voluntary action.

May 1, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #48 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. I owe a lot of money for my brand new house, and if someone misdirects a payment to me and it ends up going to my bank in the form of a mortgage payment, they have still essentially paid me the money as it serves to offset my debt obligation to the bank by an equal amount. Sure, I'd be upset if someone deliberately chose to pay me in that way, but how could I claim that the person hadn't paid me anything?

If you have a legitimate dispute over the negative balance in your PayPal account, it isn't the buyer's responsibility to resolve it.

Yuuuuup. The seller was immature here and did a really jerk thing without meaning to, but he did pay, so the beef is with Paypal, not him.

I think the fact that he did pay by just taking a shot in the dark should be reflected in his feedback, but that's about it.

May 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #49 of 96
since there have been so many suggestions as to how the two parties might proceed i'll refrain from commenting on that. however i have a (perhaps an obvious) suggestion to kamal. close your bank account and open another one. it may be inconvenient but there are often incentives to open new accounts. the other day i saw an ad offering a $150 bonus to new account holders. also you really need to find a way to try and resolve your dispute with paypal. i don't know if you have a legal leg to stand on but paypal's selling point is that they are a secure way to transact internet money transfers. they even imply that they are amongst the most secure ways, if not the most secure way, to do these sorts of transactions. if there was a breach of security perhaps you have grounds for a claim against them (but maybe not). if this isn't resolved it will (and perhaps already has) negatively impact your credit rating. this can prove to be a major hassle for you when you exit the student world and try to enter the work force as some potential employers will check this and may deny you employment based partly on that (and will likely never tell you the reason), let alone trying to get a credit card, car loan, rent an apartment etc. you may need to hook up with someone with a good credit rating quick!
wink.gif

May 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #50 of 96
Also guys, keep in mind that it's very easy to end up with a negative PayPal account balance because of their ridiculous "Buyer Protection" program with absolutely zero seller protection. Let's say you and Mr. X agree on a deal to sell an RS-1 to him for $500. You agree on a mode of shipment, exchange PayPal addresses, and everything is hunky-dory. When Mr. X receives the item, since you didn't request signature confirmation (almost no one does), all he has to do is email PayPal stating that he didn't receive the item (the seller is guilty until proven innocent under the PayPal system), so PayPal will immediately remove $500 from the seller's account. If the account is at zero (which it should always be after every sale), then it just becomes negative and you have to move on to a new account.

May 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #51 of 96
In al honesty, I think this problem falls almost entirely on kamal007 for having a paypal account with a negative balance still linked to his bank account. I'm honestly really surprised that Paypal hasn't tried to pull this money from your bank account.

May 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #52 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to be blunt but clearly it is the OP's fault. If the paypal payment was made prior to comfirming the correct paypal address, then the OP should pay the $51 back. They had good intentions but still should have confirmed the paypal address, there are no excuses for assuming things when it comes to money. Although it is not a big amount, it is still money that rightfully belongs to Kamal007!!!

x2

Paypal sucks and you can easily get a negative Paypal balance without doing something wrong.
The thread starter did assume this and did assume that and in the end he did misinform the seller about the refund procedure.
His intentions were certainly good but what he did was wrong, period, and he has to pay for his faults.

May 1, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #53 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: Back to my earlier point about the seller having the choice to accept a PayPal payment, I will post below the standard text I have received on every occasion when I've been notified by PayPal of a pending payment:

You Have a Payment Pending!

Dear xxxx,

This email confirms that xxxx has sent $xxxx USD to your Personal account.

To accept this payment, log in to the PayPal website and click the Accept button next to this transaction.

I know that PayPal has different rules and procedures for US vs. EU accounts, and I have an EU Personal account. This is how it works for me, and I have not changed any settings or preferences to make payment acceptance a voluntary action.

Hey Jaska,
I personally believe that i dont owe Paypal any money since i didnt use that account. I couldnt log in into the account for awhile because im getting some sort of error. Yes, ive tried different browser on different ips. Paypal couldnt resolve the problem for me and when im able to log in, baam the negative balance is there.

The pending payment didnt work for me since it was automatic for every transaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuuuuup. The seller was immature here and did a really jerk thing without meaning to, but he did pay, so the beef is with Paypal, not him.

I think the fact that he did pay by just taking a shot in the dark should be reflected in his feedback, but that's about it.

I could easily let the situation be like this on the first place but in the spirit of headfi, ive tried refunding him the money since i was informed by him that everything will be all right but it didnt. it took the money from the bank account and the money has been received by Mitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since there have been so many suggestions as to how the two parties might proceed i'll refrain from commenting on that. however i have a (perhaps an obvious) suggestion to kamal. close your bank account and open another one. it may be inconvenient but there are often incentives to open new accounts. the other day i saw an ad offering a $150 bonus to new account holders. also you really need to find a way to try and resolve your dispute with paypal. i don't know if you have a legal leg to stand on but paypal's selling point is that they are a secure way to transact internet money transfers. they even imply that they are amongst the most secure ways, if not the most secure way, to do these sorts of transactions. if there was a breach of security perhaps you have grounds for a claim against them (but maybe not). if this isn't resolved it will (and perhaps already has) negatively impact your credit rating. this can prove to be a major hassle for you when you exit the student world and try to enter the work force as some potential employers will check this and may deny you employment based partly on that (and will likely never tell you the reason), let alone trying to get a credit card, car loan, rent an apartment etc. you may need to hook up with someone with a good credit rating quick!
wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions but my credit score is good as if right now. I checked them via my credit card credit protector service from Citibank

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also guys, keep in mind that it's very easy to end up with a negative PayPal account balance because of their ridiculous "Buyer Protection" program with absolutely zero seller protection. Let's say you and Mr. X agree on a deal to sell an RS-1 to him for $500. You agree on a mode of shipment, exchange PayPal addresses, and everything is hunky-dory. When Mr. X receives the item, since you didn't request signature confirmation (almost no one does), all he has to do is email PayPal stating that he didn't receive the item (the seller is guilty until proven innocent under the PayPal system), so PayPal will immediately remove $500 from the seller's account. If the account is at zero (which it should always be after every sale), then it just becomes negative and you have to move on to a new account.

except for me. i didnt have a chargeback. paypal randomly chooses my account and put a whole lot chunk of negative balance on it

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In al honesty, I think this problem falls almost entirely on kamal007 for having a paypal account with a negative balance still linked to his bank account. I'm honestly really surprised that Paypal hasn't tried to pull this money from your bank account.

My fault for having the paypal with negative balance?

Let me check here:

Did i tell the OP that its the correct paypal address? Nope
Did i refunded the OP even if its not my mistake? Yes
Who is out of $51? Me
Offered the seller to buy his headphones (SR225) to clear the debt +some money of course? Yes

Still im at fault here?
confused.gif
confused.gif

May 4, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #55 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not have a pair of 225's for sale. Those have long time been reserved. Sorry but they are unavailable.

sorry but im only interested in the SR225 or cash of course
wink.gif

May 4, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #56 of 96
I offer you a gift and you make conditions on it? For the record
I give up. Whatever is decided by whoever decides it whether it be a headfi board of directors or the members ourselves I will obide with the ruling of the people who are in charge of these decisions. If it is decided I owe you money then I shall pay you but if it is decided we are even I don't want to hear of it further. If by "ruining my reputaion" you mean the truth be told
i'm in. I have nothing to hide.

May 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #57 of 96
Quote:

I offer you a gift and you make conditions on it? .

Mitch, this is depressing.You don't offer a gift.You owe kamaloo7 money and he is so generous to accept a trade in case he has a use for what you offer.
Again : he didn't ask you to transfer money via Paypal.
You agreed with the seller on a money order and you should have acted accordingly.You did not, it's your fault, and now you have to pay for it.
Losing money because of foolishness sucks, but that's what reputable adults do:they take responsibility for their mistakes and don't blame someone else for their faults.

May 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #58 of 96
Quote:

I give up. Whatever is decided by whoever decides it whether it be a headfi board of directors or the members ourselves I will obide with the ruling of the people who are in charge of these decisions. If it is decided I owe you money then I shall pay you but if it is decided we are even I don't want to hear of it further. If by "ruining my reputaion" you mean the truth be told
i'm in. I have nothing to hide.

You don't owe kamal007 a single penny, his financial situation is absolutely not your problem. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Honestly, the responses in this thread...

confused.gif

EK

May 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #59 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't owe kamal007 a single penny, his financial situation is absolutely not your problem. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

confused.gif

EK

why not? Did you read the whole thread?

I refunded him the money using my bank account (i could leave the money as is and dont refund anything if im a jerk but i refunded him the money although it was his mistake) and he got the money. He only paid me $300+shipping (agreed price) and i have to pay him $51 because of his mistake?

Think again
wink.gif

May 4, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #60 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you even bother to read what happened?
Seller and buyer did have an agreement about the payment method.
The buyer decided to ignore it.

What would you think if someone ows you money and you agree on cash tomorrow at noon in the mensa.
The buyer meets your brother by chance in the evening and decides to give him a downpayment because he has got the impression you need the money fast.Simply what he has in the wallet at this moment.This is against the agreement but who cares.
He assumes your brother will give the money to you later that evening.
Unfortunately your brother is a drug addict and blows the money on crack five minutes later.
Would the buyer still owe you the money?

Besides of that you don't have a clue regarding paypal.
A google search with the terms "paypal sucks" yields 241000 hits including dedicated websites like paypal sucks.com and the paypal sucks forum.Having trouble with Paypal doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Quote:

his financial situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back