Problem with my Ibasso D3
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

omoanya

100+ Head-Fier
I am sad to report that I received the D3 and while it sounds really great (iphone G3 > Qables silver LOD > ER4p ) there is a problem with my unit -- The unit I purchased seems to have a problem at the input jack. touching the metal tip of a miniplug on the edge (rim) of the jack causes a very painful crackling sound when the rim of the jack is bridged with the case. It is very painful and i suffered temporary hearing loss in my ears after this happened. If the plug has a metal base like the qables LOD , the crackling happens when ever the cord is bent. Anyone else have this problem ? Ibasso replied promptly to my email and offered to exchange or refund but I have to mail the thing back to China and then wait for them to send one back to me, which im not really excited about. I thought maybe theres something simple i can do to fixit or maybe use it for the DAC only ... anyone else ?

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 19

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
That is apparently normal behavior for the D3...mine does that also.

I checked my P3 to see if it does the same thing, and it does not.

You might try making an insulator out of a small circle of electrical tape, and making a hole in the center large enough to allow you to slide it over the male part of your interconnect and stick fast to the face of your interconnect, thus insulating your metal connector from the metal case.

I hope this is reassuring to you that yours is not the only one exhibiting this behavior.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 19

tomjtx

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I tried wiggling the LOD and got some pop , this also happens with my Move.
The D3 actually is less sensitive to this prob. than my Move (I like both amps,btw)

I usually velcro my amp to my iPOD so this only happens if I take them apart.

don't know if that would solve your problem though.

X2 on HighFlights suggestion. I am going to try that right now if I can find my tape.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 19

tomjtx

500+ Head-Fier
INTRODUCING THE HI-TOM MOD FOR D3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
regular_smile .gif

OK,
In honor of HighFlight for suggesting the mod and yours truly for doing it so quickly.

This works like a charm. I can pull, wiggle move it around like crazy and ZERO pop or crackle.

I put a little hole in the middle of some electrical tape and then slid the tip of my LOD through it. The base of my LOD is metal also. This left some tape glue on the LOD tip which came off easily with Craig de toxit cleaner
I haven't cut it to shape yet because I wanted to make sure it worked.

If you have small hair scissors it is very easy to cut the tape to shape after it is on the LOD. Simply follow the contour of the LOD base and you get a perfect circle and the tape is already on.

This entire process take only a few minutes and even a klutz like me can do it.

So, omoanya you won't need to send that amp back after all.

Thanks HF for that excellent suggestion.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 19

omoanya

100+ Head-Fier
Wow - thanks guys -- i can see how that would work -- though clearly it is a chassis grounding problem and shouldn't occur - it happens with any plugtip as well if you miss the jack -- reminds me of some board game i used to play as a kid - you had to use a pointer without touching the metal rim or else you get zapped .. ANyway I will try the tape though I am thoroughly enjoying the SR 71a that i just got --- i may end up using the D3 for the DAC only between my laptop and my T-amplifier ..
Omoanya

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 19

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, mine does it. It can really hurt the ears and isn't great for the phones.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 19

omoanya

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Tomjtx - i did try it but the problem is with the tape, the plug doesnt fit well into any of my other preamps, so i have decided, for now to keep the D3 solely as a DAC. I noticed the same thing happens for the USB plug in the back ...there is a short circuit potential there as well and a major crackling sound occurs. I am actually quite upset about this, now that i see it is a design flaw and not a one off problem. Its a grounding issue of the most basic type and it should not have escaped Ibasso.

My ears still aren't quite back to normal from the trauma, i am a music producer and already have some hearing loss from other audio malfunctions in the past, so i know what its like to suffer from excessive spl. If this company were in the U.S. they would be in big trouble. I hope they take note and fix the problem before selling anymore of these potentially hazardous units.

Omoanya

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 19

tomjtx

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could redo the tape? My D3 is 100% fixed with the tape mod and my LOD still works with my move .

I have had NO problems with the usb input whatsoever. So that might not be an issue with all the D3s

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 19

omoanya

100+ Head-Fier
I probably need to find some thinner tape, because when i used electrical tape, the LOD doesnt make full contact in my RSA SR71a
Re: the USB port try bridging to the adjacent chassis with a plug or metal object while you have analog input running to your headphones (not that you would do this normally.... If my theory of a faulty ground holds, i believe you'll get the same loud crackling and distortion

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 19

Flood_of_SYNs

New Head-Fier
What about using some paint, as I am thinking about acquiring one of these amps this problem concerns me.

I am hoping either tape or paint will fix this problem if I get one and they haven't fixed this issue by then.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 19

mortonjl

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry if I'm in the minority, but you shouldn't have to do a mod to make a brand new unit work. This should be done by iBasso, hopefully mine will be here in a couple of days and I won't have this problem. jamato8, does this happen with the T4?

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 19

palestofwhite

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Mine came with that problem as well. But what made me return the D3 Python for a pair of ath-esw10jpn was interference with RF around my area and when commuting, especially in the train.

For that part of the D3 could have been my favourite. Well now I just have to patiently wait for my esw10 and iPod Nano to arrive.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread