Problem with micro-USB to portable amp
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

daanh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I use a Samsung Galaxy S4, connected via USB to a RSA Inruder amp. The micro-USB connection from the phone to the cable is very vulnerable. I use a small OTG cable by JDS labs. The slightest touch to the connector can stop the playback.

When I first had this combo I put it my pocket with the usb cable pointing down. After some time these problems started. Since then I always put it in my pocket with the usb cable turned upwards so it doesn't get any force on it.

I have two cables at the moment, and they both have this problem. I went to a phone guy and had a new micro-USB port put in my phone. But the problem is still there... 

I orderded three new cables and hope that I can somehow fix this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Daan

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 3
I had the exact same problem.  It's not the cables; it's the terrible micro-usb design.  It's too loose.  It should be locking somehow, that would solve the problem.

It's fine if you just take it to school and work and have the phone and amp sitting on a desk, but for walking around (or in my case, walking around at work, on ladders, crouching ,etc) or other physical movements, the USB connection will break and the sound will cut out.

Unless your phone does analog line out (which I highly doubt. No phones that I know of have this function), you will have to buy a DAP like I did and use the analog line out on the DAP to the amp.    a 3.5 MM internconnect between DAP and amp can get bumped and your pocket but the sound will never cut out like a USB cable.   

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 3
FWIW, I used to use an ipod classic as source to a portable amp, with the 30 pin LOD cable.   That was better than the micro-usb cable line out, but not much better.  It would still cut out from time to time when I crouched down or twisted my body up on a ladder.

The Lightning connecter seems pretty solid and tight and I bet that would not cut out like the 30 pin or the Micro USB, but that involves having an iPhone when you already have a Galaxy.   Or just an iPod, but then if you are going to use a dedicated source it's better to go with an audiophile dap.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back