post-12818365
Post #1 of 1

NickedWicked

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello kind people of Head-Fi,

I recently bought myself a nice setup to get more into music. Yesterday I was setting up everything, all went fine. Until I got to the part with the Bifrost the USB, where my laptop wouldn't accept the input into the 2.0 USB ports and would simply not recognize the DAC only USB did work. I know about the Windows 10 USB 2.0 drivers from the Schiit website which I installed but after installing the DAC would just go crazy with the mechanical clicks, I wanted to try the registry fix but it simply wouldn't let me with the device going on and off in device manager. Also there was no such thing as a USB Host Controller when I looked for connection type, manually searching for EnhancedPowerManagementEndabled but to no avail.

So I just gave up and grabbed my other laptop which seems to have no such issue, in which the USB 2.0 actually did work and communicate with the DAC, so it finally worked. Now I have another problem I get weird digital noise as sound, I do hear the music quite clearly but there is a very digital sound to it. I fiddled around in the sound menu, and after raising the sample rate to 96000 and above it worked I hear it double click and I have clear sound. Bit depth doesn't seem to matter, only changing sample rate to something higher fixed it. Now I must run FB2K with WASAPI with SOX resampler enabled to 96000 otherwise I will get the weird sound again. If I go any lower than 96000 it'll activate the mute relay and the digital sound will begin again.

Is this how it's supposed to sound/work? Because this seems really weird to me, I'm starting to think I have a defect.

Specs:

AMP: Lyr 2
DAC: Bifrost Multibit aka Bimby (Bifrost RCA Output to Lyr 2 RCA Input)
USB: 2.0 cable, less then 2M
Laptop 1: Simply doesn't work goes on/off all the time or does nothing in normal 2.0 ports, USB Host for Bifrost can't be found in Device Manager, Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolling back to W7 as it has also problems with the switchable graphics since the Anniversary Update. Will try to connect DAC/AMP afterwards again.
Laptop 2: Does work with 2.0 port, but has issues with sample rate which needs to be raised to at least 96000 before starting to sound clear after the muting relay does it's job. Windows 10 Anniversary update.

Viable option to try: Connect AMP and DAC to my desktop PC (Windows 10 AU) which has SPDIF and just bypass the USB hassle altogether.

I'm at my wits end here, if someone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: It's actually 88200Hz and above before it starts the digital sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)