Problem with ART DI/O - please help
Jul 24, 2002 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kajohndet

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I've just received ART DI/O and it sounds good. But I have one problem that's really bothering me.

Whenever I switch the sample rate to 48/96 (both 48 and 96), there is audible (loud) static in the left channel, increasing as I turn volume up. For 44.1/88.2, there is no problem at all. I've tried to switch amps to supreme and baby stax, and it's still there. So right now I can use only at 44.1/88.2 modes.

Is there a problem with my unit or else? Please help
frown.gif

My setup:

AMC CD8B --> ART DI/O --> MH Head DT, Supreme --> HD580

Thanks so much

John

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 11
kaj -

can't help you with your question. but when you get your problem solved, can you give a subjective report on the differences between using your source alone vs. using the DAC?

TIA.

-j

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 11
It's not an amp issue, it is a transport issue, and it is normal... I run my DI/O in external sync (green light on bottom) mode, some modes give me a small hum and some modes give me a loud hiss...

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
That's releived.
tongue.gif

Anybody else faces this issue?
So the only way to fix is to change transport, chych?

Thanks

John

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kajohndet

Whenever I switch the sample rate to 48/96 (both 48 and 96), there is audible (loud) static in the left channel, increasing as I turn volume up. For 44.1/88.2, there is no problem at all. I've tried to switch amps to supreme and baby stax, and it's still there. So right now I can use only at 44.1/88.2 modes.

You're fine. Mine does the exact same thing. I always use the external sync rather than switching. Oh, and in response to you other post: nope, there is not a power switch. I just leave it, the Corda (switch in rear) and NS500V on all the time. Yeah, my sig needs updating.
cool.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Should I remove the tube?

And I'm thinking to wire cables this way, just for fun....

Analog out from CDP --> Analog in ART --> Analog out ART --> Headphone Amp

Will this work and will the signal pass through tube? or I need to do it this way.

Analog out from CDP --> Analog in ART --> Digital out ART --> Digital in ART --> Analog out ART --> Headphone Amp

Just out of curiousity. But it would be great if I can control sound through tube warmth mode.

and jpelg, my initial impression for ART is detail. I just realized after I listened for a while that my AMC CD8B also have 24 bit, 96 kHz DAC too. I listened setting 88.2 kHz on ART and I found ART to be more detailed, and it's very noticable. I heard passage that I've not heard before. I'm sure it's not placebo, since I just checked AMC manual after I finished listening. By the way, I need some more time with it. Hope it's getting better and better.

Thanks

John

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 11
The noise is a non-issue. The DI/O used as a DAC can only sample at a multiple of the input sample. As an external DAC, it should normally be set for external sync. The sampling rate is mainly for A to D conversion, not the other way around. Since a CD is recorded at 44.1 KHz, the 44.1 or 88.2 settings are the only ones that will work. The other settings will have the DI/O running at a different timing from your source, and you've heard the results. Take a 48 KHz source, such as the output from many sound cards, and only the 48 and 96 KHz sampling rates will sound good. 44 and 88 KHz will produce the odd noises with that source.

In order to use the DI/O as a signal processor for analog signal processing, you will need to have the digital output looped to the digital input.

The tube is not needed if used as a DAC, but would be required for the analog signal processing. There is debate about whether or not removing the tube improves the sound. At least one engineer has found that removing the tube introduces instability in the circuit unless the tube power supply components are removed also. This may not be audible or even harmful. Try it both ways and see what you like.

Jul 26, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you Hirsch,

That answered all of my questions.

By the way, I'm really having fun with this baby. For DAC part, ART could produce every detail out of my CDs. It is very revealing without compromising (good or bad, it depends). Another thing that improved is image and 3-dimensioness of soundstage. It's easier to identify each instrument and vocal. Also it's so darn clean.

For ADC, I've tried to loop as I previously mentioned (also as Hirsch suggested). I was really having fun with it. Tube warmth mode added the most to midrange. The only problem was that combination of input gain and warmness might need to be adjusted according to each CD. Also it's not as clean as running only through DAC, but it's just different story. Sometimes I need clealiness, but sometimes musical
cool.gif

Just my first 36 hrs though.

Thanks

John

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Incidentally, two of my DI/O's came with Chinese 12AX7 tubes, while the third came with a Sovtek. Replacing the DI/O's tube with a good NOS 12AX7 can improve the analog signal processing sound. IMO a 5751 won't work here, you need a 12AX7. I'm using an Amperex 12AX7 in one DI/O that sounds pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back