Probably done to death but best amp for Grado SR225s?
Feb 21, 2007 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vold

New Head-Fier
Im about to recieve my sr225s and would like to start shopping for an amp at max price $150 (but feel free to list ones that go over if it is essential). my computer is the source using chaintech av710 soundcard playing mp3s of at least 192kbps (trying to go for more flac lately). im sure there is an amp (portable or not) that is the best match for the sr225s. and more specifically alt rock, folk, pop, postrock, shoegaze, etc... i WOULD like to be able to use the amp for HD650s/600s when i do get them but that is not a priority.

right now im using sr60s through the headphone output of my logitech 5300s. ppl here have told me i should connect my headphones directly to the line out of the av710 but i tried that and the bass was considerably lacking (but had cleaner vocals and and guitars) so i am now plugging it back into the headphone out of my logitechs. anyone know why this is? could it be the logitech is "amping" the sound (since it has an amp on the back of the sub)?

anyways plz give me some suggestions!!! tHANKS

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 19
very much done to death, but besides the obvious:
Edit: I swear, Grado website sucks for linking... Grado RA1, look i up.

over your budget, but known to be very synergetic with grados.

For hd600/650 additional to the mix look elsewhere. Recently C&C box got lots of love, as it is a pretty high current amp it should do well with low impedance grados.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 19
best for bass slam would be a Dyna amp (dynalo, dynamid, dynahi, dynamight). but to somewhat releive the harsh treble and smooth out the graininess, go for a tube amp.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 19
In your price range, the best amp for my SR225 that I've heard to date is a Go-Vibe V6 with 12V PSU and a 9.6V NiMH rechargeable battery for portability. If portability is not sought, forget the 9.6V battery. That'll run about $105 plus about $10 shipping (without the battery). The Go-Vibe V6 (with AD8397/AD825 opamps) brings out not only the energy, impact and texture of the SR225, but also the timbral beauty, fullness/richness of sound and soundstage (yes, soundstage) of which this fine pair of headphones is capable when the amp feeds its needs. This amp has a 1/8" mini stereo headphone jack, so you'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for your SR225. This amp also does a very competent job driving my HD580 - I am quite a bit more impressed with how the Go-Vibe with AD8397/AD825 drives the HD580 than I am with how the Go-Vibe with LM6172/LM6171 drives them.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is everything recommending low-end amps? the poster asked for the BEST amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at max price $150

cotdt... read, digest, THEN post.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 19
What about that "faithamp"; that looks pretty decent. Could also try to see if you can find a used Xin Supermini III and maybe put something like the AD8058 in there.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 19
oyy here it goes again, Im sure I posted the exact same thing like 100 times already

I'm gonna assume that you havent listen to it yet.

You dont even have the 225s yet. Why are you shopping for an amp already? You dont know what it sounds like and even if it needs an amp! Please, go listen to your 225s and THEN if you feel like somethings missing, then go look for something that might help! such as an amp or a different source or a DAC

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so does anyone recommend the go vibe v6 over the headphonia or c&c box v2? how is the bass with the go vibe?

I haven't heard the headphonia or c&c box v2, so I can't compare the Go-Vibe v6 to those amps. As to observations and comparisons I CAN offer: The bass with the Go-Vibe v6 is full, rich, detailed, spacious and transparent. The sound through the SR225 paired with a Go-Vibe v6 closely rivals that through the SR225 paired with a PPA fitted with discrete buffer.

That said, the advice of jinp6301 is quite good. Listen to the sound of the SR225 for awhile with your source and wait until your ears know better what they are looking for in the sound, if anything. At that point, you'll be able to better target your search for what will deliver an enrichment of the sonic qualities you are looking for.

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 19
I just sold a GoVibe5 that sounded very nice with my 225's. I bought a nice Millett that works VERY well with these phones. I am very happy with this combo.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 19
ok i just got my sr225s. they definitely need an amp. the bass is severely lacking and the highs are really piercing at higher volume. the mids are good though (like for folk). my sr60s sound better right now (but maybe cause im using this ****** 1/4" - 1/8" adapter for the sr225). these grados are used so i dont think its the burn in.

right now im trying to decide between go vibe v6 and the c&c box v2. ive had some suggestions for the go vibe and a strong recc for c&c box. maybe some of you who just got your v6s can give me some impressions.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 19
wow i switched the bowl pads of the sr225 with the flabby worn out flat pads of my sr60 and all the bass came through whoaaaaaaaaaaaa. do people prefer flat pads to bowl pads or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back