Prob w/ amp...any ideas???
Nov 17, 2002 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

D-Audi

Head-Fier
I just built an ear+ amp for my headphones but used a run of the mill potentiometer from antique electronics.com for like 3 bucks to save some money. I don't know if the potentiometer could be the problem but when I turn the volume up a little bit I get a weird hum, but after about between 1/4 - 1/2 turn the hum stops and the music is fine. The pot is touching the output transforumer inside but I have electrical tape between each so there shouldn't be a problem right? Could it be anything else besides the pot??

Also at about 3/4 the turn it's really hard to turn, but will still turn and get louder..it's just alot harder to turn...are all pots like this???

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
I just built an ear+ amp for my headphones but used a run of the mill potentiometer from antique electronics.com for like 3 bucks to save some money. I don't know if the potentiometer could be the problem but when I turn the volume up a little bit I get a weird hum, but after about between 1/4 - 1/2 turn the hum stops and the music is fine. The pot is touching the output transforumer inside but I have electrical tape between each so there shouldn't be a problem right? Could it be anything else besides the pot??

Also at about 3/4 the turn it's really hard to turn, but will still turn and get louder..it's just alot harder to turn...are all pots like this???

Looks like you've got a bad pot. Pots should not be hard to turn after a certain point (uniform pressure should be applied across).

Secondly, isolate the pot from the enclosure if the case is metal/ conductive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back