Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #721 of 777
I thought they fixed that a long time ago. The first production run did not have that problem, but a later one did. Are the serial numbers close together? Maybe they're from the same bad batch.
I don't remember the SN of the first unit but the SN of the replacement is:
18A029194
I wish it was still under warranty but unfortunately I got it over a year ago. Would be nice if the company could make good on defective units, but I guess that is too much to hope for.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #722 of 777
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #723 of 777
... I found it impossible to successfully reattach the USB socket. One Pre Box to the graveyard!
I suggest you try a mobile phone repair shop. It's amazing what those guys can do. Choose one large enough to have experienced staff, but not so large that they are too "procedurised" and cannot think outside the box.

It is interesting (to me anyway) that this exact same issue existed in the predecessor to the S2D, namely the Audiolab MDAC. (Manufactured by different people in different factories.)

PS. There are some tips about how to open up the box in this Google Doc about the Pre Box S2 Digital.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #724 of 777
Assuming it still works from the USB B input, what would you let it go for?
It does work from the USB input but not with all sources. This is well-known and mentioned in the manual. After I reassembled it, it did not work from my phone USB C but did work normally with my DAP USB C output.
Make me a reasonable offer via PM and we can discuss it.
Thanks..
Ron

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #725 of 777
So, what's the consensus please, all these years on, as to whether the S2D warrants experiments/faffing around with USB regeneration accessories (eg. Uptone)? I have always assumed that the designer John Westlake did a good-enough job on the DAC for USB add-ons not to be necessary. Has anyone of us discovered a justifiably-priced USB decrapifier which works unambiguously well with the S2D?

May 11, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #726 of 777
I've managed to consistently ruined 3 Pre Box S2 Digital, namely, the clocks (44,1 one time, 48 two times).

As far as I can see, it hapens while playing MQA from Tidal via MyVolumio on Raspberry Pi 4, pausing (sometimes over an hour), changing from Tidal to NAS, Radio Paradise, etc, diferent samplings and file formats, all trought the same system/OS.

At some point one of the clock frequencies (and it multiples) begins to play with distortion.

I've found two more similar reports on the internet.

Anyone else have this hapened?

May 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #727 of 777
I've managed to consistently ruined 3 Pre Box S2 Digital, namely, the clocks (44,1 one time, 48 two times).

As far as I can see, it hapens while playing MQA from Tidal via MyVolumio on Raspberry Pi 4, pausing (sometimes over an hour), changing from Tidal to NAS, Radio Paradise, etc, diferent samplings and file formats, all trought the same system/OS.

At some point one of the clock frequencies (and it multiples) begins to play with distortion.

What is your firmware version? (Menu, down arrow, down arrow.)

May 11, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #728 of 777
Don't have any unit now with me, but I've checked on all the 3 units I've had and it was the latest, 2.12 if I recall correctly. Also MyVolumio is updated and power sources are good enough (Raspberry oficial or iFi iPower on Raspberry and Pro-Ject Accubox USB, designed for the Pre Box).
The Raspberry does not have anything else connected besides USB to Pre Box and Ethernet cables.
I've had other Raspberry Pi 3 and 4, several diferent DAC's (without MQA decoding), and the problem seams to be only with this combination.

May 11, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #729 of 777

That's crazy :dizzy_face:

May 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #730 of 777
I don't use TIDAL, but I do stream QOBUZ (no mqa) via Volumio to an RP3+ with an Allo Digi board to my pre-box S2. The connection to the DAC is spdif (coax), so no USB. My issue is similar, but haven't actually killed the S2. When starting a new track with a different sample rate from the previous track, sometimes the new track will not play. For example - previous track at 44.1/16 to a new track at 192/24. The 192/24 track does not play, and the display of the S2 does not show the current track at all. What I have to do to get it working is to go back and play a 44.1/16 track, and then back to the 192/24 track which will then play. Something gets stuck, and I have no idea if it is the S2, or something upstream from that.

May 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #732 of 777
In my case, when the problem arises, it manages to be ok again for a few times after rebooting, but after some more events, it's permanent. But only with one of the clocks each time, the other will continue to play without problem.
On coaxial or optical everything is all ok, it's only on USB that I had problems.

May 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #733 of 777
Don't have any unit now with me, but I've checked on all the 3 units I've had and it was the latest, 2.12 if I recall correctly. Also MyVolumio is updated and power sources are good enough (Raspberry oficial or iFi iPower on Raspberry and Pro-Ject Accubox USB, designed for the Pre Box).
The Raspberry does not have anything else connected besides USB to Pre Box and Ethernet cables.
I've had other Raspberry Pi 3 and 4, several diferent DAC's (without MQA decoding), and the problem seams to be only with this combination.

You've got the latest firmware, and the designer of this product seems to have no further suggestions or comments (at least in public) other than updating the S2D (and any other Pro-Ject product you may have in the chain; not relevant in your case and anyway it doesn't help). I've seen a report this can be fixed this by changing the source. Sadly, in one case the source was a Pro-Ject streamer, and moving the same S2D to a PC fixed the problem. So, don't blame your RasPi. Try another DAC with that source, and use the S2D with something else instead. Or don't use it at all. I'm not using mine anymore. Sorry.

May 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #734 of 777
You've got the latest firmware, and the designer of this product seems to have no further suggestions or comments (at least in public) other than updating the S2D (and any other Pro-Ject product you may have in the chain; not relevant in your case and anyway it doesn't help). I've seen a report this can be fixed this by changing the source. Sadly, in one case the source was a Pro-Ject streamer, and moving the same S2D to a PC fixed the problem. So, don't blame your RasPi. Try another DAC with that source, and use the S2D with something else instead. Or don't use it at all. I'm not using mine anymore. Sorry.
Thank you for your reply. I've returned the last unit to the dealer, who has been very helpfull in all the process and is in contact with Pro-Ject. I really want a full decoding MQA DAC on the Raspberry, as I want a PC independent system (I do have a cheaper DAC on the PC also), so your sugestion, altough logical and helpfull will not be a solution for me.

Now... back to reading MQA DAC's reviews online... it's a pitty, as I really like the S2D sound, and with the Accubox it's very very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back