Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Impression Thread
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #151 of 777
^ ^ sorry, I was / am too lazy to do proper comparisons between the S2 and DF Red. I also doubt I could express in words the potential subtle differences I might hear. :) One of the reasons why I wanted to replace the DF Red is the volume control, which was only at 6-7% in my Win10 with Oppo PM-3. The 'rule of the thumb' is that you keep the source volume at 100% and set the volume at the latest possible stage. Now I can set it properly with the S2 and it 'feels better' this way... :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #152 of 777
The final firmware update, version 2.12, has been posted to the Pro-Ject website: http://www.box-designs.com... This update fixes the "popping" sound and the DSD right/left channel reversal, and may also help with MQA dropouts. I'm trying to find out more about that last issue.

I suggest using the Pro-Ject Windows control panel to do the update. I had trouble using their new "firmware update utility". Also their instructions need some work. I have reported these issues to the Pro-Ject support manager.

The user manual still requires corrections to the sections on power connections and on foobar2000 DSD/MQA local file playback setup. I will continue to provide my corrections to those instructions along with the new firmware update, in my Dropbox folder available via PM.
Whats wrong with the power connection in the user manual. Its correct that it can be powered with usb cable from pc? Any advice on usb cable to buy and what type? Are there any sound quality diffrences between cables? There wasent any usb cable suplied in the box, thats normal right?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #153 of 777
Whats wrong with the power connection in the user manual. Its correct that it can be powered with usb cable from pc? Any advice on usb cable to buy and what type? Are there any sound quality diffrences between cables? There wasent any usb cable suplied in the box, thats normal right?

The manual says don't use the external power adapter if you're connected via USB. This is wrong. The developer has confirmed that. You can use USB power alone, but using the adapter improves the USB sound.

There is no USB cable supplied with Pro-Ject products. That is normal.

Buy a USB 2.0 cable. Aside from that it doesn't matter much (though many here would argue it does), except you should keep it shorter than 5 meters / 16.5 feet. However Schiit offers some very nice 1-meter cables at an unusually reasonable price: http://www.schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #154 of 777
The manual says don't use the external power adapter if you're connected via USB. This is wrong. The developer has confirmed that. You can use USB power alone, but using the adapter improves the USB sound.

There is no USB cable supplied with Pro-Ject products. That is normal.

Buy a USB 2.0 cable. Aside from that it doesn't matter much (though many here would argue it does), except you should keep it shorter than 5 meters / 16.5 feet. However Schiit offers some very nice 1-meter cables at an unusually reasonable price: http://www.schiit.com/products/pyst-cables
What kind of ending does the cable need to have to fit in the project dac? I am not to familiar of the looks of the usb socket on the dac.
A to b male ?
https://www.cablestogo.com/category/usb/usb2-cables/usb2-ab-cables

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #155 of 777
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #156 of 777
Ok thanks

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #157 of 777
Good day everyone :)
Still waiting for the he-4xx on EU, was thinking of buying mimby+magni3 or the audiogd r2r11 to pair with them but today I'm thinking: I am listen music with Tidal, I could buy today the project s2 and later the magni3.... how well works the amp section? /(

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #158 of 777
Good day everyone :)
Still waiting for the he-4xx on EU, was thinking of buying mimby+magni3 or the audiogd r2r11 to pair with them but today I'm thinking: I am listen music with Tidal, I could buy today the project s2 and later the magni3.... how well works the amp section? /(

The Magni series of amps are more powerful, and to my ears offer a richer, fuller sound that you may find "warmer". You can run the Pro-Ject preamp output through the Magni 3. See the previous page of this thread for a more detailed discussion.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #160 of 777
Yeah I know, but could I pair the project with the he400i for like a month or two before I could buy the magni?

I don't see why not. Those are only 35Ω, so the Pro-Ject can easily drive them. If you decide you like the sound, then no need for the Magni ...though if you're like most of us here, you won't be able to resist trying it. :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #161 of 777
The 2.12 firmware update, released Dec 7th, fixes these problems:
* DSD channel swap
* Pop noises on sample rate changes
* MQA drop-outs

To check your firmware version, on the unit or on the remote press the Menu button, then press the down arrow twice.

There is also a new Windows driver and control panel, version 4.38.0, which automatically adjusts for DSD and includes software volume and balance controls.

PM me for the updates and instructions. (Also the corrected user manual.)

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #162 of 777
Hello and thanks for your post.
Is the S2 DSD native or only DoP.
Non native DSD is a showstopper as far as I am concerned.
Thanks
Arnaud

Update: some people have been able to make native DSD512 work on the Pre Box S2 Digital, with Roon. See this post for Linux, and this post for Windows. Awaiting a Mac report.

The Sonore lineup (microRendu, ultraRendu) may be able to support native DSD to your Pre Box soon too. See this post.

Without something like that it's DoP only, up to DSD256. On my system I can't hear a difference between native and DoP — most say there is no difference — or between 256 and 512.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #163 of 777
Okay I downloaded the new firmware. I clicked on it. It seemed to unzip,less than a second. The Prebox is still 2.10. How do I get the new firmware there? I’m using a Mac.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back