Pro-Ject 1 = Pro-Ject 1 Xpression?!
Feb 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kataklystik

100+ Head-Fier
Some time ago I posted that I want to get into vinyl.
I talked to my uncle and he said that he could give me his Pro-Ject 1. So I looked at the Pro-Ject website but I didn't find a "Pro-Ject 1". I don't know why but I thought that it is an older version of the Debut III and I thought that I'd rather get a new one because the new one is probably better.
Then I waited for a friend of mine to talk to the guy who is the boss of Pro-Ject but it turned out that this guy (my friend worked for him once) will not sell my a Pro-Ject turntable cheaper that retail price.
mad.gif

Now I read online that the Pro-Ject 1 is the old Pro-Ject Xpression, so it would be better than the Debut.
Is this true?
If it is then I just have to get a cartridge and a phono box and I'd have a great turntable.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'? If you just want to try vinyl out your uncles turntable would be a good way to start. Get a phonobox and if you later on want to upgrade or if you don't like it at all you haven't lost any more than you would have if you'd bought a new turntable. Can't loose here can you?

I'm not 100% sure but it does seem like the Pro-Ject 1 is the first incarnation of their Xpression line. I saw this at Vinylengine and the manual for Pro-Ject 1 links to Pro-Ject 1 Xpression.

Pro-ject 1 | Manual Free Download, Turntable owners,service,schematics,brochure | Vinyl Engine

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 8
You're right, I just need to get a cartridge and a phonobox for the TT but I think I'm going to ask my uncle for advice since he knows the turntable (however if anyone wants to recommend a cartridge feel free to do so).
I'm going to call my uncle tomorrow, I hope that he hasn't changed his mind
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 8
I recently bought the 1 Xpression III and it had the AT95E on it and I haven't bothered with an upgrade, yet... my dealer recommended the grado gold. Don't know if it's the best bet though, but it's a grado
smily_headphones1.gif
And strangely enough Grado cartridges doesn't seem to be as overpriced over here as the phones are.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however if anyone wants to recommend a cartridge feel free to do so

Hi,

I really wouldn't spend much money on a cartridge for that turntable. To be perfectly frank it isn't really a great turntable in the scheme of things and at best a good cartridge won't really improve things much. It might even likely make things a whole lot worse because the turntable (and particularly the tonearm) simply isn't well enough engineered to support a good cartridge. It might help as far as frequency response and tonality is concerned, but it won't do anything at all for the more pressing and fundamental problems inherent in basic turntables (relatively poor tracking capabilities, speed stability, noise, etc).

The Project range doesn't really get into it's stride until you get into the carbon fibre 9 series of tonearms - really, the current Xpression II / III are to be considered entry level turntables - not the old Project I or the current Debut III models (I unfortunately learned the hard way - I have just sold my Debut III). I wouldn't even think of using a turntable below RPM5 standard for any sort of serious listening.

Anyway, I would recommend a cartridge that is very forgiving and incapable of extracting the subtleties out of the grooves - ironic as that might sound. Even so it will still sound better than most CD players on the majority of recordings - at least in the outer and middle grooves anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Project and Rega don't fit the most basic Ortofon cartirdges to their low-end products just because they are cheap. They also do it because they are compatible and won't cause the tonearm to work beyond it's capabilities nor expose all the other weaknesses in the turntables themselves. So I would say Ortofon OM5E, Ortofon OM10, or maybe a Goldring Elecktra at the "high" end. but I think an OM10 would be the economic / performance sweet spot.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 8
If you are not sensitive to tracking distortion then the lower end Projects are OK for casual or non audiophile use. But as I mentioned before, the tonearms in the early and low end models are not very good and are particularly hopeless on classical audiophile recordings. Just because users don't notice the shortcomings does not mean they are not there. After I got my Debut III everything seemed fine, but as my critical listening abilities improved the distortion got worse and worse and worse...even though it was always the same from the moment when I got it. After the honeymoon was over I realise I should have gotten a much better turntable right from the start.

Now I know why members here much more experienced than I am in vinyl don't even begin to recommend anything below solid middle ground level or better.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some time ago I posted that I want to get into vinyl.
I talked to my uncle and he said that he could give me his Pro-Ject 1. So I looked at the Pro-Ject website but I didn't find a "Pro-Ject 1". I don't know why but I thought that it is an older version of the Debut III and I thought that I'd rather get a new one because the new one is probably better.
Then I waited for a friend of mine to talk to the guy who is the boss of Pro-Ject but it turned out that this guy (my friend worked for him once) will not sell my a Pro-Ject turntable cheaper that retail price.
mad.gif

Now I read online that the Pro-Ject 1 is the old Pro-Ject Xpression, so it would be better than the Debut.
Is this true?
If it is then I just have to get a cartridge and a phono box and I'd have a great turntable.

I would jump on the chance to get it if I were you ! I mean is it free and all correct ?

Pro-ject make great gear ! I have listened to a few of the TT's they make and was very impressed with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back