Pro 900 to a lcd2 rev2
Jun 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

van41

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Posts
138
Likes
11
Hello i am strongly considering a lcd 2 rev 2 as i have heard alot of good things about it. I currently own a pro 900 and just wanted a more refined headphone. Do not get me wrong, i love my pro 900 for the bass but i find the mids to recessed which is not to great for my vocal trance collection. My music prefrence is mainly edm so bass performance is critical. I just want to know if the lcd 2 will do authority for my edm music and if its worth it for me to upgrade? Will i miss my pro 900 if i do?

I also have a burson ha160d.. Pairs well with the pro 900 and should be sufficient enough to pair a lcd2.

Thanks, looking forward to your reply.
 
Jun 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 22

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,901
Likes
4,125
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Hello i am strongly considering a lcd 2 rev 2 as i have heard alot of good things about it. I currently own a pro 900 and just wanted a more refined headphone. Do not get me wrong, i love my pro 900 for the bass but i find the mids to recessed which is not to great for my vocal trance collection. My music prefrence is mainly edm so bass performance is critical. I just want to know if the lcd 2 will do authority for my edm music and if its worth it for me to upgrade? Will i miss my pro 900 if i do?
I also have a burson ha160d.. Pairs well with the pro 900 and should be sufficient enough to pair a lcd2.
Thanks, looking forward to your reply.

What's to consider? The Pro900s measure horribly and sound as bad (to my ears anyway) and the LCD-2s trounce them every which way. The HA160D should be more than up to the task for them too. Fingers crossed that you do the right thing. 
wink.gif
 
smile.gif

 
Jun 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 22

van41

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Posts
138
Likes
11
I think the Pro 900 sounds pretty good with EDM music as its mainly emphasises on the bass. I am curious what the bass will sound like with the LCD2 rev2. I have read that the LCD2 has good bass extension but lacking in impact. Impact is important to me as I want to feel the bass.. I know you probably have more experience in these headphones, can you tell me how the bass will sound like with these headphones. Maybe I should just keep both..?

I live in Sydney so I cannot audition these headphones.. unfortunately.
 
 
Jul 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 22

van41

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Posts
138
Likes
11
bump
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 22

zenpunk

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 11, 2009
Posts
1,945
Likes
98
If you've be mainly listening to the Pro 900 I can guarantee you will be very dissapointed by the bass of LCD2 and the treble will be even worse. I was planning a similar move a year ago but was lucky to be able to hear the LCD2 before buying. As you can guess I didn't buy it. As I sold the Pro 900 a while ago my experience would  likely be different if I was trying the Audeze again, but the LCD2 is far from a being a basshead can ( well, great quality and bottomless but quite weak if coming from Pro 900 or DX1000)
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 22

hekeli

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Posts
852
Likes
117
Location
Finland
Depends on your EDM if the bass extension if of any use. 
wink.gif
But yes LCD-2 isn't a bass monster impact wise. Unless we are talking about some sweet 20hz tones where it can move air like non other... but for hard mid-bass impact I'd look for something else.
 
Of course tastes can evolve and you might learn to like and appreciate something more balanced.
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 22

juustinb

Now known as jbar1989.
Joined
Jul 9, 2012
Posts
11
Likes
11
Was considering this exact move as I have the 900s now.  Now I have might have to reconsider... again.  What high end headphone would at least come close to matching the 900's bass performance?
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 22

nigeljames

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Posts
1,824
Likes
55
graphCompare.php

 
The LCD's have far better bass than the 900's. from this grapth you can clearly see that the LCD's bass is far more accurate  and no roll off down to 10hz unlike the pro900's. The pro900's have a boosted bass which you might miss with other phones but its far from being quality bass. The LCD's also have plenty of bass impact if used with the right amp although I have not heard the the pro900's so can't compare in that department.
If you want a bassy high end phone then on cost alone the only other phone on your list should be the Denon D7000.
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 22

reckca

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Posts
80
Likes
11
Quote:
What's to consider? The Pro900s measure horribly and sound as bad (to my ears anyway) and the LCD-2s trounce them every which way. The HA160D should be more than up to the task for them too. Fingers crossed that you do the right thing. 
wink.gif
 
smile.gif

If he likes (like me) pro 900, your intervention is to say not to buy because audeze audio characteristics are different.
I confirm that in my opinion the pro 900 is one of the best headphones to enjoy electronic music.
Ok for Denon
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 22

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,901
Likes
4,125
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
graphCompare.php

 
The LCD's have far better bass than the 900's. from this grapth you can clearly see that the LCD's bass is far more accurate  and no roll off down to 10hz unlike the pro900's. The pro900's have a boosted bass which you might miss with other phones but its far from being quality bass. The LCD's also have plenty of bass impact if used with the right amp although I have not heard the the pro900's so can't compare in that department.
If you want a bassy high end phone then on cost alone the only other phone on your list should be the Denon D7000.

Exactly, and it doesn't end there, the 50Hz square wave plots show (along with the FR graphs) that the bass one is hearing from the LCD-2s is MUCH closer to the recording than the Ultrasones:
 
graphCompare.php

 
The Ultrasone 900s are bassey headphones, but not even in close to the same league as the LCD-2s from a technical standpoint based on objective measurements. That said, others may "prefer" the 900s based on personal priorities.
 
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 22

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,901
Likes
4,125
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
30hz square wave for uber low bass goodness.
 

I was too lazy to copy the innerfidelity graphs, resize them and put them side by side. Thanks for that. 
 
And yet again, the LCD-2s have better bass measurements at 30Hz. 
biggrin.gif

 
Jul 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 22

blur510

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 17, 2010
Posts
447
Likes
18
I have an LCD2 rev 2 and i just got the pro 900 and I can't stand the pro 900. highs are shrill, and the low end isn't as cohesive. I do use it tho when I listen to dub. but only for like 10 songs then my ears get tired and I get a head ache haha...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top