PRIMACY from Oriveti. A hybrid
Apr 21, 2016 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pinoyman

1000+ Head-Fier

People.

its been awhile since i made my last review. 
Its very rare for me now to write something new about the company’s product… 
not unless it caught my attention, or possibly it is not impressive enough to waste my time to do some writings about it.

however, this company is the former.
The company is ORIVETI.
the iem’s name is PRIMACY. 

INTRODUCTION
why is it named PRIMACY?

ORIVETI: because it meant THE FIRST.  And we don't just use some  letter and then some number.  Hope easy for customer to remember and tell.

Some little background about the company. 
“Founded in 2015, we started from a position of strength with years of engineering and design experience within the earphone/headphone industry. 
At ORIVETI we have built an enviable team of Award-winning designers and engineers, some of whom previously worked with best known brands like UE, Harman, Sennheiser and Vivo. Our manufacturing partners also provide high quality materials to other superior earphone brands such as UE, Westone and JBL.
We will assign one distribution partner in each economic area, supporting them to succeed in their local market by aiding with events such as CanJam and magazine/media reviewing. ORIVETI sells directly to China with no intermediary distributor.”

From statement, we can see that many companies are getting attention now from audiophile communities and providing their needs to the highest quality as possible.  Meeting our needs.  Many companies are popping out of nowhere now, and somehow Oriveti is one of them. They may be new on the market perhaps, but undeniably they did their homework knowing what will be the needs of people like us - music enthusiasts.

We, in this community, began with the ipod. Apple revolutionized the way we listen to portable music in industry. From Cassette tapes, to walkmans, to diskmans, to digital formats of mp3, to flacs and now to hirez.  It took years before some brands like FIIO, IBASSO, WESTONES, ULTIMATE EARS and others began making moves on improving the industry for the community. As we continue to grow, many companies such as the Oriveti here began arriving at the scene to help improve more the experiences of musicians and audiophiles alike.

Let’s get to know them better thru their iem - the PRIMACY.

My Source:
IMAC - MOJO - Oriveti Primacy

My IEM collections:
DITA Answer
DITA Answer Truth Edition
JVC FX-850
JVC FX-700
Ortofon EQ7
Final Audio PFX-CC
Final Audio FIBASS
Final Audio Heaven 7
Final Audio Heaven 6
Earsonic SM3
Sennheiser Mx980 and Mx985
Panasonic Hje900
Ultimate Ears 700
Baldoor m100

they will serve as measurements on standard.
Background gears pls check it here: [u]http://www.head-fi.org/u/153086/pinoyman[/u]

Tracks used in itunes:
1.  mp3 320kbps - Have I Told You Lately by Rod Stewart
from album Unplugged…and Seated 
2.  mp3 320kbps - I’ll be Over You, Rosanna, Africa by Toto
from album 35th Anniversary Tour: Live in Poland
3. mp3 320 kbps - Only When I Sleep - The Corrs
MTV Unplugged

​

BOX:​
the box is very similar to my DITA truth and answer edition. I dont know if they copied it from them, but at least we can see how far they can go as a new competitor to show their worth.
the box is big, its full of accessories, and its neatly done.

the iem shells are made of aluminum. its solid and hard. I daresay its a wise choice. CNC machined aluminum. meaning…this will be lasting. Now, Earsonics and Shures, listen… we need this as a chosen material. I have read many bad reports about broken shells of your precious iems. Hear me, companies, we paid so much on your iems because we consider this as an investment. If Oriveti can, then why cant you? youre the bigger companies here remember? :wink:

the cable is on the thin side. I cant say its good, but it doesnt tangle. Its braided perfectly by machine. 
the Y-splitter on the cable is cheap.theres a small white plastic on it.
the chosen plug is thin too but its fine. Im not bothered by it. just plainly small and thin.

the included case is one of the finest cases i have received in any iems on my collections. 
I mean it. Its the FINEST.
Let’s talk more about it…
Its made of round aluminum black thin can, lined in black velvets. 
the sides though is purely metal.  which makes me worried it might scracth the nice looking phones inside. i ask oriveti if they lined it too with the velvets. Now i wish all companies will learn from Oriveti. On how they did ship the iems with this luxurious case. Hands down, this is the best ive seen. When you open the can, lid going up, theres a  nice feeling on it…
Believe me, theres a Zen to it. Twisting it up in slow motion you will notice how smooth it is glide out of its body. you will see how it was excellently cut by machine, how it was perfectly measured to match the lid and the body of the case. onced opened, you will feel its a home for your precious iem. Wishing you have an extra of this case for your other iems.

Aesthetics and Design:
Black. They chose everything painted in black. all are in black. their logo and markings in is white.
the outcome? B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.
it screams simplicity. elegance. and luxury of chosen materials. (maybe not too much impressed on the cable part) but everything else falls into this praises. I praised them highly because thats what makes you feel. 

the touch on the phones/shell of the iem is smooth. its delicately textured. when you touch the shells, your fingers will smoothly glide on it.
SOUND: 
the most important part. yah?
well, i wont be doing it in TREBLE, MIDS, BASS sections. but ill speak on it on general terms on how it sounds on my chosen music for review. then compare it to my other iems to measure their differences and performance. got it? here we go…

As you can see, i chose most LIVE music for my review. because sounds here arent edited. you can hear people scream and shout till their lungs bursts. in live music, you will hear the natural voice of the singer, without editing. you will feel distance and space, on how big was the stage and  the placements of instruments can be conveyed better. i believe this is a perfect way of measuring it, or maybe i wanted it to be different this time.

I only have the Primacy (closed iem) and JVC Fx850 (open iem) for comparison at the moment.
i only intend to share with you on how do they perform on each track. sorry, i dont have the other iems on me anymore for more comparison, but i think thru the JVC, we can already tell how the Primacy performs. Since the Mojo have two headphone out, it would be easier for me to A-B comparison the two iem.

Have I Told You Lately by Rod Stewart
the intro of rod here seems a bit off on the Primacy, but when the instruments started their entrance to the song, it became more serious… the background vocals of the singers can be heard back, rod’s vocals is dry and textured well, very nice. some instrument’s sound are comming from the back, then theres some throw in far left and right…. i say its a very good panning for a stereo. everything sounds natural. claps are a little soft.  in FX850, the sound is more bigger, more 3d. a bit more extreme on treble and bass. but mids plays safely too. sound of instruments and vocals have more precision on them and accuracy, more extended and energetic. music seems more alive. there are times, treble borders a bit on the piercing tone. still a pleasant to listen, but not good much because its not fatigue free. the warmth of the Primacy is better. compared to fx850, everything here is more front and front, i loss details coming from the back of my head and those panning i mentioned earlier. its not present here. Bigger sound, all fronts. mostly little on backgound sound.

I’ll Be Over You, Rosanna and Africa by Toto
In Primacy, you will be greeted by loud claps, and shouts of people… drums kick hard and nice. vocals and instruments have spaces on them. some bass can be heard covering the entire field. maybe its included in the song, but the panning again is very impressive, some instruments popping left, right, behind, front and its so immediate youll be surprised. vocals isnt hidden behind the back, but not too forward or too front. Everything is sounds fuller, youll be busy where to put your focus on the song, its in a positive way. The details is oozing everywhere, it can handle everything thats there in the music. the electric guitar doesnt sound so clear though, because the song is too busy, splash here, drums there… everything is so immersive. that’s the right term here. its so immersive. and it came to the extreme treble, its splashy but nice, its never piercing as the JVC. The Album, 35th Anniversary Tour, is so amazing, where Toto choses to make a fast intro always, its like they plan on surprising people on immediate instruments. youll be scared at first. when bass slams along with other instruments, add the vocals, and shouts of people around, the Primacy handles them all with ease. The more the song is busy (meaning everything is full of instruments here and there), the bigger the soundstage became, the fuller the sound becomes, you convey more on how the sound is extended far from your ears. I do like the presentation of trebles on the primacy, its controlled. The sound is general is still in warm, even when its in Live performances such as this album. Theres this warm signature that lingers on the air. loud booms, pianos and guitars when given their time to shine on the tracks, have specialty on them… they sounded nice on the Primacy. hands down… the Primacy is a special iem. The details are just so amazing. In the end of the track Rosanna, the crowd shouts so loud… and you can feel the emotion. wow! Unbelievable. 
In Fx850, that intro, same as the Primacy, is scary here too. the difference is the bass. youll notice it as more flabby, supple and so soft. Vocals is little bit on the back. maybe its because this is an opens sounding iem. The dynamics here is on the fun side. Everything is a bit clearer on the Primacy. Rolling bass here is more defined and carries weight. which makes your head bump. Theres an incredible excitement in the Fx850’s tuning. And i like it. Still, all the extremes here are present too. maybe its already a signature of the JVC FX’s line. pianos sound natural. bass has more definition. shouts and claps from the crowd is nice. the sound is big. you can hear people far from the stage shouting.
In Africa, theres a more mellower and sweeter entrance… i missed the FX850’s weight in bass. I lost the extremes i longed for… Vocals seems subdued at first… when 3-5 vocals appear on the tract, they are all defined, and not mixed as one. Theres a warmth mids lingering on the air. Its analog-like, sounding everything to be natural. Bass hits fast, and controlled too. Its satisfying after awhile. It seems i forgot the flabby and big bass on the fx850 already. The sound is thrown at far left, far right, upper left, upper right, very upfront as almost in your face vocals, then theres back instruments and in front very little claps are clearly heard from the crowd. the soundstage is undeniably impressive.  Toto knows how to create real music. Vocals and Instruments are given their time to shine… im speechless on this album. 
Back to JVC, drum rolls and im nodding… the extremity of treble and bass is back, plus that big soundstage. vocals is in middle but a little moved in the back. bass slams a bit hard now. seems too much extremes can really be tiring… but fun of course. more splashes everywhere, vocals of 4-5 person again… it cant define as much as the Primacy does. The Jvc is very neutral and detailed, when in busy tracks, the one i told you in the Primacy that conveys far left, far right etc… here, everything is muddled in left and right. Its there, its present but not well defined. it may sound bigger in general, but it spaces is a little bit poor. its like they are performing in a mid sized space, compared to the bigger space from Primacy. The JVC seems limited on spaces. 

Only When I Sleep by The Corrs
Now, lets put it vise versa, ill try to use the JVC first.
Introduction, then claps… those claps are popping in the soundstage everywhere, its really scary. its like you are there. The bass hits hard, the vocals of the singer is nice. Those extremes are a little bit off for me, trebles seems to be bright and spashy. somehow fatiguing,  Andrea’s voice isnt too sweet and convincing… the orchestra on the back brings melody to the music. No doubt, theres a special focus always on the drums and bass, which the JVC is powerful and shows where its good at. some trebles are too much for my ears. These trebles are a little bothersome on Hi hats and Cymbals. On the Primacy, the sound is more relaxed. soundstage is better, larger and far extended. the bass is polite, and satisfying, vocals on Andrea is more present, more intimate and more focused. Instruments stay behind her. I feel this is more rightly done. Hi hats and cymbals doesnt seem to be too much brittle and piercing. spashy but good. controlled. You can hear more defined instruments clearly, you can recognize the guitars from the violin, and the background supporting vocal choir, which i didnt noticed much on the JVC. Theres popping guitar strumms from left, which is kinda sweet. The orchestra on the back can be heard clearly but polite. It doesnt show so much attention, because in reality its there hidden as support only. 

CONCLUSION

There may have been differences on both iem. One is open and the other one is closed. One is wood made and the other one is CNC machined aluminum. Currently both iem are priced almost the same - 250-300usd. I really enjoyed both. However, i find the JVC Fx850s to be too extreme, to be too much on some tracks, but definitely fun sounding. I find both sound natural, they have their own PROS and CONS, but both performs very well on their own. The Primacy maybe new in the market, on the game, but they showed me that they did their studies well….they scored high on my standard. I am intrigued by this iem because another reviewer told me this is a NATURAL sounding iem. And i can’t argue with that. It is true. These Primacy may not be as warm and sweet (or too much) like the earsonics and fad’s tuning, but they are on that league. Just not much. This Primacy iem is lush and warm, a mid focused iem with great soundstage and amazing clarity and details. The bass and the trebles may be controlled but in general, it performs nicely. Its safe to say that the Primacy is a fatigue free iem. 

Now, why would i buy one?
One reason is an iem is an investment. we consider it an investment because we value them highly, we saved and spend money for it. and in return, we look forward for what we can benefit from it. In the long run, i can say the build quality is impressive. Not most popular brands such as earsonics, shures, westones among others, chooses aluminum as their build. Look at the expensive Noble K10u? Look at the FADs… they last longer, and more durable. they dont break and they survive regular use, wear and tear. The Primacy case alone is so gorgeous and its the best iem case i ever received in an iem, hands down. Looking back above my review, you will see how much i praise this aluminum velvet line case. The sound quality alone is already a winner in the Primacy. And i do hope… Oriveti can managed to create more better products with better choices of materials. I hope someday they can join the DAP crowd, and be one of the finest dap out there. Primacy is one of the best iems i purchased with no regret at all. 

Thank you very much for reading…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back