Pricing thread(s).
Feb 24, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Whether or not a buyer edits the price, doesn't bother me one bit. To me, it's like going to buy a used car. There's a tag on the windshield saying $xxxx. After you buy it, you take it down. There's still other cars of the same make around with tags on.

As you eliminate some types of arguments, you will also create new ones.

That's lame! I'm talking about doing research on whether it's even feasible to be considering a piece of gear but not being able to find any previous sales with prices listed to even get a ballpark figure of what they typically go for used.

As an example I'm looking into different DAC's and just yesterday started considering an Apogee Mini-DAC, there was one listed and withdrawn in the for sale forum so I PM'd him with some questions. The owner was kind enough to answer them and even told me what he had been asking although his asking price seemed rather high. I wondered if that was the typical going rate because if it was then I figured I would be better off looking at a new Lavry instead so I went searching for old FS ads but I couldn't find any previous sales that still listed the asking price so I'm still clueless as to whether I should even be bothering to consider the Apogee.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #17 of 26
Sounds like a very good idea. People don't have to participate if they don't want to, just as people edit out their selling prices, but those who aim at market transparency can get it this way.

Compared to simply looking up old FS thread, it would also pose an additional incentive for creating transparency if such procedures became institutionalised in the form of a thread.

And I doubt the influence on the actual sale prices would be significant since market fluctuations would be included in that thread. The only difference is that people won't get rid off and sellers will benefit by not selling under market price.

For one this is simple market economics and from the moral and community perspective, I think that it would be fairer if a person, be it seller or buyer, will not be at a disadvantage due to lack of information. I think this is higher moral ground than a buyer getting a really lucky and -- from the seller's perspective -- unintended deal or a buyer being simply ripped of.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 26
I'm not against the idea of a "selling/buying" price thread and I'd probably post prices in there, but I don't see it doing much other than making more of those annoying low ball offers.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
That's lame!

It is afterall one man's opinion. Last i checked this is a discussion thread isn't it? Not a flame thread.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
It is afterall one man's opinion. Last i checked this is a discussion thread isn't it? Not a flame thread.
rolleyes.gif

Someone needs a thicker skin if they think that was a flame.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Granted, it's been a long time since I took Advanced Microeconomics in college, but I am not aware of any market theory in which withholding price information benefits an efficient marketplace. Availability of information is one of the fundamental assumptions underlying basic microeconomic theory.

I don't think I ever claimed that at all. More of what I was trying to say is that I don't think a thread like this will contribute to a more efficient process.

Quote:

I don't think that we need a separate thread for pricing, but I would support the elimination of the practice of removing prices from "for sale" threads once the item is sold.

I for one don't edit out any prices in my for sale threads because I don't care if anyone sees what I asking for a particular time. And the price in the thread might not even reflect the final selling price anyway. Oftentimes a final price is negotiated through PM and that information is between myself and the other party involved.

And I'm just offering my opinion - doesn't matter to me if people decide to try and maintain a list of prices of gear.

Nate

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 26
I like the idea. Market transparency is a good thing for consumers and will even give sellers an idea of what they can get for their used gear.
I'd gladly participate and hope we can get this ball rolling.

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I don't think I ever claimed that at all. More of what I was trying to say is that I don't think a thread like this will contribute to a more efficient process.

That depends on what you mean by a "more efficient process". Having a single thread of prices won't really help much since you'll still have to search the thread for the prices instead of searching the sold forum, but at least you won't have to weed through sales where the price has been edited, so it will be at least marginally more efficient. Of course, the most efficient means to achieve market transparency (which, as has most rightly been pointed out, only improves the function of the market) would just be to not edit sale prices.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #26 of 26
Another problem with getting the price an item was sold for is that most of the for sale posts these days are auctions, err interest checks which don't have any posted prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back