Price no object gaming headphones
May 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 48
Ultrasone PRO 900. Pair them with the right amp amazing soundstaging. DT 770, A900 is not in the same league if money is no subject. K701 is the one that comes closest non Ultrasone but it´s not totally accurate but big though
smily_headphones1.gif
. How is the K601 it´s closed right?

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... How is the K601 it´s closed right?

Open - and great for gaming in my opinion. Very detailed and large and precise soundstage. I haven't heard the K701, but from what I've been able to gather they share many of the same qualities - except that the K701 is more detailed, even larger sound stage and the bass goes a bit deeper. The K601 on the other hand supposedly has a slightly warmer sound (I definitely find particularly the midrange extremely smooth and pleasant, and it's not harsh at the top - well, on occasion if I compare them directly to the HD650).

At the moment I'm using my new HD650 for gaming though. I suspect their laidback and darker sound signature might not be the best option for competetive gaming where accurate positioning and early sound clues are important, but I definitely enjoy the extra weight and punch in the bass region.

May 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #18 of 48
If price really is no issue, you could try to hunt down an L3000.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been playing games on mine, like Dead Space for example.
It's pretty scary how realistic some ambient sounds can be, and sometimes it sounds like it's coming from my room itself.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #19 of 48
DX1000.
Seriously, the soundstage and detail are awesome. The bass makes it great for FPS.

I admit that when I have had a bad day, I jump into a couple 20 minute freeze tag rifle games in MOHAA Breakthrough which is about one short game a week or less. It is an oldie, but goodie. I usually use my IEM's now, but it used to be my CD1000's because of the soundstage and detail. It brings the realism in and lets you hear every footstep. You never get bashed with those on.

May 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 48
Stax 4070...
wink.gif

Really nice sounding pair of headphones, and since they are closed-back they also isolate quite well.

May 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 48
Sennheiser HD800.

you said price no object..... i doubt anything else will compare. you just have to wait two more years to purchase. :wink:

May 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DX1000.
Seriously, the soundstage and detail are awesome. The bass makes it great for FPS.

I admit that when I have had a bad day, I jump into a couple 20 minute freeze tag rifle games in MOHAA Breakthrough which is about one short game a week or less. It is an oldie, but goodie. I usually use my IEM's now, but it used to be my CD1000's because of the soundstage and detail. It brings the realism in and lets you hear every footstep. You never get bashed with those on.

I have the DX 1000 but it hasn´t really compared well for me with movies using dolby headphone. Admittedly haven´t gamed with them much except for some Gears of Wars 2 but I would expect pretty much the same deal from my previous experiences. Headphones that works for movies works with games too.

Soundstage was one bit I hoped for more on DX 1000 definiatly quite a bit behind the PRO 900, K701 for me. You do get a wide soundstage and such but it´s just not that accurate so it doesn´t come across as that natural. When you can hear the sound bounce around inside the wood it kind of kills the immersion as well. I have a harder time pinpoint that telephone ringing, dorr knocking etc before they pan the camera toward it. K701 is better but the PRO 900 is really quite spectacular with it´s scary precision. I get way more out of head moments then with the K701 so the driver displacement really seem to work for me
smily_headphones1.gif

K701 can throw a bigger soundstage though but often when sound is supposed to be close it´s distant too so it doesn´t always give a natural soundstage. I don´t like what it´s doing to voices in movies as well. I like it´s soundstaging better for music it can really bring a live concert to life with the audience waay behind you and the band quite a bit in front
smily_headphones1.gif
However it can often sound a bit thin so it may be hard if you are used to speakers with subs or headphones with more bass to feel you aren´t missing anything.

As for bass
I have an LFE and it works like this...

K701 knob volume up on the LFE to get it more balanced
PRO 900 knob volume down on the LFE. Balanced before but you still want the tactile feedback
DX 1000 Knob volume off. More bass just makes it even more unbalanced with it´s rolled off treble and it´s so powerful sounding there is less need for the LFE anyway.

May 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #25 of 48
Which kind of gaming are we talking about, I'm only doing racesims, and when working hard with the steering wheel I'll start to sweat especially in longer enduro type races, and for that reason I'm using some cheap earbuds ATM, htey are not as hot as full size cans and there's no need to ruin more expensive cans by getting them soaked.

May 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 48
For competitive gaming I'd lean more towards stats or studio reference headphones like the 7509/48/CD900... Little to no bass emphis, a more neutral FR.. Although, sound stage seems to be R/L heavy.. Not a lot of depth verticaly. The K1000 have a neutral timbre, so I been told. Don't remember. And are basically speakers. Great resolve, detail, sound stage.

May 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 48
The Stax Sr-Lambdas are crazy good for gaming. I imagine, the modded Sigma/404s would be the deal though. They have a speaker like presentation. I have yet to be able to buy those so just a guess.

I am using Alo 780s and they are the best dynamic headphones I have ever had. Nothing really gets missed in the detail and they can reach all the way down low for kick. Nothing muffled about them though. The midrange is not overwhelmed by the bass and I hear people across the map on cod2. Those are sometimes big maps. In fact, it gets me confused sometimes b/c I just can't believe what I just heard. Anyway, Ultrasone makes a damn good gaming/movie headphone. Maybe that new psyco is tops for gaming headphones. I don't know. 5.1 headphones have never worked well in the past.

The Senn 800 sure would be nice to try though. Big as that sucker is...I can imagine the resolution of them. Pretty amazing sounding I will bet.

May 10, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stax Sr-Lambdas are crazy good for gaming. I imagine, the modded Sigma/404s would be the deal though. They have a speaker like presentation. I have yet to be able to buy those so just a guess.

I am using Alo 780s and they are the best dynamic headphones I have ever had. Nothing really gets missed in the detail and they can reach all the way down low for kick. Nothing muffled about them though. The midrange is not overwhelmed by the bass and I hear people across the map on cod2. Those are sometimes big maps. In fact, it gets me confused sometimes b/c I just can't believe what I just heard. Anyway, Ultrasone makes a damn good gaming/movie headphone. Maybe that new psyco is tops for gaming headphones. I don't know. 5.1 headphones have never worked well in the past.

The Senn 800 sure would be nice to try though. Big as that sucker is...I can imagine the resolution of them. Pretty amazing sounding I will bet.

Wait? Better then the K1000? Your descriptions remind me of the 48's to some extent. But are flat and neutral to a fault. Not sure how flat/neutral the 780 are.

May 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax SR-Lambda that I had was remarkable but it's an open design.

The W5000 is no slouch either for gaming purposes due to its soundstage and imaging capability as I much preferred it over the D2000.

lol @ W5000 for gaming..doesnt it seem like an overkill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back