prevent hijacknig of home internet connection?
Mar 11, 2006 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
the last few days my internet been going really crappy. usualy testing with testmy.net i get 700kb+ of download (6mbps), and 46kbs of download. but now its going like 2mbps and cant upload for crap. when i log into game server my ping is crap. i reset the cable modem, try plugin it in with router and without router, doesnt make a different. this is a not a wireless router btw.

i will call up the isp provider later (roadrunner (aka rip off runner), which i usualy have to wait 30minutes to someone to come to the phone.

but i know there is something where someone outside tap into my connection and use it. is there a software i can use that detect this and prevent them? i know its more likely not the case, but i like to know anyway, it will be a useful precaution. any other recommend welcome.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 14
afaik, someone would have to physically tap into your connection somewhere to leech bandwidth. also, cable is a shared bandwidth so if someone in your neighborhood has huge amounts of data transferring that might explain it. although i thought there was a throttle of some kind to prevent what is happenning to you.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 14
There is, in fact, software you can get. It won't tell you who's leeching, but it won't let them leech. It's some sort of advanced firewal program. Proffesional. I forget the name of it, but I can get back to you with it on Monday if you want.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mahoy
There is, in fact, software you can get. It won't tell you who's leeching, but it won't let them leech. It's some sort of advanced firewal program. Proffesional. I forget the name of it, but I can get back to you with it on Monday if you want.

you mean zonealarm?

If you go into the command prompt and type "netstat -a" it should display all connections. Do it when you start up and not running any programs, it should tell you if you have any unwanted connections.

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 14
What router are we talking about? It may have logs/status information that will be useful.

Overall, though, I'm with redshifter. The complexity of physically tapping into your network makes it unlikely that someone is hijacking your link... especially since the problem remained when you direct connected the modem to your computer.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Yeah, my friend picks up multiple connections at his apartment, which he uses. Heh. Free internet. Good speeds but drops every now and again. We was paying for it, but they didn't keep up with the billing so it was cut so now he steals. Oh the wonders of WiFi.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 14
unless its a wireless router someone would need physical access to your router to steal bandwith. I would advise you to go into your routers control panel and look for a list of connections, it should give you the IP of every computer connected to it.

to connect to your router you may have special software, if you dont try going into internet explorer and typing 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.0 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 and see if any of those bring up your routers control panel

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 14
I'm pretty much broadcasting my connection with 20dbi antennas on both ends totally for the taking
eek.gif
.My neighbor has his locked down but i guess i have been really lazy.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 14
hmm you could be capped, or like other people said your neighbours are heavily downloading/uploading...

its extremely difficult for someone to physically tap into your connection, but it could be possible although unlikely since you have a router, that someone has opened backdoor into your computer and using your connection there or setup some sort of server... in any case you should run the usual diagnostics such antivirus and firewalls...it maybe useful to say what type or router you have...

but i suspect you're probably capped or its the local area sucking up all your speed, maybe even a problem on the ISP's part but i doubt thats happening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back