Pretty surprising $50 amp.
Dec 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hicks

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a good, no frills amp lately to use with my Denon D2000s. I had been using a CMOY happily for a while, but it does tend to start clipping at higher volumes. I noticed this especially on tracks that had a great dynamic range (opera, choral, jazz.) This was a problem for both my CMOY and straight out from my Macbook's headphone out. My AV receiver didn't clip though (Yamaha HTR-5890) and, strangely, neither did my ipod touch 2g. Though the ipod's volume was maxed out and still not quite as loud as the others.

I did a bunch of research and had decided to get a Presonus HP4. Unfortunately my local Guitar Center did not have any, but they had this little gem.

4189201080_de0c89affc_o.jpg

ha04 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Live Wire Solutions ha04.

* Input Impedance: 100K Ohms unbalanced
* Max Input Level: +14 dBV Input
* Inputs: (1) Stereo 1/4 in. TRS phone
* Outputs: (4) 1/4 in. Stereo 1/4 in.
* Output Impedance: 51 Ohms each output
* Max Gain: 20 dB/Channel
* S/N Ratio: >90 dB
* THD: <.008 IMD (SMPTE) <.008
* Power: 12V DC adapter
* Weight: 1 lb (.45 kg)
* Size: 3 x 4 x 1.25 in. (8 x 10 x 3.2cm)

I had never heard of it, but I figured for $50 I may as well try it. Color me impressed. It sounded very good, clear, no hum or distortion. Best of all, it handled whatever I threw at it without clipping, at volumes no sane man would listen to.

I decided to take a look under the hood and found that the circuit board said Rolls HA604. I could not find HA604 at all on the Rolls site. I did notice that the opamps were JRC 4556ad.

All in all I am quite happy with it. Definitely a step up from the CMOY. I will probably get around to ABing it against my receiver, but I doubt it will be much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back