Pretty in Black - Thorens TCD 2000
Mar 24, 2006 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

agile_one

忍者
I gotta admit, I bought this on looks alone. I am a sucker for clean, simple, semi-retro design. Have a look:

TCD2000_Perspective.jpg

Power top - yeah, baby ...
TCD2000_OpenII.jpg

Check the Headphone jack and volume control 'round back
TCD2000_Back.jpg

TCD2000_Puck_Remote.jpg

It plays great, and sounds terrific from both analog and digital outs. Headamp is not up to par, but will do in a pinch - drives both HF-1's and HD650's ok.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Does look sensational. What are its specs? CD only? HDCD? DAC chip? etc
Oh and whats the approximate retail?

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 19
The Thorens TCD 2000 is no longer in production - it was made from about 1996 - 2000. Mine came with no manual, and I find precious little information on the web. From what I have learned so far, it uses a Philips transport, might upsample to 24 bits, 96 kHz, but that is not certain.

No idea yet of dac chips, etc. I'll just have to tear into it and have a look one of these days.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 19
a_o: That was a nice series (the pre- and power-amps were quite nice, too) and fairly priceworthy to get, when it was on sale-out a couple of years ago. How much did you pay for the player?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Sucker, indeed. That is cool looking. Even knowing it's a CDP, I still glanced for a tonearm!
wink.gif
Can't wait for further impressions on it.

Congratulations!

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Sweet! Even if it didn't sound that hot, the digital out makes it a definite keeper.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Sweet! Even if it didn't sound that hot, the digital out makes it a definite keeper.

My thoughts, exactly. With the small, 1/2 wide footprint, it can serve as a transport to a nice dac like the Lavry or Benchmark.

The construction is all metal, and first rate. The gold against black is quite stunning. Here's a couple more pics:

The cover opens and closes automatically, but can also be raised by hand. Press the left knob to Stop/Open. Press the right knob to Close/Play. Rotate the right knob clockwise for Next track, counter-clockwise for Prev track.
TCD2000_OpenPerspective.jpg

Yup. it's all metal - note bubble and leveling set screws.
TCD2000_Transport.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Snip ...
How much did you pay for the player?

$1k and change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Sucker, indeed. That is cool looking. Even knowing it's a CDP, I still glanced for a tonearm!
wink.gif
Can't wait for further impressions on it.

Congratulations!

Thanks, I'm loving it.

I know what you mean about the tonearm. It's a very vinyl like operating experience - raise lid, put platter on turntable, place puck on platter, close lid, play. While playing, one sees the cd spinning through the smoked lid - just like it was a little turntable.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 19
Great score, Gene! I admit that I would have bought it on looks alone too - simply beautiful. Build quality appears top-notch too. Enjoy it.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 19
I recall these when they first came onto the market.
They were held in quite high regard in the UK for their excellent value for money.
If my memory serves me correctly they were detailed with and open, but warm sound.
They were particularly good with the DAC.
NICE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back