Pretty cool "audio Illusion" ...
Jul 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 37
It is so enlightening to know there is a whole world of binaural recordings. I think part of the reason there aren't more is because people use speakers to listen to music as well. On speakers, binaural is not very impressive sounding at all.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #17 of 37
It is so enlightening to know there is a whole world of binaural recordings. I think part of the reason there aren't more is because people use speakers to listen to music as well. On speakers, binaural is not very impressive sounding at all.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #19 of 37
Fabulous links, but now my music sounds flat and uninvolving!!!!

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 37
That STAX CD is awesome. One of my favorites. They released a few more but all of them are hard to find. Moreover, the last time I checked, they also commanded quite a nice price.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
Fabulous links, but now my music sounds flat and uninvolving!!!!

Hear, hear! I'd go so far as to say that a ksc75 + binaural recording sounds superior to something like an hd650 + standard music.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 37
The most realistic audio experience I have ever heard.  Some of the examples posted can accuratley sweep the sound up, down, back and forwards.  This technology by far defeats speaker based 2 dimensional plane surround.  What we have here is "true" surround - with a single pair of cans.  I cringe with the realism - my brain is actively being confused with what it hears to be true and challenges my vision declaring false.

I am confused.

The technology for superior surround is evidently available, yet is not used.  When will movie soundtracks incorporate this.  They are making us wear glasses for pathetic 3D effects - what then is the problem with using cans for surround sound that no speaker based system can even come close to achieving.

This effect with my cheapest of cans surpass the "reality" capabilities of my reference multi thousand dollar conventional 2 ch setup.

Why are humans so slow and illogical?  I guess there is more profit to be made, when they sell roof and floor speakers in Dolby Genuinely True HD Surround.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 37
Wow, that barber shop clip was awesome. My first binaural recording ever and I'm very impressed and a little afraid.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #26 of 37
Lol I am surprised some of you here have never heard binaural recordings before
biggrin.gif
 Something like the virtual barber shop is very, very popular, even among those strange humans, called non-audiophiles. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
There used to be a sticky full of links to Binaural stuff. Here is another one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwUVCXH-gM
and another, a compilation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1XuB95qMk

My favourite is the one where there is some German guy, and some lady explaining what he is doing. But I cant find it anymore, I dont remember what it was called.

I don´t remember the exact name but it´s something like kunstkapfgenomgang... Maybe some german can correct the spelling errors!
The first time I heard that I got freaked out... I started to freeze when they opened the window and when she whispered in your ear I just wanted to disappear from the planet :)... Was quite underwhelmed by the scissor cut after that.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #28 of 37
So when you guys listen to these binaural demos, do you hear things go in front of you?

I only hear things go up, down, side to side, and behind, and when they are far behind I get a powerful, and annoying sensation in my upper spinal column.  This is on every headphone I've ever tried, and on every binaural demo that I've ever heard.

It's weird, because in some of them they actually say that they are in front of me, but to my ears they are behind me, and when they do circles around the head it sounds like they are doing semi-circles around back.  I've even tried turning away from my computer thinking that my mind is making it impossible to consider something in front of me because I know a computer is there, but that doesn't work either.  Seems odd since I don't have problems locating sound directions in real life.

Any others have this?  I know one guy on head-fi has the same experience.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #30 of 37

Quote:
So when you guys listen to these binaural demos, do you hear things go in front of you?

I only hear things go up, down, side to side, and behind, and when they are far behind I get a powerful, and annoying sensation in my upper spinal column.  This is on every headphone I've ever tried, and on every binaural demo that I've ever heard.

It's weird, because in some of them they actually say that they are in front of me, but to my ears they are behind me, and when they do circles around the head it sounds like they are doing semi-circles around back.  I've even tried turning away from my computer thinking that my mind is making it impossible to consider something in front of me because I know a computer is there, but that doesn't work either.  Seems odd since I don't have problems locating sound directions in real life.

Any others have this?  I know one guy on head-fi has the same experience.

I find the same thing, rear imaging is superb - left, right, up, and down is eerily pinpoint at the rear - but severely lacking in the front.  What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back