PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #346 of 353
Tried the H6 at the Apple store and wow, they are really good but have a really hefty price tag. Neutral, amazing vocals, natural sound. I did not expect that. I didn't like the Bower and Wilkins full size they had. Anyone know how the Focal Spirit Pros compare?

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #347 of 353
I'm not sure if that's accurate. They use lots of different brands, including JBL, Harbeth, for example. Also, I know that B&W makes some incredible products. their top of the line speakers are outstanding. However, I'm just pointing out that some stodgy audiophiles complain that they are delving farther into the low end and mass consumer markets and over-charging based on their name. It's not my personal opinion, by the way.  

I second this. When I was auditioning my P5's, the store had two of their 802D speakers powered by a McIntosh pre and power amp there. When I heard those played at a moderate volume, I, to my ears, heard audio perfection. Too much money for me, though. LOL

I would actually love a pair of their lower-priced 685's for a 2-channel desktop hi-fi rig for my study though.
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #349 of 353
I have a pair of H6s that will soon be paired with a Oppo HA-1 (in the mail). Eventually ill get a pair of PM-1s for the Oppo, but for now the H6s will be used with with it.

Couple of things to post about B&O in general (and specific to H6s) is that a lot of the value in the product is the design and build quality. Why shouldn't it be? Im always amazed at how little value people put into the design of a product. Saying "X" sounds better at $300 there for "X" is better and the H6 is over priced doesn't make sense to me when "X" looks like Schiit. I've built a premium home theatre, but because its in my home it needs to look as good as it performs, and anything less in a compromise IMO. For me going into audio/video with only considering the way something performs is very narrow and one dimensional, when this hobby is anything but. Ultimately the product is about pleasing the senses, and for me build and design is very much a part of that. 

The same thought is brought into purchasing a portable device which in this case was the original intent of my H6s. My shoes have to look as good as they feel or else I'm comprising, and when it comes to headphones looks are VERY few and far between especially in the 500 and less category. I for one think the H6 is bang on for price. Aluminum, lambskin and more then an ounce of thought into how they look? What else compares to that in its price range?

Anyway, that said ill share how they pair up with the HA-1 once its all up and running. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #350 of 353
I have a pair of H6s that will soon be paired with a Oppo HA-1 (in the mail). Eventually ill get a pair of PM-1s for the Oppo, but for now the H6s will be used with with it.

Couple of things to post about B&O in general (and specific to H6s) is that a lot of the value in the product is the design and build quality. Why shouldn't it be? Im always amazed at how little value people put into the design of a product. Saying "X" sounds better at $300 there for "X" is better and the H6 is over priced doesn't make sense to me when "X" looks like Schiit. I've built a premium home theatre, but because its in my home it needs to look as good as it performs, and anything less in a compromise IMO. For me going into audio/video with only considering the way something performs is very narrow and one dimensional, when this hobby is anything but. Ultimately the product is about pleasing the senses, and for me build and design is very much a part of that. 

The same thought is brought into purchasing a portable device which in this case was the original intent of my H6s. My shoes have to look as good as they feel or else I'm comprising, and when it comes to headphones looks are VERY few and far between especially in the 500 and less category. I for one think the H6 is bang on for price. Aluminum, lambskin and more then an ounce of thought into how they look? What else compares to that in its price range?

Anyway, that said ill share how they pair up with the HA-1 once its all up and running. 

So how does the H6 pair with the HA-1? I'm interested in its Sabre Dac implementation....

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #352 of 353
I got to try a pair of the H-7 BEO play last week I liked them... they are supposed to be very similar to H-6 only wireless. I normally don't like wireless headphones but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. My only issue was what I call the "beats effect" which is where an ok pair of headphones is made to  look cool so that you think they are worth a higher price. I think that if they made a simple version with plastic they wouldn't be able to charge nearly as much. The quality is good, but it seems that a lot of the price is dedicated to the style aspect of the headphones.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #353 of 353
After coming back into headphones after a few years break (got into speakers for the home) I was looking for a pair of closed cans that were comfortable and obviously good in the 200-300 range. Options at the time for me were either Audio Technica MSR7's, Sony MDR1A's, and the B&O H6's.

I demoed the other 2 headphones before trying the H6's and wasn't quite getting the taste I wanted from either of the 2. Before my demo sessions, I was leaning towards the Sony MDR1A because they were what I wanted according to the reviews I read, but disappointingly Sony's bass was way too much for my taste. I can see how they can be fun phones for some people but was a no go for me. Tried on the MSR7's shortly after and they were good and definitely much more neutral and clear... but I wasn't satisfied with their midrange.

A day later I go to a B&O store/boutique (whatever you wanna consider it) and tried on the H6's (1st gen) there without stock cable, it was a B&O replacement cable, no mic, no nothing. Just pure 3.5mm to 3.5mm from B&O. I plugged them directly into my phone and after a couple of tracks I was sold and knew these were it. They sounded much better directly from a smartphone than the other 2 did being driven from proper amps and sources. Absolute lush mids, highs were perfect for my taste, and bass was satisfying. Everything I heard about the Gen 2's were ever so present in these 1st Gens.

I asked the B&O representative after my session about the differences in both the generations and how people claim that both are very different. What he said was that over an extended time they both end up sounding the same, and initially there are variations in manufacturing but assured me again that after a while they are meant to reach a certain signature. (In other words breaking in basically)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back