PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #316 of 353
  So the general consensus is that the H6s are more comfortable than the P7s but the P7s 'sound' better? I haven't found anywhere where I can try these yet so I am relying on impressions (Apple store stock them but I haven't seen any available for trial). 

I find the H6's more comfortable...much lighter and less clamping. Sound wise, I find owning both completely justifiable as they're quite different. The H6s are bang neutral to my ears (more so than any closed portable headphone I've tried) and offer outstanding air and imaging. While the P7's offer a very musical presentation and still very technically proficient (plus they look just AWESOME!). 

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #317 of 353
  I find the H6's more comfortable...much lighter and less clamping. Sound wise, I find owning both completely justifiable as they're quite different. The H6s are bang neutral to my ears (more so than any closed portable headphone I've tried) and offer outstanding air and imaging. While the P7's offer a very musical presentation and still very technically proficient (plus they look just AWESOME!). 

Thanks for that. It seems like I'm leaning towards the P7s at this stage (they so pretty). 
  It is a matter of taste and preference. Some will prefer the sound of the H6, some will prefer the P7 (and many will like both for different reasons).

And just to add some more spice, the Onkyo ES-HF300 sounds like a cross between the H6 and P7!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ahh, don't do that to me! :p

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of sound for comfort this time around. My ES10s have served me well but I just can't wear the things for more than an hour. The Sony MDR-1Rs and Bose QC2s are the most comfortable portables I've tried (Momentums were pretty good too). Hopefully I'll be able to try the H6 and P7 soon and find out for myself (but damn, those ES-HF300s look great too!). 

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #319 of 353
Yeah I mentioned in another thread how much I disliked the Bose. Not sure how to articulate it but they just had no 'life'.

Briefly tried the H6s today. Indeed they are comfortable, but will need to spend more time with them to comment on the sound (the salesman was hanging around the whole time..).

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #320 of 353
Sorry if this is slightly ignorant, but isn't Bang & Olufsen like the European Bose? You pay a lot for a big brand name that some wealthy people have but that is not really appreciated by audio experts. Is that a misconception? 

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #321 of 353
I would agree that most serious audiophiles don't consider Bang & Olufsen to be serious audiophile gear (and they are generally correct - especially in recent years).  However, $399 is not serious audiophile territory anyway.  And, the fact of the matter is that, for comfortable closed-back headphones in this price range, these phones are really good (in my opinion).  Anyone who judges these headphones based on their perception of the brand rather than on the merits of the product is not an audiophile anyway.   Try them on and give them a listen and judge for yourself.  

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #322 of 353
Very good point. Thanks. 

Even audiophile-phobic brands like Bose have their moments, too. While their speaker systems leave a lot to be desired, their iPod docks are pretty decent, and their QC15 cans, though just good from a sound quality perspective, have THE best noice cancelling, bar none. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #323 of 353
  I would agree that most serious audiophiles don't consider Bang & Olufsen to be serious audiophile gear (and they are generally correct - especially in recent years).  However, $399 is not serious audiophile territory anyway.  

It is serious audiophile territory (since it is a great sounding 'phone), as opposed to ridiculous diminishing returns audiophile territory (Abyss, HD800 et al)...

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #324 of 353

It is serious audiophile territory (since it is a great sounding 'phone), as opposed to ridiculous diminishing returns audiophile territory (Abyss, HD800 et al)...

Good point but woah, HD800s are incredible though. Perhaps we should be talking about Stax..
  Sorry if this is slightly ignorant, but isn't Bang & Olufsen like the European Bose? You pay a lot for a big brand name that some wealthy people have but that is not really appreciated by audio experts. Is that a misconception? 

You're spot on. But if the product/s sounds good (to you), does it even matter? Brands like Bose and B&O focused a lot more on sound in there earlier days, now it's mostly about image and how to appeal to the mass market (with a few exceptions; these headphones may be one though I think they are overpriced). In B&Os case though, the products have always been well made (and visually stunning in most instances). 

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #325 of 353
By the way, some audiophiles might argue that B&W/Bowers is becoming the same type of company recently.  Although their products are still really good, they are becoming much more interested in car stereos, iPod docks, etc.  And their home speakers are, arguably, over-priced due to brand recognition when compared with more esoteric boutique brands.  

Of course, these are the same audiophile hipsters that argue that Linn and McIntosh have sold out and become over-priced over-hyped marketing machines. 

I don't buy into that point of view.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #326 of 353
  By the way, some audiophiles might argue that B&W/Bowers is becoming the same type of company recently.  Although their products are still really good, they are becoming much more interested in car stereos, iPod docks, etc.  And their home speakers are, arguably, over-priced due to brand recognition when compared with more esoteric boutique brands.  

Of course, these are the same audiophile hipsters that argue that Linn and McIntosh have sold out and become over-priced over-hyped marketing machines. 

I don't buy into that point of view.

B&W is still the reference used in the biggest recording studios in the world though. And their car stereos sound pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #328 of 353

B&W is still the reference used in the biggest recording studios in the world though. And their car stereos sound pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure if that's accurate.  They use lots of different brands, including JBL, Harbeth, for example.  Also, I know that B&W makes some incredible products.  their top of the line speakers are outstanding.  However, I'm just pointing out that some stodgy audiophiles complain that they are delving farther into the low end and mass consumer markets and over-charging based on their name.  It's not my personal opinion, by the way.  

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #329 of 353
B&O is definitely form before function.  The H6 look mighty fine indeed.  $400-500 isn't too bad for B&O headphones considering the price of some of their other products.

beocom2 - around $1000 for a telephone.  Doesn't even have a color LCD panel.  I guess it can double as a sex toy though.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #330 of 353
Hi,
I've recently bought a H6, after a long hesitation between the B&W, the Momentum the Sony Z1000 and so, the H6.

Let's be honest, they are all very good headphones, and I'm pretty sure you can buy any with confidence.

And let's be realistic, you can find similar quality headphones for much cheaper.

Bang & Olufsen was also, to me, some kind of an European Bose...well made products at unreasonable prices (Vs audio quality).

But the listening session has convinced me they were not that bad.

I first tried the Sony, but even if the audio part is rather good, it wasn't as confortable as the others, and I could not see any thing to justify the price range.

Then the Momentum, which looks terrific in brown.
But my first impression for that one was : IMG, it sounds like my HD25 !
The second impression revealed the Momentum is less V curved than the HD25, and much more confortable.
I don't know if the driver is different or not, but the sound signature is very similar to me, too similar to buy the Momentum.

The P7 was originaly my first choice.
I've had many B&W speakers in the past few years, and I really liked the look and the built quality of the P7. The leather is nicer than on the H6 and it is confortable.
But after a quick listening session, I thought it was not necessarly what I was looking for.
At first I tought it was neutral as it has not so much bass, nor treble, but after a few seconds of Melody Gardot...that P7 is flattering voices.
It is not a CONS, some might like it, and I'm sure I would have been able to live with that, but again, that warm sound was not was I was looking for.

And it sounds even warmer when you're comparing it with the Bang and Olufsen H6.
That one has been a real surprise to me.
First of all, because I trust B&W Sennheiser or Sony more than B&O.
Then, because it sounds very neutral.
It can play anything right, from Electro to Classical, without adding or removing anything.
Not as warm as the P7, not as boomy (in the good way) as the Momentum, just good with any kind of music.
Finally, even if the leather pads or the head band are not as nice as the P7's, it is well made (thanks the chinese), it is very confortable, it is nice, and you don't really pay attention to it (which might be good if you are using your $400 headphones in the train or the bus, as I do).

Excuse my english, my french is way better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back