Presenting... The SONY BAD DESIGN thread!!
Jun 28, 2002 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
I've always thought most electronics designed by sony are very ugly. Let's use this thread to pinpoint the worst sony design of all!!

Here is my contribution...

f_sony_mdrq55sl.jpg

- That is so fscking ugly man!!
mad.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 19
I've seen these before...they came with a happy-meal.

Jun 28, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 19
They bundle 'phones with McDonald's happy meals??
eek.gif

I actually think some of them look pretty good... am I nuts?
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 28, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 19
i thought the cd2000's are about the worse design headphone i've ever put on. i felt like i was wearing a wool turban or somebody put a burlap pillowcase over my head. totally icky.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

I actually think some of them look pretty good... am I nuts?
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Well, in my point of view it's just a matter of personal taste; some have it, some don't.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by linnem
I've seen these before...they came with a happy-meal.

LOL!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 19
OK, yeah, they're butt-ugly, I completely agree with you...
redface.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
OK, yeah, they're butt-ugly, I completely agree with you...
redface.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Thaaat's better...
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken

Well, in my point of view it's just a matter of personal taste; some have it, some don't.
rolleyes.gif

LOL!

anyway, those are indeed examples of bad design IMO. things you wear on your head and are that big shouldn't draw so much attention. they look ok as long as they lie on a table and you don't knwo they're supposed to be headphones
tongue.gif

I like a lot of Sony's pCDP design, the 975 (IIRC the number correctly) looks very basic an classy to me. Sharp reigns in the MD department tho, Sony pMDP's tend to look overly flashy or bland with bad color decisions (pink? pimp red? c'mon!) or just plain bad (the 505 NetMD is so terribly ugly, gawd have mercy!). and why the hell to kids think the V700 looks so terribly cool? when you have it in your hands it's ok, the silveryness is at least more interesting than plain black, but once you put it on your head! if you don't mind me quoting someone: Dork City!

now Philips, that's a company with bad design if there ever was one! well, their televisions are ok, but everything alse looks like a very well succeeded attempt at tacky-ness (their pCDPs in particular!) and all their othe kitchen stuff for some reason always needs to look like toys for a 2 year old.

some pointers for Sony:
chromed plastic looks cheaper than normal plastic
black and gold is the ultimate in bad taste. just don't...

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 19
Oh really?

Depends on what kind of profile you want to have, doesn't it?

I suppose that's good buying advice for insecure nerds that don't want to be noticed, like so many we have here...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Um, guys, do you all just not understand that flashy and gaudy is, in a good amount of sections of youth, a statement of, well, wealth/power? just, kinda, the more "bling bling" you have, the more flashy, gaudy, shiny stuff you got, the better... it's just a fashion statement; the *idea* is to draw attention to yourself!

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 19
I totally agree braver... Crome plastic is the most ugly thing ever associated with electronics. They even put it on cellphones for christs sake!!! LOok at the Nokia 8310 or Ericsson T68... Navigation buttons are crome COMPLETELY undermining the rest of their otherwise cool design.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Um, guys, do you all just not understand that flashy and gaudy is, in a good amount of sections of youth, a statement of, well, wealth/power? just, kinda, the more "bling bling" you have, the more flashy, gaudy, shiny stuff you got, the better... it's just a fashion statement; the *idea* is to draw attention to yourself!

Not where i'm at, that's for sure!!

It seems as if young'uns in Denmark like myself, tend to give more credit to people with "good taste" than to people wearing black and gold headphones to go with their fake "PIMP" tatoo on the neck.

Generally, i think all people wearing shiny sony streetstyles are stupid rather than cool, but perhaps that impression of mine is associated with my deeper knowledge of headphone quality??

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

if you don't mind me quoting someone: Dork City!

Well, it helps if you don't look like a dork to begin with.
Whereas with a HD280, even I look like a dork. And that takes some doing I can tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back