Premium IEM's versus sound quality using Bluetooth using Roku app
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

robertjwarren

100+ Head-Fier
For the last few months, for TV watching, I've been using the iPhone 11 Pro Max or iPad Pro, Roku app on private listening, and Bluetooth headphones - BeatsX, ES3/Plussound BT5 cable and others. I am totally in the dark about how this works. Don't know the CODECs etc.

My feeling is that the sound quality coming thru this combination isn't worthy of higher quality IEM's but as I said I have no idea. The ES3's are my highest quality IEM. Is it worth an upgrade above the ES3's?

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 15
Is there a problem with the sound of your current IEMs? Are they too harsh or boomy? Do you hear distortion or digital artifacting? Do cymbal crashes sound good on really good recordings? If it ain't broke, you don't need to fix it.

With Bluetooth, like lossy, it all depends on the codec. But in my experience, the most current implementations of bluetooth are pretty close to transparent, if not completely transparent. I wouldn't say it's worth worrying about simply in theory. If you aren't happy with the sound, that's a different story.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Is there a problem with the sound of your current IEMs? Are they too harsh or boomy? Do you hear distortion or digital artifacting? Do cymbal crashes sound good on really good recordings? If it ain't broke, you don't need to fix it.

With Bluetooth, like lossy, it all depends on the codec. But in my experience, the most current implementations of bluetooth are pretty close to transparent, if not completely transparent. I wouldn't say it's worth worrying about simply in theory. If you aren't happy with the sound, that's a different story.
Great comment. Sometimes, depending on the program there could be some harshness, but in general the ES3's always sound pretty clean and good.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Well, there are good recordings and bad ones. I usually test quality with better recordings. That way you can hear what they're capable of, not limited by the recording itself.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, there are good recordings and bad ones. I usually test quality with better recordings. That way you can hear what they're capable of, not limited by the recording itself.
Yep that's for sure. The question was mainly for TV watching and routing the audio thru to the iPhone or iPad using various apps

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 15
I think they should be fine if you are happy with them. I have AirPod Pros and they aren't perfect sounding, but they're good enough and extremely functional. Your ES3s are probably better sounding than those.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 15
I think they should be fine if you are happy with them. I have AirPod Pros and they aren't perfect sounding, but they're good enough and extremely functional. Your ES3s are probably better sounding than those.
Thanks for the reply

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 15
For the last few months, for TV watching, I've been using the iPhone 11 Pro Max or iPad Pro, Roku app on private listening, and Bluetooth headphones - BeatsX, ES3/Plussound BT5 cable and others. I am totally in the dark about how this works. Don't know the CODECs etc.

My feeling is that the sound quality coming thru this combination isn't worthy of higher quality IEM's but as I said I have no idea. The ES3's are my highest quality IEM. Is it worth an upgrade above the ES3's?

I pair my A12t's with my PC and phone sometimes.

Really, the whole amp/DAC/DAP is overblown. Is there a difference between the sources? A tiny amount. Is it unworthy? Not really.

Phone outputs are a lot better than most people would care to admit. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 15

Really, the whole amp/DAC/DAP is overblown. Is there a difference between the sources? A tiny amount. Is it unworthy? Not really.

Phone outputs are a lot better than most people would care to admit. You'll be fine.
A12t's are TOTL in my opinion thanks for weighing in

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 15

What do you use to pair the A12t's with the phone?

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 15
What do you use to pair the A12t's with the phone?

With a Fiio BTR1 and BTR3.

BTR1 is hissier, so for my more sensitive IEMs it will hiss. BTR3? No problemo.

Gotta keep in mind, there are people who think there are sound differences when you swap out the power cable in a DAP here, so you have to keep a reference in mind for what your expectations and experiences will be. Whether sincere or dillusional, what you hear whilst hearing fairly (blind, etc) is the important thing.

And I am telling you as someone with a decent IEM those things do not make anywhere near as much difference (to my ears and objectively, if you consider the measurements) as some folk would like.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 15

Gotta keep in mind, there are people who think there are sound differences when you swap out the power cable in a DAP here, so you have to keep a reference in mind for what your expectations and experiences will be. Whether sincere or dillusional, what you hear whilst hearing fairly (blind, etc) is the important thing.

And I am telling you as someone with a decent IEM those things do not make anywhere near as much difference (to my ears and objectively, if you consider the measurements) as some folk would like.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm interested. How did you come to select the A12t and how does it compare to your other IEM's?

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Sorry for all the questions but I'm interested. How did you come to select the A12t and how does it compare to your other IEM's?

Wanted a custom IEM. So I walked into a store, and they had 64 Audio, Empire Ears and JH Audio. Immediately ignored JH Audio as they have dreadful service and ridiculous wait time (up to 6 months), so that left EE and 64 Audio. Hated almost all of the EE line, so moved on to 64 Audio. Liked most of it until I hit the N8 and A12t, both of which I loved. A18s had some funky stuff with hissing and output impedance so that was discounted from the decision. Chose the A12t as in the end, the bass was more than enough and since it'll be a custom, bass would be even more (I was right). N8 was fun for some music (absurd bass) but not so great for non-bassy songs.

And then I repeated the entire exercise blind until I hit the A12t again (all the 64 Audio line-ups have the same shell shape) so I then pulled the metaphorical trigger.

The A12t is:

* More expensive than my other IEMs :frowning2:
* Better bass extension so it feels more like a mini-subwoofer than other earphones
* Mimics the 'feel' of a dynamic driver in terms of bass (refer to point above)
* Good pinnae gain, so the sense of a 'stage' (controversy alert!) is more apparent
* No recessed mids despite the bass, so voices are clear and center

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 15

Wanted a custom IEM. So I walked into a store, and they had 64 Audio, Empire Ears and JH Audio. Immediately ignored JH Audio as they have dreadful service and ridiculous wait time (up to 6 months), so that left EE and 64 Audio. Hated almost all of the EE line, so moved on to 64 Audio. Liked most of it until I hit the N8 and A12t, both of which I loved. A18s had some funky stuff with hissing and output impedance so that was discounted from the decision. Chose the A12t as in the end, the bass was more than enough and since it'll be a custom, bass would be even more (I was right). N8 was fun for some music (absurd bass) but not so great for non-bassy songs.

And then I repeated the entire exercise blind until I hit the A12t again (all the 64 Audio line-ups have the same shell shape) so I then pulled the metaphorical trigger.
Thanks and stay healthy!

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 15

The A12t is:

* More expensive than my other IEMs :frowning2:
* Better bass extension so it feels more like a mini-subwoofer than other earphones
* Mimics the 'feel' of a dynamic driver in terms of bass (refer to point above)
* Good pinnae gain, so the sense of a 'stage' (controversy alert!) is more apparent
* No recessed mids despite the bass, so voices are clear and center

I would be willing to help you out if you don't mind giving JH Audio another shot. Our turn around time is the fastest in the industry, even as fast as same day on some occasions. If you personally had a bad experience in the past please let us make it up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back