Prelude DAC vs dedicated DAC
Apr 8, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
Now, would it make much difference if I bought a cheap dedicated DAC such as a Alien DAC or Monica USB? I'm getting my auzentech prelude in a couple days(hopefully), and I'm not sure if i made the right choice..
To be 100% honest, I can't tell the difference from 192kbps encoded mp3's against lossless... I can't hear the difference using ASIO vs default... I guess I'm not that sensitive to resolution... Not enough to appreciate it at least..
Will a cheap dedicated dac however, offer better clarity, blacker/cleaner spaces, etc? Will it affect the tonal signature at all? And is it worth it(meaning, is a $50-100 solution a significant upgrade, if at all, from my prelude)

Thanks -

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 6
What do you have now for a soundcard? I had an Audigy 2zs and it was hard for me to tell the difference between 192 and lossless. Once I put my Auzentech Prelude in, it was easy to tell. I'd assume your speakers/HP's would make a difference also.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, right now I have a splitter on the front L/R jack on the prelude going to my Little Dot MKIV and my Klipsch speakers. I'm wondering if I would notice an improvement in sound if I bought an external DAC to accept the SPDIF from my prelude, or if the $200 wouldn't make much difference for my Beyer 990's. Maybe someone would be kind enough to answer both questions, even though they are almost the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 6

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 6
if i could do it all over, i wouldve skipped the whole soundcard issue (creative,auzentech,bgear,emu,cmedia,etc) and went straight for a higher end dedicated DAC - USB/SPDIF/I2S. Ive played games with the dedicated DAC and it's fine...obviously no EAX/A3D and stuff. These things don't even need drivers to work.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 6
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. It doesn't matter where you start: source - interconnect - amp - cable - HP/speakers - ears: all need to match eachother in capability. If you can't hear the difference, it's not important anymore. It might be a sign of a problem anywhere else in the chain though.
Also, what one finds important often dictates the emphasis you place on certain things: if you like a warm sound, you're likely not going to look for a more neutral amp if you now have a slightly warm one.
So the question boils down to: what is your setup, and what did you try already (next to what you describe)?

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 6
AH-D1000's..
I'm really just starting here... these are my first headphones that would deem itself 'acceptable' on these forums..
I could have gone straight for HD650's, but it didn't seem like such a bright idea running them without an amp.
HFI 780's and dt770s were another option, but in the end, the d1000's were the cheapest, extremely comfortable, and it's supra-aural size and clean/simple styling lets me wear it in public too without drawing too much attention..
So instead of spending 250 on a setup like I planned, i spent $100.. and well threw another $130 on the prelude.
Note - student with no job, so I'm rationing my savings on leisure's till I graduate and start earning money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back