Prefer headphones or speakers and why???
May 12, 2006 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

silence57

100+ Head-Fier
I've found myself listening to headphones a lot in the past few years (except when driving!). It seems more personal and I seem to be really focused on the music. Only very lately have I returned to my reasonably good sound system, sitting down and listening. I think it depends on my mood (relaxed, intense) and how "seriously" I want to listen to the music.

Simplistically, I enjoy the bass feel of my speaker system and the detail with a good headphone set-up.

Being able to listen both ways is great! If I had to choose one, I would go with a speaker system --- but a very hard choice.

May 12, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 49
I used to be a big speaker guy but now I love the sheer intimacy of headphones. I think you can get pretty good sound on the cheap with cans.

May 12, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 49
A top notch speaker system is hard to match. The way that speakers can fill up the room and the width of the soundstage cannot be reproduced by headphones. However, even the most expensive speakers just don't give you that detail and intimacy that a good headphone setup can give you. Listening to vocals, you can hear the timbres of the voice much better than with speakers. Listening to orchestral, you can get a great feel for the orchestration of piece ("ahh, I didn't realize that the third trumpet was playing the same line as the second horn here"). Both are great at what they do. Recently, I have found myself much more enthralled by my [much cheaper] headphone setup, but I go back and forth.

May 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 49
Hmmmmmmm.......

Ok; here's the deal:

I spent many years putting together just the right speaker system, it was great!! Sounded just exactly like what I wanted!! Super happy dude!!

Then we moved to a new house.

My new room; the most important piece of audio componentry in the house.......

........is absolutely hideous!!

My rooms' poor acoustics have destroyed my beautifull sound system!!
frown.gif

It still works great(thank goodness)for home theater and many varities of music that don't require pin-point accuracy. But for the critical stuff, I use my cans(which I studied long and hard to find a set with the same sonic signature as my speakers).

For the big orchestral pieces, my speaker system is still unbeaten as those towers and the sub can really fill the room! But for the intimate forms of sounds, the cans reign supreme!!

May 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 49
a top notch speaker system will blow away a top notch headphone system. I prefer speakers, but you can't play them loud.
basshead.gif

May 12, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 49
If the sound quality of my speakers and headphones were the same and I had the perfect room, I would prefer speakers. They allow me to get up and dance with the music or to lay down and just relax.

May 12, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 49
Speakers, the entire room filled with sound you can feel aswell as hear, and nothing on your head to deter the enjoyment of the music. Sure, it might not be as detailed and not as good for the same amount of money, but the enjoyment is so much higher for me.

May 12, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 49
A few months ago a friend helped me (well, he did most of the work) finish my basement which had been nothing more than junk storage for the past 25 years.
Since that time, I have basically stopped listening to full-sized cans, except for the K1000s. As many of you are aware, I'm kind of a collector of headphones..........and speakers have now joined the fold. As with the different headphones I have, the speakers I've acquired over the years exhibit varied sonic signatures. To me, it's fascinating to hear how each manufacturer has voiced their speakers.
I think I may have gone a bit overboard recently, though. Right now, I'm listening to some crooners from the 1930s on a vintage Electro-Voice Baronet speaker. It's a small folded horn in a mahogany enclosure, and it is stamped, "Under License From Klipsch." It is a pre-1959, pre-stereo speaker. It's the way that this type of music was designed to be heard..........and, to my ears, it sounds absolutely wonderful.
For other music I use my stereo gear.
The only time I use 'phones these days is when I'm taking a walk, working in the yard, etc., and the 'phones are IEMs.
I enjoy it all.
biggrin.gif

Here's some pics of my headphones, gear, and speakers in the basement. A lot more has entered since these pics were taken..... I need a bigger basement.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 49
I listen to 'phones more than speakers these days, partly because I have four children asleeep upstairs.

One thing you can't (easily) do with speakers is try loads of different sets depending on your mood.

So far today I have listened to Apple in-ear earbuds, PX100's HD457's and HD201's.

I find headphones more personal and more fun.

Simon

May 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic

One thing you can't (easily) do with speakers is try loads of different sets depending on your mood.

headphone rolling? I like it.

May 12, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I think I may have gone a bit overboard recently, though.

Understatement of the year by the look of the Pics!

Awesome collection you have there.

Simon

May 12, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
A few months ago a friend helped me (well, he did most of the work) finish my basement which had been nothing more than junk storage for the past 25 years.
Since that time, I have basically stopped listening to full-sized cans, except for the K1000s. As many of you are aware, I'm kind of a collector of headphones..........and speakers have now joined the fold. As with the different headphones I have, the speakers I've acquired over the years exhibit varied sonic signatures. To me, it's fascinating to hear how each manufacturer has voiced their speakers.
I think I may have gone a bit overboard recently, though. Right now, I'm listening to some crooners from the 1930s on a vintage Electro-Voice Baronet speaker. It's a small folded horn in a mahogany enclosure, and it is stamped, "Under License From Klipsch." It is a pre-1959, pre-stereo speaker. It's the way that this type of music was designed to be heard..........and, to my ears, it sounds absolutely wonderful.
For other music I use my stereo gear.
The only time I use 'phones these days is when I'm taking a walk, working in the yard, etc., and the 'phones are IEMs.
I enjoy it all.
biggrin.gif

Here's some pics of my headphones, gear, and speakers in the basement. A lot more has entered since these pics were taken..... I need a bigger basement.
biggrin.gif

You have a very nice collection of vintage audio equipment! That's my kind of playroom!

May 13, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 49
The source shelf looks more like a command centre. Looks like it can even intercept extraterrestrial signal from outer space. That is serious hardcore.
By the way, is it only me that thinks the black speakers looks like they got a giant Ipod control wheel in the middle?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back