Predator with Ety ER-4S as upgrade?
Aug 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

catchthefish

New Head-Fier
I currently use an Ipod (30GB) with a Total Airhead and Etymotic's ER-4S. I listen mostly to prog and heavy rock and my favourite bands are Rush, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard. My other phones are Grado SR 80s which I only use at home.

I am considering an upgrade. I wish to stick with the Etys although they may not be best suited to my listening tastes. I mainly listen on my commute in to London and require the good isolation that the Etys give.

I do however wish to upgrade the amplifier. I had originally planned to stick with Headroom and get a Micro Amp. However after reading the posts on this board I am inclining towards an RSA Predator. Reviews tend to imply that the Predator is good with IEMs but can anyone confirm how it sounds with the Etys?

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm using iPod/Predator/ER4S combination at subways in Tokyo (very very noisy environment).
Predator/ER4S sounds warm slightly, but it has enough detailed sound and enough bass punch. So I'm enjoying Annie Lennox, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, George Michael, and even Sarah Brightman with this combination.

Well, I confirm there is one big problem. Predator is pricy. It has USB DAC feature, so if you don't use USB, it may be difficult to convince yourself about the price.

I hope this helps.

Predator.jpg

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
The Predator may be pricey, but its SQ, build quality, 56-hour battery life, and customer service make it stand out amongst its competitors.

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies.

1 I would certainly use the DAC option.

2 I agree that the Predator looks pricey but firstly I want to make an upgrade where I will hear a significant improvement on my current rig.

3 To add DAC to the Headroom Micro Amp is an extra $200 making it $600 which makes the Predator price look better.
k701smile.gif

4 It looks even better if you are paying from a sterling bank account (although not so good if one gets caught for tax)
frown.gif

5 From the look of the picture the Predator will easily fit in my Headroom Ipod system bag.

Finally DPRJ I would like to ask if you have already done the long burn in, perhaps the only thing putting me off the Predator?

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by catchthefish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally DPRJ I would like to ask if you have already done the long burn in, perhaps the only thing putting me off the Predator?

I think so. I got my predator in 12/26/2007. Since then, I have been using it 3 or 4 days in every week (other days for other amps
wink_face.gif
) and around 6 hours per day.

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 6
just leave it on at night 10 hours a night for a fortnight.

bang 200 hours.

then listen normally and u will have 3-400 in no time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back