Predator vs Ibasso D3?
Oct 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andyph666@gmail.com

New Head-Fier
I use the macbook and an iphone and was wondering which of the two I should get. I'm trying to justify that the predator is almost twice the price of the d3. Is there a big difference between the two? I'd prefer it with a dac as I'd like to plug it into my pc and macbook. I've read a lot of good things about both. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Although I don't have a Predator, I do have a D2 that is opamp-cloned to sound almost identical to the Predator, but when comparing it to my D3, I personally prefer the sound of the D3. I think the most apparent difference between the two is the imaging and soundstage.

(When "cloning" the D2, it was compared side-by-side to a Predator)

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 14
i have a predator wit +1000hrs and a D2 Boa with +400hrs... the soundstage diff is definitely there... with my 530s the predator puts out a much "cleaner" line out and can drive my HD650s without a problem... the D3 is suppose to be the D2 but on batteries, the headphones you have aren't to hard to drive i think, so go with the D3 you shouldn't be dissipointed

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't have a Predator, I do have a D2 that is opamp-cloned to sound almost identical to the Predator, but when comparing it to my D3, I personally prefer the sound of the D3. I think the most apparent difference between the two is the imaging and soundstage.

(When "cloning" the D2, it was compared side-by-side to a Predator)

what opamps did you use to make it predator like?

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what opamps did you use to make it predator like?

LTC6241HV in LR, LMH6655 in ground.

They are available as a kit. If interested, PM.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Well...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did my research and pico / predator just cannot compete with the D3 price performance ratio. Even though the 2move has had a price reduction, the lack of a line out for the DAC was the big con for me.
I finally pulled the trigger and mine is on the way.
I am glad that ibasso was out of stock for 2 weeks to give me some calm time to decide but I am excited...will post my own review when it arrives and when it is burned in.

I tried to get a predator for close to the same price but could not...and price in today's economy is the big factor for me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyph666@gmail.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the macbook and an iphone and was wondering which of the two I should get. I'm trying to justify that the predator is almost twice the price of the d3. Is there a big difference between the two? I'd prefer it with a dac as I'd like to plug it into my pc and macbook. I've read a lot of good things about both. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 14
Go with the predator unless you use the iphone in airplane mode with the D3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyph666@gmail.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 14
You might also want to see what eaches return policy is. You might be able to get both amps and see which one you like most and then send the other one back.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi guys, I also have this problem. I want to know if the preda or the pico's much higher price worth it compared to the D3. I will us is with my macbook and SR225. I just tested the D3 (amp only), and it is ok for the grado.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 14
I do not know if I am late with this news, but I just got an email nack from IBasso informing me that they are discontinuing the D3 line. If I were to purchase a D2, is there an upgrade chip that will make the amp sound more like the D3?

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know if I am late with this news, but I just got an email nack from IBasso informing me that they are discontinuing the D3 line. If I were to purchase a D2, is there an upgrade chip that will make the amp sound more like the D3?

Try the newer D10, which is said to be better than the D2 and D3
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back