Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 11, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #2,686 of 3,652
@Precogvision, I ask you because I know for sure you've listened to both. I'm trying to decide between the Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and the Symphonium Helios. At this point, it seems it'll come down to fit for me. I know they're both pretty big and can be a tough fit for people, but I'm wondering if you could give me an idea of how they compare in size/fit.

I can't seem to find a side-by-side picture of them anywhere online.

Thank you!

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,687 of 3,652
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,689 of 3,652
Very interesting

This is a bit out of topic, but anyone here a fan of the old Nickelodeon show Jimmy Neutron?

Edit: Very off topic given that was taking about a kid's show which has nothing to do with audio.

There is an episode about him working at a fast food restaurant called McSpankies, he gets ridiculed for making many mistakes while working and decides to spruce up the place by implementing a super computer that manages the entire restaurant.

Jimmy also created a tongue scanner which reads your taste buds, allowing the AI to know what your ideal burger cooking temperature is.

Imagine a set of ear plugs that scans your brainwaves to know what is your ideal tonal preference is? Sounds like something Etymotic would invent in the year 2050.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.javeo.android.neutralizer

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #2,690 of 3,652
@Precogvision, I ask you because I know for sure you've listened to both. I'm trying to decide between the Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and the Symphonium Helios. At this point, it seems it'll come down to fit for me. I know they're both pretty big and can be a tough fit for people, but I'm wondering if you could give me an idea of how they compare in size/fit.

Thank you!
Monarch's fit is definitely large but manageable. My biggest issue is the hump at the bottom that can add unnecessary pressure to the bottom of the ear canal, though, despite this it is definitely wearable for hours at a time. I'd say easier to fit than the blessing 2 for a reference

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2,691 of 3,652
Hello @Precogvision

Recently I have become a bit interested in the FatFreq Maestro Mini. Is it possible for you to provide a comparison of it with the Dunu Vulkan (from memory is fine)? From the graph it seems that Maestro Mini has a bit more emphasis on the presence and Air region, while the treble is about the same between them. But Maestro mini also has an obscene amount of bass compared to Vulkan...so in the end how do they play out?

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #2,692 of 3,652

Thank you!

I think the fit of the Helios is more contentious because of the sharper angles. But I haven't had them side-by-side in a long time, and I wear most IEMs comfortably, so it's not something I pay close attention to. Sorry I can't help more!

Hello @Precogvision

Recently I have become a bit interested in the FatFreq Maestro Mini. Is it possible for you to provide a comparison of it with the Dunu Vulkan (from memory is fine)? From the graph it seems that Maestro Mini has a bit more emphasis on the presence and Air region, while the treble is about the same between them. But Maestro mini also has an obscene amount of bass compared to Vulkan...so in the end how do they play out?

Hmm, they have some similarities, but I think the Maestro Mini is better in terms of pure sound quality. The Vulkan's bass is more pillowy and it has more of a mid-treble focus. So you have a somewhat hazy, relaxed, and more musical sound. The Maestro Mini's bass has some pillowy-ness too (it doesn't have the snappiest attack), but it's a lot more impactful and big sounding. The Maestro Mini also has more linear, extended treble which begets something closer to a two-channel presentation with a subwoofer.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #2,693 of 3,652
I forgot to mention that I had a great time at CanJam SoCal 2022 this weekend! The turnout of both manufacturers and attendees was incredible; I got to hear so many new things and connect with faces old and new. I'm a bit more pressed for time these days; I don't think I can keep up with my old pace where I'd have a writeup out a few hours after each day of the show. But I should have a full show report and impressions published in the next couple days - be on the lookout for that!

CanjamSocal2022-10.jpg

CanJamSocal2022-8.jpg

CanJamSocal2022-7.jpg

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #2,694 of 3,652
I forgot to mention that I had a great time at CanJam SoCal 2022 this weekend! The turnout of both manufacturers and attendees was incredible; I got to hear so many new things and connect with faces old and new. I'm a bit more pressed for time these days; I don't think I can keep up with my old pace where I'd have a writeup out a few hours after each day of the show. But I should have a full show report and impressions published in the next couple days - be on the lookout for that!

CanjamSocal2022-10.jpg
CanJamSocal2022-8.jpg
CanJamSocal2022-7.jpg
Sounds great 👌

Have you listened to the empire ears odyseey or campfire audio supermoon?

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #2,695 of 3,652

CanjamSocal2022-10.jpg

It was great to be able to say hello and connect a face to the name of all the reviews I've read through!

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,697 of 3,652
That's a lot of IEMs!

Looking forward to the Symphonium Meteor review, a BA set giving the Variations potential competition is nothing to scuff at.

I'm guessing the Meteor will be around $600 given it's being compared to the Variations.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #2,698 of 3,652
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #2,699 of 3,652
Great recap! It was great seeing you again this year and meeting your friend! There were so many IEMs and other gear to listen to, it was hard to catch up. I didn't get a chance to try out the U3t and Jewel, so I'll try to listen to those next year. Did you try any of the new FiR Audio IEMs?

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,700 of 3,652
@Precogvision
Did you ever have a chance to hear IEMs from the German brand Inear?
I finally had the chance to (briefly) visit a shop that had the famous U12T available for demo, and it sounded good, but when the sales rep brought the Inear Prophile 8 and the relativley new ProMission X I was seriously impressed by the significantly greater sense of clarity, layering and detail, while maintaining excellent balance. I had way too little time with them but they reminded me of the Hifiman Susvara (which I also heard only briefly…)

Bottomline: I didn’t spend nearwhere enough time but can’t stop thinking about them. I would love to hear your take on the ProMission X.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back